Author Topic: input wanted on lining out a suitable long term paddleboard set up-tall guy  (Read 9743 times)

Boardfit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hello all. I'm 6'8" and about 240 athletic build and I just recently bought a 10-6 California board co from Sam's  club for 400ish. It's a ton of fun, but after 10+ hours on it, it's painfully obvious that the board isn't stable enough for my size. I'm looking at an Atlas or an Avanti right now in the $1000 range. Any input would be appreciated.

Primary use is cruising my lake and river waterways looking around at stuff. Chillin is how I describe it. I like a 90" or 92" paddle.

Thanks.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Yikes....we need to start a zone football team.

Welcome to the zone. I can't be much help unfortunately. Where are you located? Availabilty of used boards varies a lot by region. Any opportunities to demo? Given your stats I think you might want to broaden your search. 240 and athletic doesn't say Atlas or Avanti to me though either would work for just chillin....in fact you could bring a keg with you so maybe..... ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:27:07 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Boardfit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks. I'm in southern alabama, birmingham actually. I thought the atlas and avanti were made just for stability and big riders. Is that not the case?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Yes it is but at 240 and athletic I think you might be more than you need stability wise. You have 4" on me but I'm 40 lbs heavier and have balance problems. I have a mix of mostly big guy boards and none is as big as the Avanti. If you were planning to surf I might say otherwise. The Atlas might be OK at 33" but I don't think you'll need 36" and I think 11-2 x 36 and rockered for surf would be a bit slow in flat water. 

Truthfully though its really very personal. On a lake I would probably never fall in on my 12-6 x 30 and I wouldn't even be thinking about any wider boards. That biases my thoughts a bit. If you want max stability so you can fish on it, take the dog, or even just chillin that 36 might be fine, though I can do all of those , and have, on my 12-6. Like I said...demo if you can, it will make all the difference. Have you tried many boards other than the one you bought?  If you haven't you should even if its isn't the exact models you are interested in. It will at least give you some idea of what feels good to you.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 05:43:32 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Boardfit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yes it is but at 240 and athletic I think you might be more than you need stability wise. You have 4" on me but I'm 40 lbs heavier and have balance problems. I have a mix of mostly big guy boards and none is as big as the Avanti. If you were planning to surf I might say otherwise. The Atlas might be OK at 33" but I don't think you'll need 36" and I think 11-2 x 36 and rockered for surf would be a bit slow in flat water. 

Truthfully though its really very personal. On a lake I would probably never fall in on my 12-6 x 30 and I wouldn't even be thinking about any wider boards. That biases my thoughts a bit. If you want max stability so you can fish on it, take the dog, or even just chillin that 36 might be fine, though I can do all of those , and have, on my 12-6. Like I said...demo if you can, it will make all the difference. Have you tried many boards other than the one you bought?  If you haven't you should even if its isn't the exact models you are interested in. It will at least give you some idea of what feels good to you.
thanks again, this is all brand new to me and i have a lot to learn about the boards. I've been on a big rental Yolo the first time for 45 minutes in choppy water with high winds, a 230lb max rider dicks sporting goods board, and then I now own a 10'6" by 31" by 5" board. The only thing I've noticed is that I have to work too hard to stay upright on any of them.  I know that's not much to go on but that's all I got right now. I guess I'll utube some of this stuff and listen to some folks talk.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
No worries, we were all there not so long ago. How many hours have you spent on the board? Like I said I had pretty severe balance problems. It took me months before I stopped falling off the 12-6 x 30 but less than a year later I paddled the 1st CCBC on it. Time on water will solve a lot of problems.....you may just not have enough yet. 10-6 x 31 x 5 does sound small as a first board for a guy your size but you might find it feels OK after a month or so of use. Maybe work on it for the summer on that board and look for deals in the fall. It would give you some time to demo and find exactly what you would like.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:06:03 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

Boardfit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I barely ever fall ...I've got 12 hours in...and now I can handle the wakes that boats and such cause when they go by...it just seems like my legs are constantly trying to balance and I'm thinking a board change could help that a lot. How would I know if I have good balance or not anyway? I've always typically had good athletic skills so I'm gonna assume that my balance is good for a tall guy. I'm nowhere near agile as the little short guys though.

There is a custom board company here in Bham that I could prolly try some boards out at.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
You and I are just about the same size. I'm 6'7 and 240#. Everyone asks me if I play basketball.  My distance / racing paddle is Ke Nalu 95 'Maliko' x-tuff shaft with the extended ego "T" handle 91" long. My surfing paddle Quick Blade 110 Elite 85" long. You need a 29" to 31" range width x 14' long minimum. Something with a recessed deck (foot well) is a plus. 

http://www.rivierapaddlesurf.com/collections/touring/products/riviera-14-voyager

http://www.surftech.com/sup/bark-eliminator-0

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Boardfit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks a bunch tall guy.how does the length help the side to side stability?  Side to side is what's so hard right now.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Atlas over Avanti for sure if it's between those two.   

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

BigGuy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
@Boardfit  - Im a BIG guy, 335lbs  6'2" and had an AWESOME discussion with loads of members on this site about boards for Bigger guys.  Click Here to check it out.

Im bigger then you and I ordered a  Starboard Atlas Extra 12' x 36".  Im a beginner but i do kiteboard on a surfboard and after talking to everyone I settled with this one..  Why?  It's wide.. Stability should be awesome with a board that wide, and Length.  The board offers up enough displacement for me as a Beginner(SUP, I Kiteboard) to get the hand of it and use it on flat water and the waves in the lake here as I progress..  There is a model that is not as wide that would work for someone your size too.

The most recommended board from other members for a bigger guy was the Starboard Avanti 11'2" x 36".  It was better for the lighter of the big guys(like you) and useful in flat water and in waves.

Ill post in the other topic how the board works for me when i get it(hopefully monday) and give it a shot.  Check out that topic.  Lots of info from several big riders!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:43:40 PM by BigGuy »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
You'll definitely want to get another board. What you have I certainly wouldn't recommend but if you can stand without falling in boat wakes and chop after just 12 hours on that board you have decent balance and it will feel much easier with more hours in. You eventually won't even think about it unless conditions get crazy. Pretty much everyone has good balance compared to me though and what I was looking for in a board (the challenge of balancing) is exactly opposite of what you're looking for.

Part of what is throwing me I think is the title of your post....if you're looking for a long term solution I don't think real wide is the way to go. If nothing else give yourself a little time to find out what works...long term solutions shouldn't be made in haste.....of course the reality is that in a year you'll be posting about your 3rd board....the custom 14' x 28" touring board you're having made..... ;)
Bob

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
It took me about 4 years and hundreds of miles to go from a 31" wide race type board to a 25" race board. You'll get there with time on the water.
It's not overhead to me!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks a bunch tall guy.how does the length help the side to side stability?  Side to side is what's so hard right now.
More surface area adds to stability. You will eventually want a board that glides better, goes in a straighter line, a has more speed. At 240# you need at least a 14' board to get some glide. To be competitive in racing you'll need to go even longer.
It's not overhead to me!

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
I am about 1/2 your size, but I think I can help with some feedback from a giant friend of mine.
He's 6'4", about 210 pounds, huge shoulders and very athletic.
Up to this point, he's been riding 12'6 boards. They were okay, after all, it got him into the sport to being with, so no real complaints from him.

However, he came over the house and tried my ACE GT; it's a 17'4 x 27".
The long board means more surface on the water (aka wetted area), thus more width of your board in contact with the water. This yields a little more stability.
Everything else being equal, more length also means more speed - and for this guy, it was even more noticeable with GPS in hand.

I am not saying the Starboard ACE GT is for you, but you should really try longer boards - if you get a chance. Depending on your goals, you may never look back.
Like I said, I am short (5'6 x 130 pounds) so don't take my words for it. Go ask people who are about your size AND have actually tried a longer board.

They are know as UL (or Unlimited boards).
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard