Author Topic: New GoPro Hero 4 Session  (Read 5645 times)

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New GoPro Hero 4 Session
« on: July 06, 2015, 09:18:16 AM »
Wow this thing is small.

$399.99

https://youtu.be/PjGkVCAo8Fw
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
Re: New GoPro Hero 4 Session
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 02:37:14 PM »
This  is exactly the size I've been waiting for to use in my revolutionary POV mount called " the crotch shot".  It will be the first mount to truly capture the epicness of wave size ridden and forever put an end to "front mount disappointment".  It will hang between the legs with a small gyroscopically stabilized pendulum. Using this devise I will be able to truly capture the true epicness of my sessions and in fact the true epicness of me... and then be able to.. Rule the World...But seriously that is the size I've been wanting.

What a great video, I'm just a sucker for girls on short boards...
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

jordanzs

• Malibu Status
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jordanstallard
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 03:13:47 PM »
The video & image quality is inferior to the Hero4 silver.    Big difference.   Check out the testing on this video:

http://youtu.be/xxiCVu_SdDw

That's a big enough step backwards for me to avoid that camera all together.

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 03:30:58 PM »
Oh man, Great review.  Must formulate new plan.
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 03:04:39 AM »
Thanks for that Sup-positions & jordanzs.... the youtube reviewer was great, very informative.

The best use of the "Cube" for SUP might be paddle mount..... small enough to have minimal impact on paddling.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 05:21:32 AM »
GP has to do something... they are a massive target. I'm surprised the Chinese took so long fiddling around with marginal products.  The Chinese have also had cube shaped cams for a while, tho' cheezy.

Maybe GP finally has someone with the muscle to be concerned about: Xiaomi. Their current valuation is something like U$46B.  These are the folks who make/sell phones in China that go toe-to-toe with the iPhone at less than half the price - the Mi4.  This action camera of theirs sells for like $100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejbz5jsOKyw

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

jordanzs

• Malibu Status
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jordanstallard
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 02:44:12 PM »
BTW for any of you that shoot with the Hero4, I've found that the magic settings are to enable Protune, and set the EV Comp to -.5, and then lock in your ISO depending on the sunlight or lack of.   I shoot empty waves a lot, and whether I'm shooting frontlit, backlit, toplit, etc, kicking down the EV Comp gets much better photos.    They're not so washed out, and also since the GoPro's aperature is fixed, and you're fixing the ISO, the only way for the camera to underexpose is to boost up the shutter speed, which will give you crisper action shots.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 09:08:10 AM »
I think the new session camera is great- small, light, simple to use, easy to take with you.  Here is a little video review I put together with my favorite mounting options for Stand Up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5QKO9LT40w
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 10:03:27 AM »
Wow Robert, awesome review…so professional and so informative.

That little unit looks like a winner. Most important for me in the strong sun, it's easier to see the red light blinking letting you know it's filming.  I could never tell with the other one..and another plus is without the case, it shouldn't fog up.

One stupid question..that little cube is completely waterproof without any case or anything?  It just seemed like a simple cover over that memory card slot. 

thanks for posting that great review.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 10:44:55 AM »
Yeah, I'm debating getting one to replace my old ContourROAM, I'm sure the image/movie quality would be much improved, I just like the form factor of the Contour on the paddle mount and on a line mount when kiting.

The one other motivating factor to switching over to GoPro would be all of the drone mounting capabilities, I'm itching to buy a drone. The GoPro app seems to be finally semi-worthwhile too.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 11:19:18 AM »
Wow Robert, awesome review…so professional and so informative.

That little unit looks like a winner. Most important for me in the strong sun, it's easier to see the red light blinking letting you know it's filming.  I could never tell with the other one..and another plus is without the case, it shouldn't fog up.

One stupid question..that little cube is completely waterproof without any case or anything?  It just seemed like a simple cover over that memory card slot. 

thanks for posting that great review.
The little cover over the card slot and micro USB port has a rubber seal that looks pretty solid.  It is rated waterproof to 33 feet/ 10 meters.  The battery is built in and can't be changed out.  It also has two microphones built in and it automatically chooses the one with less wind noise.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 11:37:24 AM »
Another very informative review video Robert... and some great waves as sample shots!

I know it is implied by use, but many don't realize, that it does not need a waterproof housing.

I appreciate the mounting suggestions... it seems like it is perfect for the headband or paddle mount with its small size.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 08:16:37 AM »
Thinking of updating my ContourROAM to one of these. I mostly use it for line mount - Kiteboarding and Paddle Mount - SUP.

I saw a video of someone using it on thigh/leg and it was a pretty cool view.

Any other opinions?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 10:49:14 AM »
They just knocked $100 off the price of the Hero4 Session down to $299.

I'd love to get a paddle cam setup, but the normal sized GoPros are too big for me (they bug me on there).  I'm most interested in having something available to get shots of my buddies....usually when they are grabbing waves while I'm paddling back out.  I think the Session might work for me.  But, I think I'm going to hold out for the Hero5 version (V2 usually has quite a bit of improvements from a first gen).

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 10:53:51 AM by surfafrica »
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal