Author Topic: 2016 Starboard Ace 14'  (Read 19794 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
2016 Starboard Ace 14'
« on: July 07, 2015, 12:38:15 PM »
I'm looking for a board I can race in all conditions from flat to coastal chop and also will downwind. In previous threads the Starboard Ace 14' has been cited as one of the best Downbreezer and downwinder boards but what do you think about it competitively as a 14' race board in a 26" or near width?

I have a chance to get one with a significant discount off list price for the 2016 version for delivery in Sept if I place an order before Thursday this week.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
Re: 2016 Starboard Ace 14'
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 08:21:50 PM »
In a rush, I can only comment on the 2015 Ace - 12.6 x 25.
During our tests (against 12.6 x 25 Sprint, and 2 other boards) 4 or the 5 riders found the smaller Ace to be only 3% slower on dead-flat water. Mind you: the Ace isn't made for flat water - so a 3% slower speed is nothing when you add the following:

The Ace is just amazing during downwind conditions. The little Sprint is fun, the Ace is a blast - and way faster.
In a 14' version, your Ace will have less handicap (to me, all short boards have a huge handicap… might as well have a boogie board) :)

I know it doesn't help much…
Perhaps even confusing…
Here's a simplified version: Get the Ace… it's barely slower on flat / it's way faster and fun in DW conditions.

I went with the more challenging 14x25 Race model (yeah, RACE). The challenge is great.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Kieranrsup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 01:31:54 AM »
For several years I resisted the lure of the Ace despite some of the best paddlers in Australia swearing by them and getting results to back it up.
I just couldn't  get my head around the enclosed cockpit feel and I was adamant you need a flat deck board that you can move around on and get into surf stance etc.
Until I tried a 2015 14 x 25" Ace in the Mandurah Duel race in Western Australia last year. To say I was converted was an understatement!!! For marginal and conditions(and bigger DW once you get it dialled in - I've had it in 40kn and it flew!!) there is nothing better IMO. (I ordered one two weeks later)
The way it catches bumps and noses its way into runs is awesome. And the fact that you can be relatively competitive on flat too makes it a very very good all round option.
Pair it with the right fin and it's a beautiful feeling the way it goes. (I use a VMG Blades Mako 37")
You will not be disappointed. :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 01:34:05 AM by Kieranrsup »
SIC custom hand shaped 17' x 25.5" V3 Bullet.
NSP DC 17'10" x 26" .
Starboard Ace 14 x 25".
Starboard Sprint 14 x 24".
JP 10' x 29"
Starboard Pro 8.0 x 29".
Starboard Pro 8' x 29".

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 02:11:38 AM »
Thank you both for your comments. I have paddled a 2012 Ace 12-6 but never in downwind conditions. I guess the only other consideration would be the rumoured new Starboard downwind board... I guess this will downwind well but no-one will know at this stage of it races in the flat better than the Ace. Also who knows if i
the Ace will beat the All-Star in both downwind and flat race conditions?
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 02:14:59 AM »
How does the Ace go upwind, compared to a pointy-nose race board? Say, upwind against 15 knots and knee-high bumps?

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 03:21:01 AM »
I have taken my Ace GT (17.4 x 27)  upwind on many occasions.
It doesn't disappoint either… in fact, the only drawback is the noise (think: bam… BAM BAM… bam) - but again, speed wise, it is still plenty fast. Because of the relatively high rear deck, the GT does well  at keeping its nose into the wind.
Basically, don't worry about upwind with an Ace.

I found the 12.6 x 25 (2015 model) a little shaky on confused sees, but super nervous and fast to accelerate on the big downwind.
The 14 x 25 (2012 fiberglass model) was far more stable. I only tried it on a light downwind and on totally flat conditions for 3 days. It wasn't what I was looking for… but I assure you, 95% of it had to do with the fact that this board was water-logged, and was 18 kilos. I really shouldn't comment on the 14x25, but for what it's worth…. :)
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 06:34:11 AM »
How does the Ace go upwind, compared to a pointy-nose race board? Say, upwind against 15 knots and knee-high bumps?

The Ace is excellent in those conditions upwind. The nose tends to ride over the bumps rather than plow through them - which I find faster. I've had piercing nose race boards and the Ace is faster upwind.

One area where the Ace isn't great is in side winds. The big nose tends to get blown downwind more than I'd like.

I love using my Ace to go upwind then downwind. I don't know if there's a better board for doing that.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 06:43:28 AM »
Thank you both for your comments. I have paddled a 2012 Ace 12-6 but never in downwind conditions. I guess the only other consideration would be the rumoured new Starboard downwind board... I guess this will downwind well but no-one will know at this stage of it races in the flat better than the Ace. Also who knows if i
the Ace will beat the All-Star in both downwind and flat race conditions?

I think Starboard's new All Star downwind board will be quite wide (maybe 27-28") and if that's the case, it won't be good for racing. I see it more as an alternative to something like the SIC Bullet 14' in big downwind conditions. The 14x25" Ace will almost certainly be faster downwind in conditions of 25mph or less if the new downwind board is 27-28" wide. I"ve seen a video of the downwind board and it looks something like a cross between an All Star, Ace, and Race.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 06:51:18 AM »
... Also who knows if the Ace will beat the All-Star in both downwind and flat race conditions?

The Ace is much faster than the All Star in downwind conditions of 25mph or less. I've owned both boards. Once it gets over 25mph and you're mostly riding bumps, then the All Star is more comfortable.

In flat conditions, the 14x25 Ace is about the same speed as the 14x25 All Star, at least the 2013 models.

Here's a flat water speed test of these boards (and a few others) that we did a couple of years ago:
http://supdownwind.blogspot.ca/  Go to my blog entry from Wed. Aug. 14, 2013.

The Ace is my favorite board by far. We get mostly light wind or "down breezer" conditions around here.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 06:52:06 AM »

One area where the Ace isn't great is in side winds. The big nose tends to get blown downwind more than I'd like.

Hey Michael, you should try a small fin in your Ace in side winds. I've been using the FCS Slater Trout carbon fin. There is a temptation to use a large fin to help with stability, but I think that is what causes the problem - the fin anchors the tail and the wind blows the nose around. Use a small fin and the wind blows the nose and tail equally.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 06:56:36 AM »

Hey Michael, you should try a small fin in your Ace in side winds. I've been using the FCS Slater Trout carbon fin. There is a temptation to use a large fin to help with stability, but I think that is what causes the problem - the fin anchors the tail and the wind blows the nose around. Use a small fin and the wind blows the nose and tail equally.

Thanks PT. I'll try that. I was also thinking of a front fin like Larry Allison's ventral fin concept - but not sure how I'd get the second fin box installed.

seant319

• Waikiki Status
    • AOL Instant Messenger - creatureripperST
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 05:39:42 PM »
I have a 2013 Ace 14x 25 that I have owned and raced for 2 years now. I weigh 180 lbs. I have always found the board to be fun and also challenging.

I don't find the board to be competitive for racing for a few reasons :

I am consistently 0.2 mph faster on my friends Starboard Allstar 2014 AST 14x25 when compared to my ACE. This is a difference of averaging 5.6 mph and averaging 5.8 mph on mostly flat water and for racing that is huge, especially considering that all my training is done on the ace and I am comfortable on that board.

Even with elite gladiator fin, the ACE is much tippier than the same size Allstar. With a smaller fin, it's almost impossible to stay on with side chop or big boat wake. It's just as hard to get back on the board.

If you fall in, the board usually flips over and it's hard to get back on into the drop deck. It takes time for the water to drain out of the deck and the board temporarily gets very heavy and therefore slower, and also almost impossible to balance. Even if you don't fall in, in big side chop or boat wake it will fill up the standing area and make it heavy and more tippy.

The drain holes also happen to be right under the best area to place my feet if I am trying to widen my stance in rough conditions.

If you care at all about quality of construction, The board cracked in the area of the drop deck under my feet with normal paddling and when repairing it, it looked like regular cheap styrofoam such as that used for packing material.

Kieranrsup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 12:46:46 AM »

Agree. A smaller fin allows the board to kinda slide sideways rather than catch and pivot on a big fin.
I use the VMG Blades Mako 37" and it works fantastic. Many top Aussie and international paddlers use these fins.
Look 'em up. (I pay for my fins by the way so no conflict of interest, just my honest opinion)
NSP DC 17'10" x 26" .
Starboard Ace 14 x 25".
JP 10' x 29"
Starboard Pro 8.0 x 29".
Starboard Pro 8' x 29".

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 10:06:28 AM »

Agree. A smaller fin allows the board to kinda slide sideways rather than catch and pivot on a big fin.
I use the VMG Blades Mako 37" and it works fantastic. Many top Aussie and international paddlers use these fins.
Look 'em up. (I pay for my fins by the way so no conflict of interest, just my honest opinion)

Those VMG fins look good. I like the look of the Time Trial fin as well as the Mako 37. The wider base of the Time Trial should help it track better although maybe with less turning speed. Time trial may be good for flatwater races and Mako for rougher conditions.

Where can you buy them in North America?

Kieranrsup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 09:05:03 PM »

Those VMG fins look good. I like the look of the Time Trial fin as well as the Mako 37. The wider base of the Time Trial should help it track better although maybe with less turning speed. Time trial may be good for flatwater races and Mako for rougher conditions.

Where can you buy them in North America?

Check em out on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/VMGBlades
:)

NSP DC 17'10" x 26" .
Starboard Ace 14 x 25".
JP 10' x 29"
Starboard Pro 8.0 x 29".
Starboard Pro 8' x 29".

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
Today at 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
Today at 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal