Author Topic: BigGuy SUP Search 2015  (Read 29403 times)

BigGuy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
BigGuy SUP Search 2015
« on: July 04, 2015, 05:23:45 PM »
As the title states, I'm a BIG guy in search of an SUP for my light wind days.

I am now to the SUP world.  I do kiteboard on windy days and I'm looking for something new for the light wind days when I'm off and bored out of my mind.
I'm 6'2" 335 lbs located in the Great White North.

My issue is that there are very few guys my weight that are as active as I am, so finding someone my weight who kites or sup's is very rare.  Most kiters at the heavy end are 220lbs and that goes with the guys i know who SUP too.  This makes it hard to get decent opinions on gear because everyone suggesting gear to me is usually 140-225lbs.

I'm looking for a board that will float a beginner on clam flat lakes and i can also use it if the water is a bit choppy.  It will be used mainly as a leisure way to get out and help drop some weight while playing in/on the water. Lake cruising and if possible some downwind rides with other buddies.

I've been tossing up between an inflatable or a solid board.  Both have their pluses and minuses.  I'm tempted to skip the inflatable due to the inflation time, issues i've heard from SUPers about getting that last few PSI in to ride, mobility issues, ect.  However, due to my weight, inflatables seem to offer the best float possible.
Transport/Storage is no issue for me which seem to be the big negative about solid boards and moving it wont be an issue as i'm a big guy.

Are there any big guys out there who are riding 2013-2015 gear that can toss out suggestions/reviews on gear that they know!
Even you tiny guys(150-250+ yeah, im calling you tiny), if you have some suggestions, please toss them my way!

Thanks!

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: BigGuy SUP Search 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 06:35:42 PM »
I saw a very large fellow at Privates yesterday riding a Jimmy Lewis Maestro and looking very happy balancing and catching waves.  When the board was up by the gate, I noticed it was 231L, which I think would actually be more than OK for your size.  That would be your weight in kilos times 1.5 in volume, which should be plenty.  If your balance is good, maybe even a smaller version.  However, as a beginner, you would initially want at least the 1.5 volume ratio.

The JL web site says the bigger board is 35 inches wide.

I don't know if this was the standard production board I saw or a custom, however.

It was a beautiful board, looked very well made, built to engage the waves and didn't look as massive as its liter displacement would suggest. 

Hmm, I saw in the photo on the website that the larger standard model was 195L, so the one I saw must have been a larger custom.  I imagine that would not be a problem by communicating with the manufacturer for your particular needs.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 06:46:21 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 08:38:36 PM »
I was about your size when I started. A couple inches taller and 10 lbs lighter. I'm 275 or so now. You'll get a lot of opinions but the best bet is to demo if at all possible. I started on the Starboard 12-6 x 30 cruiser. Great board, I think one of the best all around boards there is but it's all personal. I did struggle on it at 1st but I also have terrible balance. It sounds like you may already have decent balance so if you are looking for a board that will give a decent workout I wouldn't go too wide. It would also slow you down if your downwinding with friends. As the name suggests the board is a great cruiser, it will certainly handle chop.  I used to surf it all the time, did the CCBC on it twice and it even downwinds pretty well. You might also want to look at 14'ers. Angulo makes the Shaka which I think would be a great big guys DW board.
There are lots more choices these days for big guys than there used to be. Great white North doesn't make me think of surfing and you didn't mention it so it doesn't sound like surfing is a concern so shorter and wider is not the way to go.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:45:07 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 11:06:12 PM »
I'd probably steer clear of inflatables if I were you because you might taco many of them. But if you do go down that route then you might try the Starboard 16'x32". I have paddled it tandem with a buddy and our combined weight would be about 350lbs and it coped fine. In fact we could maintain a pretty good speed on it. It's quite light and packs down fairly small, and if you get a 12v compressor then getting it up to 20 PSI is no sweat, although I leave mine inflated most of the time. It's actually quite a pleasant touring board even if you aren't that big, and I can get me and both my teenage kids on it no trouble. It you go down the route of getting one of the super-wide boards then they are super-stable for sure, but the width makes getting a good stroke going quite difficult which can be frustrating once you are past the newbie stage. So go long if you can. But the most important piece of advice is - of course - to demo, demo, demo. As you say, it's hard for nano-sized people to appreciate the experience that a full-sized person has on a SUP, so they may try their best to help you, but at the end of the day it's your call, and only you can say what is right for you (whatever your weight).

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 11:31:54 PM »
"Transport/Storage is no issue for me"

Then forget the inflatable.. IMO.

Demo a board like the new 14'x30" Glide.

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 02:29:26 AM »
Hi BigGuy
I was 285 when I started  on my first surf SUP.
My first board was the Starboard Avanti 11'2 x 36" at 230 liters

It had plenty of float, and as cheat said, the math works, using the weight to volume calculation.

The Avanti is a surf shape, meaning it has rocker, which will make it slower than a race shape.
I paddled a LOT of miles on it in flat-water and loved it. I wish I still had it for my winter cruising.

My opinion:
Anything less than 35" wide is going to be much less stable for you, and since you are not surfing, extra width isn't a huge issue.
I think the Avanti would downwind on a lake fairly well

Have a blast, enjoy the stoke of a great sport!!!

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 05:11:35 AM »
Ditto the Avanti.  You will get used to the shape and transition quickly to a 34" Atlas, then a BigEZ 32" as you drop weight.  At 335 I guess you'd sink a Cruiser 30". 

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 08:37:30 AM »
Hey Big Guy,

Here is one possibility for you on the flat water and chop...

LPC River Rover
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,25627.msg261399.html#msg261399

Laird Puma
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=20686.0

I've tried out a number of nice boards (Naish, SIC, Surftech, Jamie Mitchel, etc...), but even at 260# found that they didn't float me that well. Us guys at the far end of the bell curve tend to get left out when production boards, bikes, etc... get made. If a board says its rated for people up to 250 pounds, that means the sweet spot of the board is probably going to be for someone 190 or so. You can ride it, but it won't be ideal. The two 14' clydesdale boards that have been the best for my weight so far have been the Rover and the Laird Puma (thats not made anymore). I have no problems at all staying with my smaller paddling buds when we are hitting it hard on either board, and I can out sprint them on the Puma.

I've kind of quit looking (sort of ;-) ) for 14' boards now and I'm keeping my eyes open for unlimiteds to try out.

I'm sure there are some other options out there that I haven't been on that may work for you.

Will

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 11:22:44 AM »
I'm 6'7 - 240# so like BWilliam said, we are the few. It's what got me into shaping my own boards, none of the race boards were made for guys like us. With the ever expanding styles and uses for a SUP, you now have some production options. There has been discussion about buoyancy in fresh water vs. salt water on this forum. Basically, your water line will be lower in fresh water. Seeing you're not going to be surfing, IMO just focus your search on a board with a displacement type of nose. A touring boards and or fishing boards. I've had inflatables, but they do taco in the middle with really big guys. Even the best ones.
Here are a few to consider:
https://www.boteboard.com/paddle-boards/2015-ahab-classic/

http://www.rivierapaddlesurf.com/collections/touring/products/126-fish-on

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

BigGuy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 02:35:12 PM »
Hey Everyone!

First off, Hi5 to everyone tossing out some info.  It's been really helpful.   
Here is an update on my search with some other questions ill toss your way:

Everywhere I have read, it suggests you take your weight in KG and multiply it by 2 for a beginner.  However a lot of the posts were from around 2010.
That being said:  150 x 2 = 300.  So I've been looking at boards with over 300L of displacement.
If I only need 1.5 for something to float my robust frame(150 x 1.5 = 225), 225L of displacement is a lot easier to find boards around that size with 30" or wider.

With this information I should be looking for something long, 12' or longer with a width of 30"+ for lateral stability with 225+L of displacement or more? Sound correct?

A lot of the boards suggested to me by the local shops are rated for a MAX rider of 260lbs.  I damn near have 100lbs on that(i should really weigh myself) and im not sure if Id sink them or if they would even work for me. They love pushing the inflatable ones due to their extra volume, but the one guy at the shop was brutally honest(which was awesome) and said pumping it is a pain and i'd likely taco it in choppy water.

My main shop I buy my Kiteboarding gear from suggested a few boards, but due to my size, they were unsure if I'd just sink the thing or even be able to paddle. One board had a gentleman around 300 who ride one, but they guessed his weight.  I believe one of the guys who works there is around 265lbs and hopefully ill be able to chat with him this week and hopefully be able to demo a board or two.

Here is what has been suggested to me from some of the local shops:

Leaning towards this: 
Bic Cross Adventure 11' X 34" - It has 260L of displacement, wide so im not spending most of the time swimming and states it rides easy for riders up to 300lbs (i got 40 on that though).  Price tag complete on this one is nice too. around $1500 with a carbon paddle included.
This is from my main shop. Hoping to talk to them this week and maybe demo a board.

Riviera 12'6" Fish On! Fishing SUP - Fishing SUP.  Thick and wide with 350L of displacement.  Single fin.  I think this would be great in flat water but if im out on the lake and there is any chop or riding downwind with the group i think this one might be awkward.  Not sure though..  $1600 for the board, likely could get a deal with a paddle included.  Thoughts?
I contacted the local Rivera dealer here and he has nothing in stock but is doing an order soon. By far the most honest and upfront sales rep ive talked to via phone.  Had a bunch of boards around 230L but was worried Id sink them.  He is going to call me when he has some larger boards in for me to test.  He is right on the water too.

I contacted the local Jimmy Lewis and they suggest this board:
Jimmy Lewis Searcher 12'6" x 33.5 - This is a beast at 363L of displacement but also at the highest end of what i was looking to spend on a board.  Roughly $2700 board only.  It is very similar to the board above with the single fin. But it is a Jimmy Lewis board and i've used a bunch of their kiteboarding surfboards.  They are amazing.

Forum Suggestions:

Starboard Avanti 11'2" x 36" - I have not found any dealers in my area that sell this board.  Lots of their iSUPs but none of their solid boards.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time and replying with your experiences and suggestions.  There are not many guys who paddle around here who are over 250lbs so your input is much valued.

Would appreciate any thoughts on the boards listed above, confirmation on the equation i used for board sizing and long distance Hi5's.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 03:21:10 PM by BigGuy »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 02:44:41 PM »
Everybody here has made great suggestions.  I would go with a ratio of 1.5 to 1.7 times your weight in kilos for liter displacement on the board.  You might experience a little difficulty at first, but you would rapidly grow into it, especially if you start paddling regularly and lose weight.

Since you have already done balance sports, you probably have OK balance, which is the wild card.

I think you would need to have at least 32 inches wide and preferably more until you get your water legs for SUP.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
Searcher. If you look hard you may find a 2013/2014/old style for 1800-1900. There a few out there still. Old style is just paint and a missing insert or two. Tie downs inserts are still there for sure. Check your box, I will send you a link that I know of one but he doesn't really do the shipping thing. Perhaps you could talk him into it.
You can look at this. I owe more pictures.
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,27086.0.html

I LOVE mine but I am about 120 lighter than you......but I bet I have put 30 pounds on mine. So easy and smooth to paddle.....smooth, wind, chop, wakes. Really, really nice board and it has already proved it's durability.  I couldn't think of anything better tho that Rivera Fish On looks sweet too. They look very similar.
River Rover has always caught my eye as has the Great Bear. I haven't paddled either.

You could check out the Hooked. There is a thread on it in the fishing section here and I think Ninjatuna has one in there also about that sweet Ahab.
Have fun looking. You seem to be on the right track.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 03:53:06 PM by lucabrasi »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 03:59:57 PM »
It boils down to how much of a challenge do you want this to be? Of the folks that have posted I think only creek and I have gone through what you're trying to do. We have very different approaches to it but results have been somewhat similar. We both lost the equivalent of a small person while learning to SUP. I know the cruiser would be a bit of a struggle for you at 1st but I figure if I can do it from where I was when I started it would be far easier for you. If downwind is an important part of it then you definitely will be better off with either 14 or 16. DJ's suggestion of the glide is good too.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 04:20:04 PM »
The 30" Naish Glide is one I would like to try out...

Will

PS: The LPC River Rover is geared toward fresh water so its a little more buoyant.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 04:25:56 PM by BWilliam »

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 04:27:01 PM »
Oh my. Look at all the sweet boards. I really like the way that Naish looks for sure and would love to try that as well. 

I had been looking at this earlier this season.
http://star-board-sup.com/2015/products/elite-touring-14x30/

As the season has gone on, my eye has wandered elsewhere and by golly if it isn't even wandering more now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal