Author Topic: BigGuy SUP Search 2015  (Read 29382 times)

supthecreek

Re: BigGuy SUP Search 2015
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 04:27:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure the ratio thingy is specific to Surf SUPs, because you need more stability in the wave action.
While that will be similar in choppy flat-water as well,  my experience tells me that the "ratio" is most important in the constantly undulating ocean.

I consider 1.5 to be super "floaty"

The width is THE most important number when talking about stability.
You could find a 300 liter board that is 14' long, but only 30" wide.... and it would be super unstable for you.
Go with width.

Along with width is shape
a round nose board with a wide tail is more stable than a pointy nose board of the same width/volume

of the boards you last listed, I have a bit of trouble ranking them from most stable to least because of shapes and widths.
Volume is easier, because thats simply math.
Math says that 152 liters will float you just at the surface. The higher volume goes above that.... the higher you float.

Sometimes boards with a lot of volume actually get tippier because they float you too high and increase your "leverage" when you tip. Known as "corky"

I'm confused... how about you?  ;)

I like the look of the Jimmy Lewis for flat-water. It will be easy to paddle long distance.....but I'm not sure how good it will be in downwind conditions
And 33.5" wide with a pointy nose might be the least stable regardless of its volume (maybe because of it's volume)
and its stupid expensive... so I'd personally cross that off the list first.

My stability ranking of the boards you listed...this includes volume consideration for your weight:
most stable at the top

1 - tie between the 12'6 Fish On at 34" wide and the Avanti at 36" wide..... and I still probably think the Avanti is THE most stable because of its great width (surfs great as well)

3 - ACE-TEC cross adventure - great, but due to shorter and 34" wide, it is less stable than the top 2

4 - Jimmy Lewis at 33.5 wide with a pointier nose and super high volume would be actually the least stable of the bunch.

Price wise the Avanti and ACE-TEC make the most sense for a first SUP..... you will have others, so start without breaking the banks
and buy a good paddle with the savings

Call JimK at Extremewindsurfing (Zone sponsor)
609-641-4445
He's a big guy like yourself (but taller) and the person I felt had by far the most knowledge about boards for plus sized men

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 05:23:21 PM »
Here's another to throw out if you looking at the BIC. I looked at this earlier this year. Advertise the same volume as the BIC.
http://www.amundsonsup.com/product/amundson-source-1110/

There were some 2014s out there still not too long ago.

Not sure how to describe the nose on the Searcher. I haven't seen the Starboard or Naish or many others that style in person but it isn't quite as pointy as it looks. There is some volume up there underneath that point. I found this photo. I load up all my crap up front and it doesn't sink the nose. I also don't get a feeling of corky on it at all as I have with some inflatables or even on a couple of my hard boards, all with less advertised volume. I don't know how to describe it, it is so smooth, the wind doesn't push it or blow it like others. The rails are so smooth and round, maybe they are magic but I really don't have any other displacement board to compare it to. Stupid expensive, yes to be sure, even if you find a past years but I think it has already passed the durability test for me. 
Yes, you will end up getting others.......whatever you get now is just the start. You will figure it out. 
I also know there are many here who have far more time on the water than I ever will and will get more paddling in during a few weeks in November or March than I may in all of July. This place is a great source.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:48:55 PM by lucabrasi »

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 08:19:08 PM »
Boardworks Great Bear is an option. 14' X 30" at 342 litres. I have paddled the 12'6" version, which is just over 300 litres, and it can float a ton of weight, so the 14 footer would work fine. It is designed for open water (ocean) paddling and flat water touring.

Bark Eliminator. 14 X 29.88 at 333 litres
https://www.paddlesurfwarehouse.com/used-surftech-bark-14-0-eliminator-paddle-board.html

Tahoe Tallac 14 X 31 275+ litres.

http://tahoesup.com/products/tallac-stand-up-paddle-board/
http://www.standonliquid.com/tahoe-sup-tallac-expedition-14-0-paddle-board

There is a lot of great advice on here already, but volume listings and recommended weights can be tricky and although on paper it should be an exact science, what the dealer recommends and what will work within and outside of their range of volume and weight of the paddler varies greatly. For instance, the older Naish Glide 12'6" X 30 is a huge board with a listed  max weight recommendation of 230 pounds, but a 265 pound intermediate to novice paddler could paddle it comfortably. You go up to a 14' foot board with the same width and a bit more volume, and the weight limits go up considerably.  Also, listed volumes need to be considered with board width and design. The Tahoe Tallac only has a listed volume of 275 litres (It varies somewhat across the web), but has a listed weight capacity of 340 pounds. The Tallac being 31" wide with a design catering to carrying a lot of weight likely plays into this weight recommendation. It was mentioned that only a couple of people who have posted on this forum can attest to your experience, which is true, and others around the 230 to 240 pound mark don't even come close. The heaviest I have ever been is around 225 pounds, but I have experimented with the limits some boards can handle. I had around 370 pounds on my Starboard Race 12'6" X 31.5 at 290L and the rails were still just above water and it was very unstable. At around 330 pounds, I could paddle pretty comfortably in flat water with another person on it with me. After experimenting with varying weights, I could recommend it to a 260-280ish pounder as a first board. As previously mentioned, going up to 14' with the same width and a touch more volume increases the weight capacity substantially.

Try as many models out as you can and ask a lot of questions.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 08:35:08 PM by robon »

BigGuy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 01:20:47 PM »
Hey everyone!

Just thought I would give everyone an update on my SUP Search.

I've spent a lot of time on the phone with several local dealers and have had 2 amazing conversations with 2 different stores around my area.  Both stores were upfront with their suggestions on what might work and what might not work due to my size.

The main store I use for my kiteboarding actually called a customer who is very close to my weight and he uses the Starboard Atlas Extra on all the same lakes I would be using it on and he has no issues with it at all.  It looks very similar to the Starboard Avanti 11'2" x 36" which was suggested by several users in this topic,  but it is 8" longer. 0.2" thinner and has 14L more displacement.

The best part is he can ship it in from out of Province and it will cost the same as the Bic Cross Adventure 11' X 34" which i was looking at before.

So what are your thoughts on the Starboard Atlas Extra??

It fits the equation for displacement, it is longer and is a wide board.  Kinda fits what everyone has been suggesting to me.

If you think its good board for a good deal ill go grab it and wait for my first SUP to arrive!

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to reply to my questions and concerns.  You have all been a huge help!

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 01:25:16 PM »
Yes, thats the right board.  Its a better fit than the Avanti.  The Avanti might be a little better if you wanted to surf, but only barely.  I meant to suggest the Atlas Extra but got confused between 36" wide boards.  Do it.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 03:31:12 PM »
I think, Good for you. Had many suggestions from many people to go along with what you had your eye on, got someone you already deal with to help out, and you can get it from them to boot. I have wondered about those big Starboard boards like that. I am sure it will work great for what you want to do. Post some on it after you been out some. I would pull the trigger if for nothing else it sounds like you may be able to be out by the weekend or soon after. Season is short in the great white north. Have fun.
I do notice you even mention "....my FIRST SUP to arrive!"

CamarilloCruiser

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 05:23:19 PM »
Advice sought from another tall dude.

1. I'm a big guy.  My height is 6'6" and weight is 265 lbs.
2. I'm looking for an inflatable SUP for limited storage/transport reasons mainly.
3. Most of my riding will be done in harbors or marinas, saltwater with relatively smooth conditions, but occasionally some chop.
4. I prefer the stability of a wider (35"?) and longer hull (12-14') due to my size, but because I have some riding experience and decent balance, I am also looking for some modest degree of maneuverability (should I consider a displacement hull?) with a higher tail volume.
5.  My budget is $500-700 for the board, pump, a good paddle, leash, and semi rigid fin.  I would be willing to spend a bit more for the right gear.
Can you recommend a brand or model?  I'm not necessarily looking for a new board, but that would be nice.  Thank you very much.

I'm relocating to Ventura county this month and looking for great spots to ride.  Any suggestions would be most welcome.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 05:23:32 AM »
Looks like a good fit, should be a fun board and plenty stable. If you do drop the pounds you'll be looking for something different in a year though. Not a bad thing, just what it is. You would do that with just about any board.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

BigGuy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 06:16:35 AM »
Thanks again everyone.
Took the night to debate between 2 different boards:

Starboard Atlas Extra 12' x 36"
Riviera 12'6" Fish On! Fishing SUP

Both look perfect for what I plan on using the board for, but in the long run I think I would get more use out of the Atlas Extra as I drop some of my extra weight.  I mainly ride flat/choppy fresh water, but I do head south(Florida, Hatteras) and can use the Atlas in the waves better then i could the Fish On!.  Plus the Atlas will save me $200 plus the cost of a paddle.

Thanks again for all the information everyone provided to help me in my search! Going to call today and order the Atlas. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:19:12 AM by BigGuy »

BigGuy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 11:10:27 AM »
**UPDATE**

Ordered the Starboard Atlas Extra 12' x 36" !!

4 days. . .

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »
Looks like the right choice. You won't need the side bite 'surf fins' went you're paddling flat water. They will just slow you down.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 01:13:41 PM »
BigGuy, you should be extremely happy with it!

I didn't realize they made the Atlas in 36" wide..... that will be awesome for you... and with that shape, downwinding should be a breeze ;)

Have fun, let us know how it fits.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 02:26:55 PM »
I surf with big Bob regularly down at San O and he has one.  Loves it to death. Grats on finding one that fits.

BigGuy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2015, 04:52:57 AM »
Just got the news that it will be in Wed or Thurs this week!
Sadly, Ill be working nights, but im going to wake my ass up during the day and go pick it up.
I want it for my weekend off..

I'll post pics once I get it home and on the water

BigGuy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
BigGuy SUP Search - Board Arrived!
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2015, 04:35:34 PM »
This is a bitter sweet post....

So my Board arrived today, so I ventured into the city to go and pick it up..  The staff were awesome there hooking me up with everything I needed and cheaper then I thought too(by about $200+)

Here it is:

Here is the bitter sweet part...  Our family is all gathering to go to a cottage this weekend which would have been perfect to give the board a shot..  While visiting the old people with family there, I took the board down to take pic and let others see it.
While i was inside going to the bathroom my brother decided to pick it up to see the weight of it...  It was windy and VERY gusty(about 50km).  While he was lifting it, a gust of wind caught it and slammed the front of the board into the tree out the front.

This is what I found about 30 min later:

At first I thought it could have been in transit or like this from the shop as they removed it from some bubble wrap and put it on my SUV.  So I sent them an email asking what was up..  after venting to the family about it, my brother fessed up.  So I had to send another email explaining what happened.

Ideas on how to fix this?  I haven't even had it in the water yet..  Store. Transport. Grass..  tree..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal