Author Topic: BigGuy SUP Search 2015  (Read 29380 times)

bigmak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BigGuy SUP Search 2015
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2015, 02:38:14 PM »
Thanks for the response stoneaxe.  I've only been SUP'ing for 1.5 years now and started with my Avanti (230L).  I was weighing in at 335 at the time and with my wetsuit on I was 340+. I found it hard to catch waves, like it wasn't floating me well.  Went to Maui and rode a Naish Mana 11"6"x35" (262L) and realized I needed a bigger board.  Bought the Blair 11'3"x37.5" (252L) and learned how to surf.  Love being able to walk all over it, but it's huge and heavy.  Since then I've lost a lot of weight and got better surfing.  I took the Avanti out again after a long while not riding it and it was fun, but I feel like the rails are too thick and really big and hard to turn.  Want something more maneuverable.  I should probably mention that I only plan on surfing waves maybe head tall, with most of my surfing being in knee to chest high waves.   

I have it in my mind I need to keep the volume around 200L.  And I want something around 10' and 33-34" wide.  But to hear you can ride a 160-175L board sounds pretty cool. Was hoping to get some feedback on what could realistically work for me at my weight.  I think it may be time for me to go demo a few boards to see what I can get away with.     
Custom Kronos 10'x33
Custom Foote 10'4 x 34
Fanatic Allwave 9'10 x 33
Starboard Avanti 11'2 x 36
Joe Blair 11'3 x 38
Naish Glide GTW 14'x30

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2015, 03:20:17 PM »
Here's a couple that would work for you...we just built these California built custom Hammers for repeat clients...10' x 33" @ 181 liters for Fred...and, a 10'6" x 33" @ 198 liters for James...we also have production versions in stock...and, a container full that just landed...of course, we also have demo boards to try before you buy...

Pics below of big will at 260# on our 9'5" x 33" @ 178 liters Hammer...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2015/08/wood-hammers.html

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/hammer-series/

Topic: Da Hammer Series  (Read 62463 times)

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,19674.270.html

Here is his session report…

“Had a fantastic session on my new carbon production HAMMER 9’5″x 33″ @178L yesterday and needed to report out to my comrades… As of today, just after a nice healthy breakfast, I weighed in at 260lbs…uuugh, I need to lose a few lb’s! But yet, I now have a board that rocks!

I am an advanced paddler, and the board felt as stable as my 10’3″ x33 SUP SPORTS MAHALO…but it surfed significantly better in terms of cut-backs and overall speed on the wave face. The Mahalo surfs well – but for me, this is a significant improvement as the board seems perfectly sized and matched to my large frame.

I was fully suited up with my 4/3 and booties, plus a little clothing to save others from looking at that huge blob of rubber standing up in front of them Wink

Dropping into some fast sections yesterday at a fav beach break with overhead set waves – I was a little unsure if the board would come up to speed with me on it Smiley quickly enough – super stoked that it did – and then just “asked” to be thrown around!

The wider tail allowed me to keep up speed during transitions, and keep on rolling down the line after off-the-top smacks!

By the end of the session I was confident enough to walk up to the nose right after the initial drop and just “claim it”…board kept pace with the wave – and then I just walked back and cranked a nice cutback into another BT/OTL sequence before having to bail from being too greedy! Oh I love that…. A great finish to an outstanding 1st session…
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2015, 08:42:01 PM »
Nice looking boards WD.

So many choices. Best bet is to demo as always. Try as many as possible in as short a time as possible. Get a feel for what's possible. FWIW I was about 325 when I started, on the 12-6 x 30 that I still have. I think you would outgrow any more volume than 180 pretty quickly.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

bigmak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 02:34:42 PM »
Thanks for the 411 guys.  I appreciate it.  It was what I was looking for when I posted on here.  Just tried to go demo a board today and nobody around here (SF Bay Area) seems to have what I'm interested in.  And went to shop and got exactly what I'd expected, which was guy there insisting I get another big board (210L Jimmy Lewis Maestro).  Thought I was crazy considering anything under 200L.  Not sure what I'm going to end up doing.  May need to take a little trip down to Santa Barbara soon... 
Custom Kronos 10'x33
Custom Foote 10'4 x 34
Joe Blair 11'3 x 38
Naish Glide GTW 14'x30

supthecreek

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2015, 01:55:56 PM »
test....test...test.
I have tried for hours to reply to this thread, but I keep getting internal error
No problem replying to other threads.... so I'm testing ;D

supthecreek

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2015, 02:06:04 PM »
ok.... still can't post it.

Bummed... I worked on it for hours

lets try the math portion of it:

The universally accepted "float/stability factor" is a basic guideline to help pick a comfortable volume based on weight and ability
Your total weight in kg x your ability= volume you "need" .... remember, it's just a number.... because age, height and board shape etc, are huge variables
Pro = total weight in kg x 1
advanced = total weight in kg x 1.3
Intermediate = total weight in kg x 1.5
Beginner = total weight in kg x 1.7

ok... me first: rounding all numbers up for simplicity.... converting lbs to kg
225 lbs + 19 lb board + 1 lb paddle + wet clothing (summer) 5 lbs = 250 lbs  or 114 kg
My board = 130 liters
My board volume divide by my weight in kg give the "factor"
130 divided by 114 = 1.14

At a factor of 1.14, I consider myself on the very low end for 67 yo.... when you add in foiled rails and 29" width.... I am doing ok ;D ;D ;D
But it required a lot of balance training.
Moral? Don't let others define your limits
The only reason I can ride this board for long sessions, my 8'10 x 29  Speeed has a square nose that allows me to paddle into waves easily.... it gets more stable, the harder I lean & paddle. Shape matters!!!!!!

Your numbers.... using 30 lbs for board weight = 295+30+2+8 = 335 lbs or 152 kg

to be comparable to what I ride
152 x 1.14 = 173 liters ..... so Stoney's Foote is in your wheelhouse.... particularly at that length/width.  I rode that board, it is very nice... and I could lay down a turn on it with ease.

Advanced
152 x 1.3 = 198 liters ....... Fusion, Allwave

Intermediate
152 x 1.5 = 228 liters ....... Whopper extra, Maestro

Beginner
152 x 1.7 = 259 liters ....... Tanker the salesman will hand you ;D

Because you are much younger, and athletic, you should easily be able to adjust to numbers like mine.... but your height may dictate length and/or width

stay tuned for another episode... if this works :)

supthecreek

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2015, 02:07:52 PM »
Now we're getting somewhere....Next in the series:

You really need to talk to JimK (609) 641-4445.... he is at least your height and weight and a good SUP surfer.
He is a Zone sponsor who carries:
Starboard Whoppers, JP Fusion and Fanatic Allwaves

You may want to add a 9'10 Allwave to your list, it is very stable for it's length and surfs very well

The Allwave is only 33" wide, but the rails are thicker than the Fusion.
I have owned both of these boards.... they surf differently, but are both nice boards, at reasonable weights.
Been a few years, but I'd say the Allwave may actually be more stable (at my height)
But the Fusion is a good performer for it's size.... I can't say which suits you better...

... JimK has surfed all these boards and will be a great guy to ask specific questions

He offers great "Zoner" pricing and ships everywhere... so don't forget to mention you are a Zoner ;D
If I sound like a fan.... I am.  ;D
I bought my first board from Jim 4 years ago and have become great friends... he is a wealth of information and stoke.

and.... as a final note:
and I could get pounded into beach sand, for saying this  ???

I have watched stoneaxe surf all of his boards.... my take is..... he surfs better on the larger Foote, than on his smaller boards.
Stoney is a big, fit, strong man.... and the Foote just fits him perfectly... I see his best surfing, when he is on it!
It ain't all about going as small as possible.... it's about the quality of the shape.

supthecreek

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2015, 02:10:31 PM »
ok.... now for the FIRST part of my original reply..... please read backwards.... maybe it will make sense:
Hi bigmak

I started out SUS at 285 lb and 62 YO, with a lifetime of advanced surfing.

I am now 67 and 225 lbs, but understand the stability, surf thingy....  and the fact that many 150 lb salesmen look at us with a total misunderstanding of what we are capable of. ;)

Your height is a challenge that I won't completely understand, since I am only 5'11

You are looking at a good selection of boards and have asked the right questions.... because length can present a challenge when a tall, heavy guy, leans his weight forward when paddling into a wave.
I can only relate it to boards relative to my height, but the shorter the board, the more the challenge.... shape of the nose has a lot to do with that.

I ran some numbers for you to consider.
I am using my stats for you to use as a reference
Hopefully they will help you understand the dynamics a bit better and help you to apply them to your needs.
You know you better than anyone else, so go with your gut.

supthecreek

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2015, 02:15:29 PM »
golly.... that took longer to post than it did to write.
can anyone tell me why that would not post in one piece? I didn't change a thing.... just sent in pieces.

nj_sup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
BigGuy SUP Search 2015
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2015, 06:16:20 PM »
Great write up creek! This really helps put things in a better light for me.

Long story short. Became a proner later in life. Two shoulder surgeries later switched to SUP and last year started to SUS. For those interested here's a link to a thread from last season.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=25121

Times two on JimK. Met JimK a year or two ago and have a very similar story to creek's with JimK. Got two boards from him with a third on the way. Became great friends and surf the pier together (should say I try to surf) Great resource, honest, goes above and beyond and truly has your best interest at heart. He has helped and guided me immensely with my SUP journey.

Back to creek's numbers. By creek's formula I should be using a 187 liter board as a beginner SUS. I jumped from a 11-6 Surftech recreational board to a 9-5 Allwave which is a jump from 211.8 L down to 170 L. I don't get out in the surf as much as I would like or thought I would. With time constraints  and poor surf conditions I will distance paddle in the bay or ocean with my Fanatic 12' Ray Wood Edition every chance I get.  In reality I have a busy job, son who plays high level ice hockey 83 games a year or so with 4 practices a week at times, family etc etc.... All this limits TOW in the surf. In perfect conditions I can remain upright in the surf a good amount of time, however most times conditions are not perfect. Surfing with JimK this past weekend he suggested getting the 9-10 Allwave to spend less time struggling and more time catching waves and having fun. Looking at things with creek's numbers the 9-10 at 191 L is really where I should be, which is pretty close to the 187 L by creek's formula. The 9-10 is board number three on the way.  As usual JimK is dead on in the advice department. (More tuna on the way btw)

I know TOW is key but until I retire or the kids move on to college TOW is limited which is the reality. I do plenty of the tips given by zoners last year including upside down bosu exercises like squats, one legged balance exercises etc. Thanks for all the advice last season. I don't think my balance is bad, I can do the upside bosu without great difficulty, I played ice hockey and prone surfed. For me it's the limited TOW. In short JimK's advice and Creek's formula helped my confidence by coming to the realization that maybe I don't suck and just made way too big of a jump for a beginner. My advice to bigmak and anyone else in this situation is not to get hung up on jumping to the smallest board you think you might be able to handle. Nothing wrong with progressing nicely along the way, and having fun catching waves, and learning to surf with a SUP, than just giving yourself a nut lesson everytime you head out in less than perfect conditions.

Sorry for the long post
mike
Fanatic 9'5" Allwave
Fanatic 9'10" Allwave
Fanatic 12' Ray Wood Edition
KeNalu Ho'oloa 95 paddle

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2015, 08:04:57 PM »

I have it in my mind I need to keep the volume around 200L.  And I want something around 10' and 33-34" wide.  But to hear you can ride a 160-175L board sounds pretty cool. Was hoping to get some feedback on what could realistically work for me at my weight.  I think it may be time for me to go demo a few boards to see what I can get away with.     

During a trip to Maui a very cool local Hawaii Big Guy loaned me his JL Cruise Control to try on a few waves at Kanaha.  It's pretty close to your specs above, and a great Big Guy all around SUP long board!  https://us.jimmylewis.com/p/6784/CruiseControl

I ended up going a little shorter and wider, got a 2013 9'10" Fanatic AllWave, 190 Liters.  Great board for my 280 lb frame and my #1 go to board these days. Stable in blown out choppy surf, even at my weight.  Lots of Zoners can attest to how well this board works for big guys, JimK will cut you a sweet Zoner deal too.

MAX

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2015, 06:12:01 PM »
Great and thoughtful post as usual creek. You're right about me and the Foote. It definitely does fit me.

There really are so many things to consider beyond the length and width. If the Foote was the exact same shape but without the thinned out refined rails it would be a totally different board. Despite the fact that its 16" longer I can bury the rails of the Foote much easier than my 9-0. Truth is though they are all fun. I like the different feel each board brings. That's why demoing is so important....its all about the feel and nobody can tell you about that.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 06:13:56 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

bigmak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2015, 05:08:01 PM »
Well, thanks for the responses guys.  I appreciate the feedback.  From reading all your posts SUPTHECREEK, I was hoping I'd hear from you.  It was really helpful to see the numbers you crunched for me.  Thank you. 

Well, even before you guys suggested it, I emailed JimK.  I already have an AllWave 9'10 in the mail.  JimK's email response basically confirmed everything I'd thought about other boards I was looking at.  He and I agreed that the AllWave would be a good fit and a big enough of a change from my Avanti.  Looking forward to it, although I'm a little intimidated with the change in liters.  Going from 230 to 190 should be interesting.  I was also considering the Naish Mana GT 10' and but JimK's price was too killer to pass on.  I tried to demo boards but the shops around here have been selling all their demo boards off, well at least the ones I wanted to try.  Bought blind again.  Hopefully I won't regret it.  Sounds like everybody on here tends to love their Fanatics.

Stoneaxe, the Foote looks so nice!  I was just afraid of going to too low of volume with it.  Maybe one day, if I can find more room in the garage without upsetting the wife too much I can order a custom from him with a little more volume.

I'll let you guys know how it goes with the AllWave.  Should have it in a couple of days.     
Custom Kronos 10'x33
Custom Foote 10'4 x 34
Joe Blair 11'3 x 38
Naish Glide GTW 14'x30

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2015, 04:29:57 AM »
Sweet! Have fun.
Bob

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2015, 11:15:09 AM »
Hmm, according to the "Creek Calculator", I am also at about 1.20 on the Prowave with leash, paddle, clothes, wetness, board weight, etc.  No wonder it is taking me so long to get the subtleties.  But, I also got it early in my general learning curve.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal