Author Topic: Have i picked the wrong destination? Bali  (Read 7112 times)

Superpedro

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have i picked the wrong destination? Bali
« on: July 04, 2015, 05:08:23 AM »
I got tickets to go to Bali for 2 weeks early September this year... In the excitement of SUP surfing in warm clear perfect waves i forgot to do some research... and there is not much in this forum about Bali!    :-[

I assumed that i could find lots of places to rent boards and getting a SUP guide with me to show me around the perfect breaks 'cause i'm traveling with my non surfing wife. To my surprise the only place to rent boards and guides is with Jankie at www.bali-standuppaddle.org (which i think they are a great place and i'm already talking to Jankie ) but it is on the west side of Bali and we want to go the east side!

So, my question is... have i got the wrong destination? is west bali not a SUP friendly spot? I was planning to sup surf at medewi and old mans break in Canguu... any fellow SUP'ers that wanna hang out in bali with an 46 years old man and his board?

any help?

/Pedro

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Re: Have i picked the wrong destination? Bali
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 05:36:10 AM »
I went three years in a row and rented in year 1 from the Rip Curl School of Surf. They have a Centre in Legian and another in Sanur which also rent SUPs and have taken me out on one of their boats to other breaks from Sanur.  I'm not a hard core SUS guy, but when the tide and conditions are right Sanur has been a lot of fun. Rent right from their centre on the beach (get there early to get the best boards or bring your own), and paddle out to the breaks from there. After my 2nd year I bought a board from these guys (they are the Starboard dealer there) and always bring my own.

There are many other places I'm told, but I like Sanur as tons of space and different breaks to paddle and hardly anyone else out there. A word of caution. Surfing is really big in Bali and SUPs are not always made to feel that welcome in many areas. When I took a local guide from the school (who also teaches surf) to a nearby surf break, we stayed well off to one side of the break, and between sets he asked me to sit on my board and not stand on it so as not to attract attention to ourselves.

I missed going this year, and regret it. It is a fabulous place, and some amazing places to SUP.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 06:28:19 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Superpedro

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 09:51:41 AM »
By no means i'm a hardcore SUP surf rider but i'm way better on my SUP than on my prone longboard!

So it looks like that i will do the daily commute from Canggu to Sanur for an early session!

Thanks off-shore  for your advice!

/p.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 02:53:47 AM »
Superpedro. Traffic is bad in Bali although there has been some new roads recently. So depending on the time of day this trip can take an hour or so. At Sanur the reef breaks are around 0.5mile / 800m off shore and when the tide is out you can't paddle it. So check the tides. The Rip Curl Centre is on the beach and they are a friendly lot. There are outside showers and lockers so you can just turn up and paddle. I don't know how their gear is now but it was in reasonable shape and they had adjustable paddles. With a young family I usually try to head there for when it opened (I think at 8.30am but check), if tides were okay and then paddle for 90mins and then get back to my family for the rest of the day. If the tides did not mesh with that schedule, I would go as late as possible in the day. The centre has tide charts so on your first day get one from them. I'd also recommend taking one of their guides out on day one to show you the best break for the conditions. Last time I was there there were 3 of us including one buddy on his long board. It's a great mellow place.  Take wetsuit booties as the reef is gnarly and shallow.

On an off day, I'd recommend the waterpark. It has one of the best food courts of any waterpark I've been to and some great rides for adults and kids alike
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:57:54 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 05:57:27 AM »
jankie is a cool guy - he may deliver to you on the west side for a 2 week rental - otherwise assuming you have transport make your way over to sanur one day and go out with himfor the day  and then take the board home - repeat to return the board at the end

i have rented from jankie twice using both methods (canggu/seminyak is a much nice place to stay i think)

old mans was my favourite spot - theres parking and a few warungs - go early or late as it can be windy

there are board rental places as well on the beach - they did have a couple of huge old sups with fibreglass paddles but may have upgraded so maybe check them out

have agreat time - bali is FANTASTIC

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 09:02:34 AM »
Not to cross post but check the seeabreeze forum. It's full of Aussies and there's a lot of info there on Bali as that's their backyard. They cover sup in Kuta and yeah, unless you're Gerry Lopez, you won't be shredding Uluwatu but I've heard you can have a ball staying on the less crowded breaks. Any money you pay a guide will pay off, as well as helping a local live the dream.

More importantly, bring back trip pics and intel so the rest of us can roll over.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 01:19:44 PM »
Yesterday in Bali. Courtesy of my most wonderful brother.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 08:29:10 PM »
Ahhhhhhh..LEFTS!

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
Why can't you paddle out when the tide's low?

At Sanur the reef breaks are around 0.5mile / 800m off shore and when the tide is out you can't paddle it.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 10:55:16 AM »
If you were spending 1 to 3 months on Bali and you needed ALL 3 of the following, where would you stay and what time of the year would you go?

- Super close to consistent uncrowded fun waves that are sup-surf friendly.
- Cheap basic accommodations.
- Decent reliable internet.

Rakky

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 09:46:59 PM »
I went to Bali in December 2014, for 14 days - for SUS. 
I stayed in Sanur, very close to the water.  I rented from Jankie and went out nearly every day.  The winter waves were 3-6 ft, but perfect.  I am a beginner for SUS, but picked it up quickly as the waves were plenty and good.  You do have to paddle out nearly a mile to get to the reef. 
I think the daily rate is higher if you have to take the board to another location, i.e., away from Sanur.  Waves are better now, than in December. 
Kuta is very touristy and waters are busy with people. 
Mentawais for me next trip 
Starboard widepoint 8'10. 
I'm 5'11 and 185 = high BMI

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 08:53:41 PM »
How much did it cost for your accomodations in Sanur?

Was the internet decent?

Were those 3-6 foot perfect waves crowded?

Were the waves a mile offshore because the tide was low?

Thanks.  :D

I stayed in Sanur, very close to the water.  I rented from Jankie and went out nearly every day.  The winter waves were 3-6 ft, but perfect.  You do have to paddle out nearly a mile to get to the reef. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 09:23:09 PM »
Magenta, The distance is not due to tide, it's where the reef is. Just like certain reefs in Hawaii, the beach is sheltered by an outer reef that takes the wave energy and is where the decent break is.

Take a look at google earth. Also remember some of the Maui guy's photos when they are on outer reefs. Way offshore. But it does look like Sanur's reef is more like 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile offshore but then of course you may wanna paddle left or right as well.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:27:18 PM by surfcowboy »

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 09:29:10 PM »
I get ya but someone said in an earlier post that you can't surf there at low tide, so I'm wondering if it's because the reefs are dry at low tide or because he didn't like to paddle that far.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 09:34:45 PM »
I've paddled at Sanur for 3 separate weeks in 3 separate years, and the paddle out is 0.5mile / 0.8km or more depending on where you paddle from, and which reef you paddle to (there are 7 - 8 different breaks). It is not crowded at all as there are so many different ones to paddle to. In my experience, internet in Bali is good, unless you stay in a place far away from the main centres.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard