Author Topic: Looks like another shop will be biting the dust  (Read 7153 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looks like another shop will be biting the dust
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:11:18 AM »
Yolo Board in San Diego said on their FB (the San Diego page, not the regular page) page they will be closing the shop after they sell most of their inventory.  No reason was given.  This doesn't' mean the company itself is shutting down, just the San Diego retail store.  Sad news though:(

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Looks like another shop will be biting the dust
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 11:24:47 AM »
I've always questioned the reasoning behind a one brand only store. I'd rather shop where I have a variety of manufactures and shapers to chose from.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 11:54:03 AM »
I've always questioned the reasoning behind a one brand only store. I'd rather shop where I have a variety of manufactures and shapers to chose from.

Good question.  I never really thought about that.  Some one brand stores seem to be doing well though, like SUP Sports in Santa Barbara.   Fuze Paddleboards in Sunset Beach CA (just north of Huntington Beach) closed almost two years ago and they seem to have had a decent product.  There is Creed SUP in Chula Vista but not sure how they're doing.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:57:10 AM by surf4food »

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 12:28:56 PM »
Having been self-employed most of my life it's always sad to hear of businesses going under. Selling one brand was probably not a good idea, but far worse was their location. For those that don't know, Yolo in San Diego is located on an insanely busy one way street - that points away from the ocean - with zero walk by pedestrian foot traffic - where the next destination just past the store are the on ramps to two freeways. And if you make the mistake of driving past it, which is easy to do, there's no place to make a U turn to go back which means you'll probably end up on one of two freeways! And if you end up on the freeway, it's a MAJOR HASSLE in that area to get back to the store. Whoever made the decision to open a store there didn't have much business sense.

Yolo Board in San Diego said on their FB (the San Diego page, not the regular page) page they will be closing the shop after they sell most of their inventory.  No reason was given.  This doesn't' mean the company itself is shutting down, just the San Diego retail store.  Sad news though:(
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 12:33:01 PM »
Having been self-employed most of my life it's always sad to hear of businesses going under. Selling one brand was probably not a good idea, but far worse was their location. For those that don't know, Yolo in San Diego is located on an insanely busy one way street - that points away from the ocean - with zero walk by pedestrian foot traffic - where the next destination just past the store are the on ramps to two freeways. And if you make the mistake of driving past it, which is easy to do, there's no place to make a U turn to go back which means you'll probably end up on one of two freeways! And if you end up on the freeway, it's a MAJOR HASSLE in that area to get back to the store. Whoever made the decision to open a store there didn't have much business sense.

Actually they moved in 2013 to 1055 Rosecrans just past Shelter Island Drive and close to Cannon.  They were just one block from the Shelter Island Harbor and among their services were rentals.  They even carried them out for people wanting to rent or test ride. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:35:07 PM by surf4food »

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 12:35:28 PM »
No kidding! No wonder I couldn't find them the last time I went there. :o

Actually they moved in 2013 to 1055 Rosecrans just past Shelter Island Drive and close to Cannon.  They were just one block from the Shelter Island Harbor and among their services were rentals.  The even brought them out for either renting or test riding.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 12:46:41 PM »
^^Yeah it seemed like a good move.  Even though the weren't RIGHT on the water (like OEX Point Loma) they were very close and to me it seems like a great location.  Well actually they are still there and will remain in business until they sell most of their gear and apparel.  Plus they are close to restaurants and bars so lots of choices for a bit of SUP après.  Maybe it's a business decision to consolidate and not necessarily a matter going under.  I really don't know.  Since I work right up the street from them maybe I'll pop in there to look at some stuff for possibly a good deal and while there ask them why they are in the process of shutting down.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 01:04:15 PM »
I haven't talked to EJ for a while. He and his wife used to run the store. He's a good carpenter and construction is booming right now. If he's done with Yolo, he'l probably do better in construction anyway. Not as fun though:(
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 04:40:02 PM »
While I am sad to see any shop close down (for almost any reason) - I don't know if SUP is to the point where it can sustain one brand shops.

Wardog at SUP Sports is a totally different example - as he helped to create the entire sport in certain ways. 

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 05:30:32 PM »
Like EZ said, I don't think you can use Wardog as an example.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

bat paddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 05:57:10 PM »
No big deal.  Never a player in the region. 

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 06:00:26 PM »
Wardog at SUP Sports is a totally different example - as he helped to create the entire sport in certain ways.

Sarcasm, Right?
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 06:09:55 PM »
Yeah I guess it makes sense about one brand shops and why SUP Sports is the exception.  Interestingly enough, the shop window says "Moving sale" but the their fb San Diego page says everything must go.  Like I said, the brand itself isn't going anywhere, just this particular retail shop.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 06:13:36 PM »

Sarcasm, Right?

I don't think so.  Hasn't Wardog been in on the ground floor of the sport in California?  He makes some really sweet boards, too.  I love my 7'4 Wardog Jammer.  My favorite SUP ever and I have owned 9 boards so far, and ridden many others. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 06:26:23 PM »
I just know that back in 2007 when I would Google stand up paddle boarding here in Michigan I would see Wardog's site information and blog as well as Paddle Surf Hawaii stuff.  I think also Ponobill's Kenalu website.  I would usually Google "stand up paddleboarding" after being stoked on using an old windsurfer and a Whiskey Creek wooden paddle back then.  So, yeah, for me he was a strong influence to keeping my stoke aflame.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal