Author Topic: Challenge on the Charles 2015  (Read 5582 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Challenge on the Charles 2015
« on: July 07, 2015, 08:32:03 PM »
How the hell did I not post this earlier....losing my mind?

The Challenge on the Charles is July 25th. I love this event. To me this event signifies the good fortune we had to have Chaser join the CCBC. This is his baby and the 1st one set the bar for all subsequent CCBC events.

An absolutely beautiful venue, and a fun course with potentially widely varying conditions all in one race. New England's best are pretty much all there along with folks just out for a paddle. It's all about the stoke like all CCBC events, nice trophies, bragging rights, and some schwag but it's as much about hanging with the crew and the always awesome afta pahty! (I threw that in for Bill since after a week here he starts getting some of his accent back)

I'll tell Chaser to chime in with the menu for the dinner but as usual this is NOT your average spread. Usually 3 different Wachusett brews on tap, a few different Barefoot wines, Polar waters and Essentia, to quench your post race thirst. Food in the past has been passed hors d'oeuvres before dinner, beef tenderloins, soy/ginger chicken, salads, grilled veggies, breads.....ohh and oysters...though this year we won't have as many since we are paying (it was nice having an oyster sponsor)...  ;D

Don't forget your significant other and your dancing shoes too.....after dinner and awards the Smoking Jackets rock the place.

To register:

http://capecodbaychallenge.memberlodge.com/

Also very cool that you can take a walk to visit Christopher's Haven during the open house before the race. Easy 5 min walk to CH and there are volunteers in the parking lot that can direct you and keep an eye on boards.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:37:33 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge on the Charles 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:27:08 PM »
I'll be there, though all the planning we did was for the race to be on the 18th. I don't know if that was my mistake or yours. No big deal, we'll stay the extra few days, though the daughters and grandkids won't be at the race. I doubt they'll be all that upset. We plan a nice week of family get-togethers and an opportunity to toast Mom with some good champagne.

I'd say I need to pick up the pace and train some for the race, but it's a bit late for that. I'm spending most days now in my shop, trying to figure out why Peyote has a terrible miss at low RPM. Ah, well, at least I'm in training for eating clams and drinking beer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 03:31:16 AM »
Just signed up as I look forward to this event all year !! Also bringing family this year to enjoy the party and cheer on the racers !!!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 04:14:53 AM »
love that dirty water!

Chaser

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 05:41:13 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Stoney.  We were unbelievably fortunate to hook up with the people from Community Boating several years ago.  They provide us with the venue on the Charles River for this event (free of charge).  Their generosity is much appreciated.

I don't have the menu figured out fully yet but Family Crest Catering will knock it out of the park this year as they have in the past.

One addition this year is that we planning to have a kids fun race in the lagoon area near the dock.  We hooked up with and awesome board manufacturer called KYPAD (www.kypad.com) and they are going to sponsor the race by bringing down a few of their boards and paddles for the kids to use in the race.  I bought my daughter one of these boards (she is 8) and she absolutely loves it.  If you are bringing the kids to the event and they are little SUPrs, plan on having them join in on the race.  It will go off around 1pm and will most likely be a relay with two teams.

Whatever floats me

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 06:14:25 AM »
It's the most spectacular race I do, in cars or SUP: Venue, the race itself, the food and drink, the party and the people. Odd thing to say for a guy who's done numerous Monterey Historic and Sears Point Wine Country Classic races, but it's true.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 06:29:12 PM »
I paddle for the after party! This is absolutely THE PREMIER BOSTON PADDLE EVENT!!!!!!! The venue, the ohana, the cause- it's my number one favorite event of the year. Hands down. Love you CCBC! See ya Saturday!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 07:49:06 PM »
Party!....ooh....paddle too..... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 07:37:25 AM »
Fun day. We missed Chaser, the crew was a little smaller, and the party not quite as crazy but it went smoothly, lots of smiles, lots of tears too. What a great family and community we are a part of.
Bob

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 04:06:58 PM »
Great time at the Challenge on the Charles. Nice to see some zoner friends Pono Bill, Padlesurfer and Stoney. Pono had a secret weapon this year his original 12'6" Starboard. Quess what he kicked the youngsters asses and came in first. Congrats to PDLSFR for coming in third. As the photos show this was indeed a family affair.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 09:04:35 PM »
Thanks Eddie....great pics as usual. I did give Pono some special treatment in letting him run a 12-6 in the 12-2 and under surfboard class but that board is definitely a surfboard, by far the oldest board there, and waterlogged to boot. Has to weigh about 40 lbs at the moment. Pono also gave up 30 years to 2nd place. I was talking to Jay today and he said "I've been paddling for 5 years and yesterday following your brother I finally learned how to paddle". He took a bunch of time off his usual CCBC training route today by changing how he paddles.
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 12:14:43 AM »
Back in Hood River, seems like we've been gone a month, though it was just a week and a few days. Fun race, though it was a lot of work pushing that old Starby around the course. I was convinced it was sinking on me on the last leg, but it didn't seem any heavier when I picked it up. Great folks to spend a day with, and a great party. What an amazing venue that is for a race and a pleasant evening after. I still can't believe there are folks that don't stay for the party. The Smoking Jackets rocked as usual, what a great band that is.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 12:41:55 AM »
Great pics and love the Downwind Warriors jersey you're rocking PB. Although, with all the paddling you've done in that jersey, it is best admired from afar and upwind, or in a photo. Seriously, that really does look like an awesome venue and the pictures are really good.

I need to make up my mind about booking to hit the Gorge race. I had decided 'no' but I may reconsider. Saw DK this morning and he'd just gotten back from the canoe races there. Sounded like a blast. Love the energy in the Gorge. We got a nice fat south swell that's lighting up the west side. Thousand Peaks has been really fun.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 05:08:05 AM »
Thanks to Bob and his family for making it the greatest SUP event of the year, PonoBill one of these years I will catch you !!

Knowing how great this event is and how tight the CCBC family is, I brought my sister and my brother-in-law this year, they were blown away by the organization, comradery, and emotional ties this group has. They commented how much fun it was, how great the food was, how everyone was so friendly and welcoming to new faces. Of course my family thought the raffle was over the top, maybe that's because my girlfriend kept winning, item after item, and yeah I managed to win one or two (still got my eye's on that Naish board) !!

My sister, has run the Boston Marathon and countless other big road races, she told me that this event was by far better than any event she's been a part of and next year, she's paddling .... guess I need to buy a few more boards !!

Thanks again to the CCBC crew, fellow paddlers, the handful of Zoners in attendance and everyone that make this event such a success !!!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 06:10:36 AM »
Great pics and love the Downwind Warriors jersey you're rocking PB. Although, with all the paddling you've done in that jersey, it is best admired from afar and upwind, or in a photo. Seriously, that really does look like an awesome venue and the pictures are really good.

I need to make up my mind about booking to hit the Gorge race. I had decided 'no' but I may reconsider. Saw DK this morning and he'd just gotten back from the canoe races there. Sounded like a blast. Love the energy in the Gorge. We got a nice fat south swell that's lighting up the west side. Thousand Peaks has been really fun.

Yeah, I'm afraid there's nothing that's going to eliminate that bouquet. I'd just put it on, fresh from being washed, and Bob said "you smell like my high school gym locker at the end of the year." So I had that going for me. Weakened anyone behind me, and crippled those folks trying to pass.

I saw the way you guys rigged the raffle PDLSFR, when you buy two thirds of the tickets, it's not surprising if you win two-thirds of the prizes. You and your girlfriend are a lot of fun, nice meeting you guys. You'll catch me soon enough. There was a time I could beat Conner, but he was about ten or so back then.

Come to the race Greg, you know our guest room has your name on it, and Diane always feeds you anyway.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:17:59 AM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal