Author Topic: Which waterproof cell phone case are you using  (Read 6671 times)

BigGuy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Which waterproof cell phone case are you using
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 07:33:59 PM »
I've been using Lifeproof cases for a few years.  They work awesome.  Usually when i upgrade my phone, I upgrade the case too.

http://www.lifeproof.com/en/

Expensive, but i have attachments for my bikes too which was the main reason i got it.  The waterproof was a bonus.
There are loads of attachments for it too.  As stated, I have the bike mount, car mount and the life jacket when im messing around in deeper water.

Ive heard people didn't like the audio and some reported "muffled voice" but no one has had issues with me so far the past year with the iPhone5.

Highly recommend

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 08:31:31 PM »
I use the same model that STC pictured in his reply,  and it has worked great for a couple years of regular use.  I'll usually loop the lanyard around my camelback or pfd strap or tie it into by shorts drawstring and stick it in my shorts pocket.  One time I forgot to do this and didn't notice that it had fallen out until I got back to the car.  I used a GPS tracking app on my phone to locate it out in the water,  where it was still floating in its case without any water penetration several hours later!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 08:55:55 PM »
Another vote for the JOTO / Dry Pack / Dry Case style container. We have two, both cheaper versions, have worked without fail, used it more times than I can remember.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 03:27:48 AM »
I've had one Lifeproof case fail and they replaced it free. I had it about 2 years and usually when paddling I have it attached to a lanyard to the drawstring of my shorts and in my pocket. The only time I would not take it is in the surf. The time it failed I forgot to take it off and went swimming for an hour with my daughter. Seems the Lifeproof case works well for a dunk now and again but not long term immersion.

After this happened I use a "belt and braces" approach and put the phone inside the Lifeproof case inside a cheap waterproof case (from Storus) like the one Creek uses, often with my car keys, and attach that to my drawstring and put in my shorts pocket.

This "double bag" system has worked well for me until one time the thin lanyard (from GoPro) that I have looped through the phone jack plug lanyard on the Lifeproof case got snagged in the sealing area of the Storus waterproof pouch and water got inside the pouch. Normally this is no big deal but I was in a rush getting out of my car and had been charging the phone which entails opening the charging door in the Lifeproof case and somehow I had not snapped this back in place.. So that was the 2nd phone I had to get repaired. It's not just the cost of repair, it's not having the phone for a few days while they repair it, that's the pain.

So now I only take the phone when I really need it. I'm told that in South Africa the Surfskiers all use Sony waterproof phones and so I'm thinking of getting a proper waterproof 2nd phone for those times I need a phone for emergency or "scheduled work calls" when on the water.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:30:05 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 03:37:24 AM »
Amazing how many people have smart phones these days. I guess if I paid that much for a phone I'd want an expensive case for it too.

The only reason I bring my phone with me is in case of emergency or to get a ride home. On the ocean I carry a VHF as back up.

My phone cost $35 and my bill is only $20 a month. Anything more than a ziploc heavy duty storage bag would be overkill.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 06:52:05 AM »
An alternative to a phone would be a waterproof handheld vhf radio. Won't be telling your friends how
great it is but it has channel 16 which in our area is a direct contact with someone who can help.  Not all areas
has someone monitoring 16. Make sure someone has their ears on in your area before you commit to vhf. Vhf is the
standard for marine communications.

I have both a phone and vhf offshore. The phone is for telling friends how big my fish are and vhf for monitoring marine
distress calls and communication with boat to boat or boat to shore and distress calls for your own safety. When I was running a safe boat the phone was for secure communications with command but most communications was over vhf.

Both phone and vhf have distance limits. Offshore my vhf still works when my phone is dead. I can communicate with group Humboldt which is 80 miles away. Very assuring as group has all the good stuff for rescue. I rarely go outside of vhf range. My boat is to small.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal