Author Topic: Hot, hot, hot...  (Read 2792 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Hot, hot, hot...
« on: July 06, 2015, 08:40:40 AM »
Toasty in the Gorge this weekend, but at Pacific Raceways it was brutal. I was chasing a bad miss in Peyote all weekend which started off with a bad head gasket (replaced it in the pits) but then persisted in lesser form through several distributor changes and a lot of fiddling. So I got to wrench out in the sun and heat and then put on my firesuit and go race with a sputtering car that only cleaned up at full throttle and high RPM. Never solved the miss but it ran well enough to take a first and second starting from the back of the pack. Even with all my sweating and swearing I came out better than my main competition, who all either crashed or broke.

Fortunately the air conditioning in Nero, my trailer, was working fine with the two quiet Yamaha 2000 watt generators in parallel, though it was a little closer to the breaker tripping point than I care for. Made it through the weekend with a happy wife, so that's good.

Racing cars is a lot more stressful than racing SUPs, and when you get hot you can't just jump in. But it was a fine weekend. As usual we celebrated the fourth at the home of a racing friend on a little lake that has a fireworks display. He covers his entire dock with quasi-legal fireworks with names like "Jailbait" and follows up the official fireworks with his own, which was equally spectacular but a lot closer. My face was speckled black from all the soot falling on me. Diane was hiding in the bushes.

Hope everyone had a fine fourth.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hot, hot, hot...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 09:27:55 AM »
I just had the condenser in my car replaced so now my AC is ice cold. Strange, my better half didn't feel like taking my car up to Tahoe last weekend with no AC, I told her it wouldn't be that bad and that the extra room my car had would make it worth it. I'm lucky she's smarter than I am, I'd probably be single if we had taken my car.

Pono, your buddy posted a video of his fireworks display:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRCSyPyzV-4

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 04:55:49 PM »
Hey PB, how do you like those Yamahas?  When I converted my bus I considered the Honda EU-2000 and was thinking two in parallel. I saw those Yamaha generators and they looked enticing. That was some few years ago. Well once again I'm kind of in the hunt. They work well for you? And quiet like the Hondas?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 08:54:55 PM »
Kaya--not even close. That would have been the first ten seconds of forty minutes of intense, up close fireworks. Definitely different. All triggered by a single fuse.  Started off by letting the kids use up two cases of roman candles--BIG ones. that punched like a shotgun then they fired a round. I made the mistake of lighting three at once, could barely hang on to them.

Green-- I like them a lot, but they're expensive. I'd probably go with something cheaper if I did it again, all of the generators are made in China these days, paying an extra 500 each for brand is probably silly.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 10:59:54 PM »
Still sweating, and still chasing that miss in Peyote. Driving me nuts. I swapped on a spare cylinder head, rebuilt the carb, put on a new distributor, checked for air leaks, replaced the coil, did a dozen leakdown tests, went back to points, disconnected the tachometer. Damn. And it's hot as hell in my shop.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 11:18:20 PM »
It could be a bad plug wire. The wires can look perfectly good on the outside but be toast in the center. My K bike had a miss that I chased for a while. Checked the coils and plugs and the ignition black box was the next thing - they are spendy buggahs. So, I put new plug wires on and the miss left. You could check the wire continuity passing current through them I guess. Thought I'd bring it up. Air, fuel, spark. Gotta be one of em.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 06:29:42 AM »
Yeah, I changed out the plug wires as well as the distributor cap. Had one already made up. And I use 8mm silicon wires with good caps, so the wires are less likely to have a problem. I'm going to try to get it on a dyno in Portland with a diagnostics computer. Might give a useful hint. I still think is't ignition since the timing light is jumping, but I've replaced everything there twice or more times. Nutty.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 10:09:06 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out what made the guy in Maine think that lighting a mortar off the top of his head was a good idea. Of course now the family wants stricter laws.......sorry folks...you can't ban stupid.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 10:23:16 AM »
I had a brand new set of msd wires for my race car and had a weird miss over 6,500 rpm.  Checked the resistance on all the wires one wire had 10 times normal.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 10:43:55 AM »
 Had a fiendish intermittant high speed miss due to a defective coil in a dual coil setup.

Never tested bad swapped and voila. The coil did say do not exceed 8000 sparks per minute, but it was a  Prince of Darkness product..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 11:50:14 AM »
I was once stymied by a low tension wire to the coil.  But, in  addition to misfire, the symptoms included burnt cap(s) rotor(s), etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal