Author Topic: SUP Instructional DVD  (Read 2080 times)

JeffG

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP Instructional DVD
« on: July 06, 2015, 10:19:06 AM »
I am looking for a good instructional DVD.  What would you guys recommend?  I found one called "The Ultimate Guide to Stand Up Paddling".  Is that one any good? I guess another option would find someone that has a good youtube channel with instructional videos.

I just bought my first SUP board last week.  I got a Naish One 12'6" inflatable.  At first I was not interested in inflatables but the more I looked at them the more this board made sense for my first board. 

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: SUP Instructional DVD
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 10:30:12 AM »
Instructional sup videos are silly. Paddleboarding is pretty simple.  Just go paddle.

What is it you want to know? Just do a Google video search for whatever it is you need to learn. There are tons of instructional videos available at your fingertips.

The Zone is really all the guide you need. Whenever you have a question just post it up or search the archives.

Blue Planet Surf.com has some good instructional vids.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:49:15 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 11:03:02 AM »
JeffG,
I actually learned some stuff from these videos. I have amazon prime and was able to stream them. The guy does some crazy stuff under water with his paddle as he is being dragged by the board. Never thought of this.. Basically using the paddle as a rudder, towards the surface as you are being pulled underwater..

Anyway... I'ts been a while but I believe this is the series.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012LUHM2/ref=pd_sim__2

Your inflatable sounds right for beginning.. I wish I had done that.. I went right in and beat the hell out of my first epoxy board..

-red

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 11:45:25 AM »

Instructional sup videos are silly. Paddleboarding is pretty simple.  Just go paddle.

That's what I thought until I spent a week with Dave Kalama.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 12:40:32 PM »
Before you spend the money watch videos on YouTube.  There is a lot to be learned there for free.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 06:57:11 AM »
I am looking for a good instructional DVD.  What would you guys recommend?  I found one called "The Ultimate Guide to Stand Up Paddling".  Is that one any good? I guess another option would find someone that has a good youtube channel with instructional videos.

I just bought my first SUP board last week.  I got a Naish One 12'6" inflatable.  At first I was not interested in inflatables but the more I looked at them the more this board made sense for my first board.

I always thought Sam Ross' short instructionals were well-produced:

https://vimeo.com/samross/videos

Frankly I think his videos are on the same level as the The Ultimate Guide to Stand Up Paddling. The TEVA DVD is good, but it's strictly for flatwater, spends a lot of time on equipment and you'll outgrow it after a few outings on your board. That said, it's definite eye-candy and good propaganda for the sport. It's what I whip out and play when I try to convince people to give SUP a try.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

JeffG

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 08:20:59 AM »
Between input here and google I've found plenty of instructional stuff online for free so I won't be buying a DVD.

Although this is not an instructional video I ran across a movie called "That First Glide" that I think I will buy.  Looks really good.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 08:33:54 AM »
Time for me to spend some time with the instructional videos.  Some things don't make sense until you have actually been out there for a while, slow fade from Greek to English.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal