Author Topic: The basics of a coastal overnight trip - opinions please  (Read 7189 times)

iceboxsteve

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
The basics of a coastal overnight trip - opinions please
« on: July 06, 2015, 04:38:51 PM »
I'm in the midst of planning a one or two night trip off the coast of North Carolina and looking for input into the planning process.  I have pretty extensive backgrounds in various outdoor pursuits including many multiday trips, but SUP is fairly new.  I'm confident in my paddling abilities and have a little time to continue building on them.

The trip would require a 2-3 mile water crossing on one of the sounds behind the Outer Banks barrier islands.  I don't have a ton of coastal paddling experience.  Beyond what I already know I need (the basics of any camping trips, including plenty of water for this adventure) I believe the following is in order:

-picking up the charts for this area
-buying a VHF marine radio (any tips here?)
-studying tidal charts

Can anyone add more?  I'm not terribly worried but I thought I would check with the group, I always find forums to be helpful.  I'll be riding my 12' NSP touring board, which may not be all that large for overnight trips but I think in the summer I can attach enough in drybags to last one night out.
12' NSP Touring Board - paddling for fun

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: The basics of a coastal overnight trip - opinions please
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 08:39:19 PM »
One thing I'm sure you know to do is test your packing and lashing system. Make sure your gear stays exactly where you want it if the board flips in choppy water. Make sure you can easily flip the board back upright. Make sure the board paddles well when it is loaded. Test that stuff out before your trip. Have fun, sounds like a blast! Let us know how it went.
Bunch of old shit

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 03:36:01 AM »
Hi icebox
That looks like a pretty casual paddle, as long as you chose your weather window wisely, you shouldn't have any issues.
You can make that crossing in under an hour and the waterways seem pretty tame.

Avoid paddling near the inlets if you are not a strong paddler.

If I was going, the first thing I would want is bug proof clothing... I gotta figure that area is heavy with biters this time of year.

I don't camp, so no real help there, but sun and bug protection may make the difference between fun and torture  ;D

Waterproof camera so you can post some pics of your trip.

It looks like a fun area to explore.... have fun!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 03:54:14 AM »
I'd study up on the prevailing winds. I'm sure there are lots of windsurf sites that cover that.

I've passed through that area twice with my sailboat. The Sound can be a windy place and can get pretty rough, although mornings can be glassy calm.

It would be an awesome place for a downwinder.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

iceboxsteve

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 04:48:35 AM »
Thanks all.  I do plan to tie down all my gear and take it to the local lake and intentionally flip it to check it for waterproofness, make sure it stays on, and make sure I can right the board after.  Also yes I understand the inlets around these islands can really rip, especially in a strong tide.  My plan is to avoid them and stick to behind the islands.  Last night I was pondering gear and bug spray and sun screen will not be forgotten haha.  And good tip on the winds in addition to tides.  I know the Outer Banks is a haven for kiteboarding/windsurfing/etc. so I'll check with those types.  Obviously weather will be the ultimate factor, if it looks bad I won't be going, but I think this would be a good first trip.

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 06:18:05 AM »
I've done some overnighters and my biggest advice would be to bring a kayak paddle in case of high winds.  For the relatively short distance you're doing you are probably ok without it, but I was caught in very high headwinds off Assateague Island two years back and could make no progress standing up.  At those times, sitting or kneeling and using a kayak paddle is the only way to make progress, and it saved me. 

After that experience it will always be part of my kit in areas where the winds can whip up to high levels.
My journey to financial independence
https://accidentalfire.com
Just.  Get.  Out.

iceboxsteve

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 07:40:21 AM »
Great tip esskay.  I was definitely planning to pack a two piece back up paddle.  But the kayak paddle makes sense if winds picked up and i was forced down to my knees.

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 10:00:46 AM »
Haven't had the pleasure of sup camping yet but have done a lot of kayak beach camping, want to try it out. A few of the things I've learned over the years.
You can freeze some types of canned beer.
Head nets and an oversized wind breaker\pants are the only way to go for bugs.
Avoid camping in sand if at all possible, it will get into everything and sugar coat your gear with the morning dew. Pebble beaches are the best place to sleep. Grass is okay but look out for ticks.
Find the high tide line and make sure all your stuff is well above it. Memorize the tide cycle for the few days you're out.
If there is no structure a tarp works great for shade, a simple sil nylon one would be worth getting or borrowing.
Trash compactor bags work great for waterproofing gear. They're thick and durable enough they won't get pin hole leaks, avoid regular trash bags. Just use a regular stuff sack and line the inside with the compactor bag, get as much air out as possible and twist the remaining bag into a tail and tuck down the side. 
Bring a little extra food and water in case you have to wait out any weather going back. The vhf will get weather reports for you as well.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 10:32:03 AM »
As far as planning, figure out the tide cycles and determine if they produce any currents. If the tides do create current ideally you can plan to get a ride with the current instead of working against it. If you are going to be paddling against the current know it's speed and how it will affect your own speed and time on the water. You'll have about an hour around high and low tide when the water is slack, a good time to make crossings, although constrictions and local geography\bathymetry can throw this off. Also good to know if the wind will be blowing against current; wind against current can create bumpy conditions. Your chart will give a lot of information on bottom features such as rocks ledges reefs, any type of energy in the water will be amplified around these features. Create a float plan and leave it with someone, sometimes the harbor masters like to get a copy. Having a good plan before you get on the water for me makes things a lot easier, especially when camping as it's often a scramble to get everything loaded and on the water, only to realize im not sure where I'm headed. Google\Bing maps are a good way to study the terrain of where you are headed.
Some people like the planning and gear more than the trip itself, but the main thing is get out and enjoy the experience and have fun.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 12:28:06 PM »
I've not done an over-nighter on a SUP but have done a lot of coastal paddling. I agree the two key considerations are tides / currents and wind. I've paddled around coastal points / headlands at times where the rips were like Class III rapids and shook us up so much we were unable to stand up on our SUPs after paddling through them and ended up kneel paddling 3miles to our destination. I've also been in situations where the wind got so strong we could not paddle against it, even in the kneeling position and we had to get to shore and drag our boards along a rocky coastline. So as well as looking at charts, tide tables and wind forecasts try to speak to someone with local knowledge of where tides or currents cause the rips.

I also agree with the spare paddle. The most common thing I've experienced is the glue failing on a handle of older paddles and the handle rotating in the shaft. I've also seen blades fall off shafts and shafts break. If you are doing a lot of into the wind paddling you need a good strong paddle.

When alone paddling coastal routes in colder conditions I carry a waterproof lighter and space blanket and floating knife on my person. Idea being is if I get separated from the board I still have this essential gear with me and can get to shore and build a fire. Some of the places I paddle are remote and may be without access from the land to the beach due to cliffs etc.

Finally leashes and pfds. It make not seem like you'll need a leash but in a strong rip or wind if you get separated from your board it may be hard to catch up with it. Best wear a leash. Same with a PFD. If it gets windy or gnarly wear one. The extra buoyancy will help you right the board if it flips with your gear on.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

iceboxsteve

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 01:59:30 PM »
Keep the tips coming!  Hadn't thought about lining my dry bags but it couldn't hurt and could be very helpful if something happened.  This trip will be to NC barrier islands so sand will be the only beaches I have, alas I'll survive.  And I always leave plans with family/friends/rangers when I leave for backcountry trips.  I plan to launch from an NPS visitor center and they require float plans and from trip reports I've read are very good about following up on them.  So I feel confident about that aspect.

I also planned to bring a leash and forgo my inflatable hip belt PFD for a traditional one.  The paddle is brand new so I hope no glue will be failing.  Good idea to keep a few waterproof essentials on my body for worst case scenarios.

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 05:01:41 PM »
I always wrap the paddle joints with yellow electrical tape (easy to see).... it will keep the joints from leaking and may provide integrity if the glue should fail.

And.... never get on your paddleboard without first attaching your leash.... if it gets away from you.... you got nothin'
I recommend a fully coiled knee leash.... stays out of the water and doesn't drag seaweed or get hung up.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 05:53:25 PM »
Don't forget to charge your cellphone. I'd think you might still have service there. Set it so someone you know can see your GPS.

If all else fails....a roll of gorilla tape. In my grab bag of camping stuff (when I used to keep one) was 100' of parachord wrapped in 6' of heavy duct tape. From the sounds of it probably not needed but for longer trips to more isolated spots potential lifesavers.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:09:20 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 03:13:34 AM »
One more thing to consider. Paddling in shallow rocky areas it is easy to catch a fin and shear or strip the fin bolt so you lose it. Paddling with the fin just held by the pivot boss thing and rotated backwards out of the fin box is possible but slows you down a lot so I'd take a spare fin bolt and screw plate and possibly an extra fin if the board I was using only had a single main fin.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:23:03 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 06:44:06 AM »
I always meant to build an adjustable paddle with an alternate blade that could be stuck in to replace the handle as a not-very-efficient kayak paddle. If you set up your load for it you can sit down with your back against a bag and paddle into wind and current. You can do that with just a choked down paddle but a kayak-style would be much more efficient. Most kayak paddles break down so carrying one isn't much hardship.

In general, less is more. I hated finding I carried something I never used when I used to do a lot of backpacking. Love the idea of freezing a beer. Love it even better that it's tip number one--nice priorities Johnny. My hunting partner and I had a long tradition of carrying some stupid luxury to the midpoint of a long trip. One year he brought ice cream bars packed in a styrofoam block with dry ice. Pretty spectacular on day three of a hot weather trip. I brought a 1968 BV Cabernet Sauvignon on one trip to enjoy with fresh Elk liver. Nirvana. At the time the wine was worth more than my truck.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal