Author Topic: Maui 2 Molokai  (Read 7260 times)

Kieranrsup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Maui 2 Molokai
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 12:38:43 PM »
Wow, excellent write up from those guys above.
It was definitely harder conditions than last year but I paddled much, much better.
I remember checking my Garmin and I was at the 3 hr mark with about 12km to go and I was averaging 12km/hr overall at that stage(faster per individual km)so I was confident I could hit my sub 4hr time.
Unfortunately as the guys illustrated above within a few kms of that things changed and got exponentially harder!!!
I knew within the next 30 mins that sub 4hrs wasn't going to happen.
It became a slugfest, sprinting go the glassy rollers that were occasionally coming through.
When I got closer to the harbour I saw a small breaking wave and just couldn't help myself; I wanted any relief/perceived advantage I could get!!! Not a great idea as I found out when I came off my board and found myself sitting on the reef in a foot of water.
Lost some time extricating myself from that and going back out wide to come back in to finish.
In he end I did 4:24 which was 2 mins faster than last years effort of 4:26(my first M2M) so I am happy enough to do that.
Just makes me even more motivated to come back next year and get under the 4hr mark!!!!
SIC custom hand shaped 17' x 25.5" V3 Bullet.
NSP DC 17'10" x 26" .
Starboard Ace 14 x 25".
Starboard Sprint 14 x 24".
JP 10' x 29"
Starboard Pro 8.0 x 29".
Starboard Pro 8' x 29".

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 02:33:25 PM »

When I got closer to the harbour I saw a small breaking wave and just couldn't help myself; I wanted any relief/perceived advantage I could get!!! Not a great idea as I found out when I came off my board and found myself sitting on the reef in a foot of water.
Lost some time extricating myself from that and going back out wide to come back in to finish.
In he end I did 4:24 which was 2 mins faster than last years effort of 4:26(my first M2M) so I am happy enough to do that.
Just makes me even more motivated to come back next year and get under the 4hr mark!!!!

Keiran, for what it's worth, I think you have gotten much faster than you were last year. Last year, my time was 4:12 and this year it was 4:25. I'd attribute that to the conditions which were so much worse this year. You, on the other hand, were faster this year, even with the heinous finishing conditions.

I broke four hours in April when I raced to Molokai with a 3:57 and, like you, I was on track for an even faster finish in this race. Also, by the way, I was just outside of you when you got rolled on the reef. I watched the whole thing happen. But you recovered and still got in before me.

Because of the lighter conditions, I had the best Pailolo crossing yet. Even with the strong counter-current, the conditions were favorable going across the channel. Only a couple of falls and lots of connections. The cross chop was much less than usual and by the time I got to the Kamalo buoy, I was expecting the usual all-time downwinder to the finish and a smokin' finish time. We know how that turned out!

Interestingly, it was not just the light wind or no wind conditions that made this past race slower. The currents were against us nearly the entire run. That was confirmed by two Molokai boat captains that know this water better than anyone. When I hit the good glides at the top of the Kalohi Channel, just past Kamalo, I checked my Garmin and was shocked at how slow I was going. This while I'm surfing some of the best swells I've ever seen on a downwinder. Smooth, clean perfection.

Anyway, it was a schlogg and you are on the way to being much faster when you come back next year. With decent conditions, I think you'll hit your mark under 4 hours no problem. You've been tough in both the Poi Bowl and the M2M and whipped me in both races, both times in the most difficult conditions that occurred near the finish of both races. I'm stoked for you. Let's really hope for good paddling conditions next time round.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
Great write up guys!  I really appreciate the insight into the race. 

Cove - is the Bullet 17 more stable for you in the crossing than the F16?  I've only been on the Bullet 17V1 but thought the F16 was the more stable board.

Saw today on SIC's Facebook page that Connor's board was actually a Bullet 17.  If there was ever any question of which board dominates open Hawaiian waters that should clear it up.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 02:20:15 PM »
I often speak on Cove's behalf:  yes, the Bullet 17 is more stable than a F-16. 

Conner has been on a Bullet for years, but they have Starboard stickers all over 'em.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 02:40:48 PM »
SB is fully authorized to speak on my behalf, or on my be-whole, as the case may be. He is an elite paddler and is heavily sponsored by several companies, which shall continue to be un-named. Although he's heavily sponsored, his sponsors do not want their names disclosed to the public. I know, it's odd but that's how it is.... ;D ;D ;D

All that ^^^being said, SB is, as almost always, correct. The V1 Bullet went across the grain on the Pailolo crossing extremely well. The board is so much more stable than the F16 in cross-grain conditions. Our race was held in relatively mild (by Pailolo Channel standards) conditions but it was clear that the V1 would be faster and that I'd have fewer falls on it than on my F16, even if it had been windier and much rougher. I'm hoping that next time, we'll have a lot bigger conditions when we cross.

The F16 is a bit easier to manage in bumps because you can get away with less footwork and it's less likely to poke. But the Bullet is even faster, it's just that you can't screw around getting back on it. The lack of rocker in the tail means that the nose won't come up unless you really get the weight on your back foot and that you are far enough back on the board. Poking it means slowing down at best or worse, falling in, neither of which are fast options. The cool thing is that the Bullet seems more forgiving at my relatively light 155 lbs so even if I'm a bit uncoordinated when I walk the board, it allows me to get away with some kookiness.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal