Author Topic: Which waterproof cell phone case are you using  (Read 6666 times)

jerdogSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Which waterproof cell phone case are you using
« on: July 06, 2015, 09:53:18 AM »
Hey all,I've read a few posts on Life Proof cases failing.What case or system works for you?Thanks for you input.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Which waterproof cell phone case are you using
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »
My van.
The ocean is a way to get away from the cell phone,,,,,,,,,,, for me.

P.S. I don't do DW'ers.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 10:09:55 AM »
Ziplock storage bags work well for me. If you want extra protection, use two.

The phone cases are mega expensive for what you get and I don't think they work any better.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:53:37 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:37:33 AM »
I just learned the hard way with Life Proof and I wouldn't recommend this brand to anyone wanting a waterproof case that retains it's intended function for longer than a few months. The toggle switch on the side is a weak point because the rubber degrades quickly, and the switch doesn't work well at all. Throw in all the complaints of the gasket leaking as well. I'm getting a replacement for free, but the cost of my phone and the pain in the ass factor outweighs the benefit of the life proof warranty big time.

jerdogSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 11:02:23 AM »
My van.

P.S. I don't do DW'ers.
I hear you Weasels wake,would'nt want it for surf.Only for an emergency while downwinding.

SupPadre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 11:08:48 AM »
Freiq waterproof case.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »
Lifeproof has worked fine for me, but I do wish they would last a little longer.  Even though they've improved some, I still think the little flip door on the cable port seems like it could so easily snag on something and pop open.  Because I'm neurotic and have already lost one phone to the ocean (using Ziplock baggies), I have it in the Lifeproof and then put it in another lanyard drycase (just a basic REI one) around my neck.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 12:03:02 PM »
My van.

+1

One time I was getting ready to paddle out and a local guy I know asks me to tell his buddy, who's out in the line up, that his wife just called and he needs to call her back.
??????? Hummm. "Sure...." I said. Really, I'd never tell a guy his wife called unless one of his family members was in or on their way to the emergency room. In the line-up or just out paddling is each persons own private space. It's my escape.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 12:14:56 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 12:09:57 PM »
My phone comes with me every time I paddle flat-water
I use it all the time to update weather and check radar for storms, plus it's a great safety device when paddling remote areas alone

I use a cheap plastic case, with a lanyard. I tie the lanyard to my PFD and put the phone in my pocket.

It's easy to use the phone, and you can even use the touch screen with wetsuit gloves on, because the plastic acts as your skin. Great in winter.

Works great, I get it wet a few times a year, and the case has always kept my phone dry  :D

I like to call my friends, who work, and tell them what a great time I am having  ;)

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 12:32:43 PM »
I used the X-1 Audio armband case with the waterproof headset for years.  I mostly paddle flat water.  But, some times I would launch directly into the ocean to paddle.
The case got wet going out and in, and the occasional fall.  The case lasted a long time.  The headphones worked after getting wet.  But overall didn't last very long. 

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 01:30:25 PM »
I use the JOTO waterproof case / bag.  I haven't had any problems, but I did do a 15 min. submersion
test before using it.  http://www.amazon.com/JOTO-Universal-Waterproof-BlackBerry-Motorola/dp/B00LBK7OSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436214402&sr=8-1&keywords=joto

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 01:31:02 PM »
When I paddle flat I keep keys and phone in a bag like creek. Works great. I wouldn't trust a day to day case for waterproofness. Too much wear and tear.

Twitchy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 04:42:48 PM »
I've had the SnowLizard case for about a year now.  It has a solar panel/battery pack built in.  I wanted something to keep my phone charged on the long paddles when I use the GPS apps which seem to really drain the battery.

14' Niash Javelin MC
9'6" JL B&B
9'2" NSP Cocomat-beater board
7'4" Starboard Pro

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 06:13:06 PM »
Had two life proofs.  Seemed to work ok but speakerphone was unintelligible with them.  Samsung Galaxy S5 is waterproof without a case.  Usually leave mine in car though.  If I needs comms, it's a marine radio.  Guess if I was going down the river or doing a big fresh water tour I would stow it in a small dry bag where I keep my keys.  That snow lizard intrigues me though....

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 06:54:15 PM »
I do exactly what SupdaCreek does-I go to West Marine and buy the cheapest smartphone bag with a lanyard that fits my current phone, put it around my neck and stuff in my wetsuit. As much as I would I like to say paddling is my escape sometimes I am in fact getting on a swell when I should in fact be working. I have taking calls outside the break numerous times.
New England Is My Playground

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal