Author Topic: Is a High End ISUP Really Necessary?  (Read 13848 times)

ktg13

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is a High End ISUP Really Necessary?
« on: July 06, 2015, 04:02:26 PM »
You probably get tons of these questions from first time buyers but here I go.

I recently bought a Ten Toes Weekender because it was on sale and I read only positive reviews online.  It was $500 and it's on its way.  I've been paddle boarding for a year and the rental fees are adding up.  The place that I go to has Red boards and they are fantastic - I don't think many would disagree.  I did a 60 minute core/yoga workout and the board was stiff as could be.   The guy that owns the rental business said that I shouldn't buy anything under 20 PSI and that all moderately priced boards suck and you get what you pay for.  Is this true?

My question is, should I return the Ten Toes and go with a higher end board?  Keep in mind it's my first board. I plan to use it quite frequently during the summer and not so much during the winter unless I go somewhere fun.  I would love to hear your thoughts!  Stick with Ten Toes or go higher end?  Any suggestions?  THANK YOU!

I'm 5'7, 140 lbs, female
I'll mostly be doing lake paddling on beautiful Lake Washington but will do Puget Sound too
I'd like to be able to do yoga on the board
I plan to ride almost every day in the summer; possibly into the fall
If I go on vacation I will totally take it with me

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Is a High End ISUP Really Necessary?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 04:38:44 PM »
Well, like you said, it's your first board. $500? How can that be bad? I don't know.
I would agree with you get what you pay for but not sure I would say all moderately boards suck tho this appears to be as cheap as it can possibly be rather than moderate.
You've been on the RED boards? You've got something to compare it to for sure.
Perhaps the guy with the rentals will part ways with some at the end of the season and you will start next spring with two boards.
Find a good paddle and have fun.

ktg13

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 04:56:26 PM »
Yeah not too sure he's going to sell any. He said they were way more durable than regular boards.  He hasn't had to use his repair kit once this year. But now I know when to shop for the best deals if I ever decide to spend the big bucks. Thanks

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 07:25:21 PM »
I wonder if the softer, lower priced board you are buying would be bad for yoga.  I don't know much about it, but it seems that you would want something stiff and firm for doing all those complex yoga poses.  If the board flexes and gives, wouldn't that mess you up? 

Disclaimer:  I don't own an inflatable and I don't do yoga. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 07:50:05 PM »
If you're using the board mainly for yoga, then no, a high end inflatable is not necessary - although I'd look for a board that can take pressures of at least 15psi.  However, as the stiffness of the board increases, it will also feel more stable.

If you're also planning to paddle it in flat water, then I'd get something that inflates to at least 18psi.

If you're planning to be paddling it quite a bit in a variety of conditions, including chop, then I'd suggest a high end isup. Red, ULI, and some of the Fanatics that can inflate to at least 22psi are a good place to start looking for a high end isup. You'll notice the flexy nature of an inflatable more, as the water gets choppier.

ktg13

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 08:16:00 PM »
The best ranked yoga boards are inflatable because they are less rigid which is better for your back. They are 6inches thick and wider than average - keeping you rigid enough and completely stable but not too stiff.

This Ten Toes board does inflate to 15 psi. I'd love to have a Red, Naish, or Bic isup since they are consistently in the top yoga board lists but I think I'm leaning towards keeping the board because it's my first board and I can't justify a $1200 purchase at this time.

But I keep looking at those expensive boards and it is so tempting...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:52:22 PM by ktg13 »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 09:11:19 PM »
In the long run, SUP is a very inexpensive sport. Once you have the gear there's not much added expense, though people do tend to keep buying gear. Boards are a bit interchangable, but paddles are like toothbrushes--personal and you want one you like.

The big advantage of a $500 board is that you won't take too much of a bath if and when you get rid of it. Have fun with it and find out if it's enough for you. You'll probably find some aspect of SUP that you particularly like, and then you will want a more specialized board. Wait for that to happen before you spend more bucks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 09:33:04 PM »
The best ranked yoga boards are inflatable because they are less rigid which is better for your back. They are 6inches thick and wider than average - keeping you rigid enough and completely stable but not too stiff.

This Ten Toes board does inflate to 15 psi. I'd love to have a Red, Naish, or Bic isup since they are consistently in the top yoga board lists but I think I'm leaning towards keeping the board because it's my first board and I can't justify a $1200 purchase at this time.

But I keep looking at those expensive boards and it is so tempting...

Sounds like you'll be using it mostly for yoga. In that case, you don't really need an expensive isup.

An inflatable may be better for yoga than a hard board, but I'd still suspect that a stiff inflatable would be better than a softer one. When you're holding a post that requires some balance then a little wave rolls under the board, a softer isup that bends more with the wave may feel less stable than stiffer isup which will still likely flex a bit but not as much. 15 psi should be enough though, depending on your weight.

I would think that it would be more important to have a very stable board - something like this:
http://star-board-sup.com/2015/products/astro-yoga-40-11-2x40/ But Starboard's aren't cheap.

If the $500 board is stable (wide) enough, then it may be just fine. Like Pono wrote, if you end up getting into it, chances are you'll upgrade your board when you have a better idea of what you need. It seems to work that way with just about everyone in SUP.

ktg13

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 05:43:36 AM »
Thanks Argosi and Pono and everyone else who weighed in.  I think I'll stick with the $500 board. I have looked at the inflatable versions of the Starboard and it's on my list for next season. I don't live on a lake so inflatable it has to be for practical reasons.

Hopefully I can take it out Thursday when it arrives and I can report back. It is supposed to be 91 degrees w low humidity. Most people here in Seattle think that's crazy hot and complain incessantly but I say bring it on.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 11:48:07 AM »
Totally by chance, I saw an ad online for Ten Toes boards. It looks like the inflatable board you ordered is the Nano with dimensions of 8'x30"x4".

After re-reading your requirements...
"I'm 5'7, 140 lbs, female
I'll mostly be doing lake paddling on beautiful Lake Washington but will do Puget Sound too
I'd like to be able to do yoga on the board
I plan to ride almost every day in the summer; possibly into the fall"

...I think that board will be too small for you. It's rated for a max rider weight of 120lbs. If you're planning to do flat water cruising and yoga and the board, I don't think you'll be happy with it.  An 8' long board won't be much fun to cruise with and with the low volume, yoga will be very difficult since it'll be too tippy.

For flatwater cruising, you're generally better off with a longer board that's not too wide. On the other hand, a yoga board should be as wide as possible for added stability and no real need to be very long. So it depends on how much cruising versus yoga you're planning to do. If it's 75% cruising and 25% yoga, I'd suggest something that's about 12' long and 32" wide. 32" isn't that wide for yoga but the extra length of being 12' will help compensate. Also, longer boards are generally faster and track better.

ktg13

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 05:24:06 PM »
I thought the same thing at first and made sure it wasn't the Nano. Groupon had the Weekender for $465, list price was $599. I paid $515 with tax. Pretty nice deal. It's no longer on Groupon. There is a new listing for a Sevylor and a Wai board today.

The weekender is 10x30x6.  I really wish I got a longer wider board like you suggest but I think I'll wait until the end of the season and get a deal on an NRS, Red, or Bic. The girl at isupworld.com told me it's a great, sturdy board and it's good for a first board.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 05:30:45 PM by ktg13 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal