Author Topic: Are you SUPing on the 4th?  (Read 13110 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Are you SUPing on the 4th?
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2015, 06:58:52 PM »
I opted for flatwater with Sue today. I've been getting a silly bad cramp in my right calf lately and it happened Friday but I managed to ignore it for the most part to finish the day but yesterday and today I figured I should take it a little easy considering I was having a hard time walking. Turned out pretty good.

Beautiful paddle today from Plymouth harbor to the outer beach, picnic lunch and some lazy lying in the sun, then goofing around in the insane washing machine at the point. The most boat traffic I've seen in years out there in all different sizes combined with a rapid current to make some fun bumps coming from all different directions. Really chaotic conditions. Sue surprised the hell out of me. I was working hard to stay upright, especially with what felt like a peg leg but she just rode with it like it was nothing. She didn't even get wet until I "somehow"  snagged her leash with my paddle.

The workout in the crazy stuff turned out to be just what the doc ordered for my leg. Finally feels a little looser tonight.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 07:01:02 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2015, 07:30:30 PM »
7/5 produced here in Jersey! Third Sunday in a row w/quality waves! Lucky lucky!

https://flic.kr/s/aHskfzE515

Nice stuff, Cook!
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2015, 10:28:18 AM »
I surfed the 4th at Lahaina Breakwall! I didn't SUS, just used a 9'X22" surfboard. The competition was pretty crazy. I was able to get waves at first light, then when the crowds got there I really struggled to get any. Every wave had 3 folks paddling for it. I'm from WA we don't really experience that here.

At one point I was set up right at the peak, everyone around me had noticed I had been patient, and a guy paddles straight out, spins right inside me and goes. I was so surprised I just watched it happen. He came out after and said "you have to drop in or you don't get any".

So I did that a few times and left.

There was a SUSer out at Harbors at dusk with a little headlight on. He was having a ball, I noticed during the fireworks he was still surfing! Once the break was lit up with fireworks he got after it. Good show.
Make paddleboarding great again!

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2015, 07:35:24 PM »
Lucabrasi- Thanks for looking up those photos. I didn't realize they took photos of just about everyone coming down the river. I was the SUPer on the red Corran board in that photo #21 you were referring to with the surfer on Kahuna. I didn't want to plow him over so had to skirt around the throat of that rapid. Almost made it all the way through, but fell downstream at the end of the rapid. Dan Gavere was the other guy several shots after me on the Starboard. He made several runs trying to get onto Kahuna. It's actually way harder to surf river waves like Kahuna on a SUP than it is on a regular surfboard. We had a fun day though. I always learn a ton paddling with Dan and a trip to Wyoming to paddle is always a summer highlight. A bunch of our friends were in a raft and several were in duckies. Good group. Managed to avoid Jackson the whole weekend and ended the day in Pinedale at the brew pub and watching fireworks. Great to wake up to cold weather and rain for the trip home. Hope to be back soon!!!

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2015, 09:57:35 PM »
Lucabrasi- Thanks for looking up those photos. I didn't realize they took photos of just about everyone coming down the river. I was the SUPer on the red Corran board in that photo #21 you were referring to with the surfer on Kahuna. I didn't want to plow him over so had to skirt around the throat of that rapid. Almost made it all the way through, but fell downstream at the end of the rapid. Dan Gavere was the other guy several shots after me on the Starboard. He made several runs trying to get onto Kahuna. It's actually way harder to surf river waves like Kahuna on a SUP than it is on a regular surfboard. We had a fun day though. I always learn a ton paddling with Dan and a trip to Wyoming to paddle is always a summer highlight. A bunch of our friends were in a raft and several were in duckies. Good group. Managed to avoid Jackson the whole weekend and ended the day in Pinedale at the brew pub and watching fireworks. Great to wake up to cold weather and rain for the trip home. Hope to be back soon!!!
Nice.
Noticed they loaded more photos up Monday so not sure if they were still in that sequence. Glad you got to see. It fun to look.
Archives were online till this season. I am sure you can still find your past trips there....somehow now.
That dude was a target. I haven't ever seen anyone surfing that wave before. No wonder he only in 2-3 pictures, and almost as something double exposed. Next wave, Lunchcounter. Yes......off to the side, no issue.  Kahuna? On the 4th of July? What you thinking? Who talked him into that?
I noticed Monday a girl in there. She rocking. She part of your crew?
I actually thought that was you on the Corran. I think you mentioned you ran that before. We will cross paths sometime I am sure. That the board I would try that section on. I saw that red whopper and thought that was part of your crew too.
You were definitely close enough. Pinedale was a good plan.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2015, 10:01:58 PM »
Lets try this. Will it post? She rocking it for sure.
Couple before and a couple after if it works.

(nope, didn't work.......)

Sheesh, if anyone interested..........at least today it is here.
http://snakeriverphoto.photoshelter.com/archive
Private boaters. 2015. July. July 4th. 2:00-4:00. Page 14. You will see her.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:09:43 PM by lucabrasi »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal