Author Topic: Excellent Gorge SUP Downwinder Video  (Read 7445 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Excellent Gorge SUP Downwinder Video
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 08:01:38 AM »
You're not going to see a huge difference. The Jimmy board and the SICs come from the same forge, different blacksmiths. A few years ago I would have said "Jimmy is a great shaper, but Mark is a great shaper and a super experienced downwind expert." Can't say that anymore. Jimmy's as big a downwind junkie as anyone I know. If it blows, he goes, and he's very fast. Takes the same kind of scary inside line as Victor. I don't know what those guys eat for breakfast that makes them immune to getting creamed by groundswell on a Maliko.

Covesurfer and I did one last run before he got on a plane. When he passed me off the split rock in the big waves in the middle of the river he looked like he was on some kind of waterborne Ferrari. Rudders make big boards feasible in that stuff, but they aren't necessary to be fast or look good.

NC glide -- the Columbia is deep, over a hundred feet in places and 300 feet at the base of the dams. I've done headers just about everywhere you see those big swells. I go deep when I get launched, and I've never touched bottom except over the sandbars. Whitewater rivers are different. I bang the bottom all the time in those grim places.

Oh, and Admin, you need to check my style out one of these days when I cruise the Hatchery--the picture of grace and beauty.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 08:34:04 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 10:32:21 AM »
How would the Bullet 14,( not the V2) compare to the M-14 in windier longer runs.

The Bullet 14 is faster in lower winds and smaller wind swells -> the M-14 is more stable in higher winds and steep deep swells.  Both are fantastic DW boards geared for slightly different wind power bands.  Constant 10-25 kts go Bullet -> constant 15-30 kts go M-14.  Long distance ocean slop and chop with variable windy conditions go for the more stable and forgiving M-14.

The Bullet 14 accelerates incredibly fast and is completely planted on plane.  The M-14 has a less planted feel but is more stable overall - it is also more surfy.  Cons are the M-14 is slower than the Bullet on flat.  Both are super fun DW rides in a bit of breeze.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 11:09:37 AM »
Nice video!  Obviously it takes a lot of skill to downwind in these conditions.  I am one of the old guys (68) who only SUP's on the coast of North Carolina.  Watching this video, and others posted on the Columbia River Gorge, raises a question - and I am sure it's a really stupid question but here goes ~ if you fall off your board in areas in this gorge such as that in this video are there rocks just below the surface that present a great risk of getting seriously injured.  When I was much younger I white water kayaked  and anywhere with big water was full of rocks but in the kayak you would not have the same issue of falling from a standing position and we wore protective helmets. I got bruised up a few times but this gorge looks both exciting (for very skilled SUP'ers) and very dangerous.  I hope my question makes sense.

Couple of thoughts; first in answer to the above question, as Bill has said, the Columbia is a big, deep river. The only really shallow part of a Viento run is the area known as the "Wells Express" where it can get less than waist deep, on the other hand it is all sand bottom there, except for the occasional deadhead tree stump. That is why that section has smaller and more lined up swell, almost like corduroy on the water! The Washington side at that point is the barge channel, passing Swell City and the Hatchery, and is very deep, which is why the swells are so much bigger. I posted a picture illustrating this difference earlier this year, I will post it again here. The area at the top is Oregon, it shows the Wells Express, down below is Swell City and the Washington side. The guy in red is me going through the Hatchery, trying to look cool riding a swell.

As far as looking graceful, I agree with Admin, it is not easy here. The really good guys can do it, I doubt that I ever do. When the swell is mixed up, coming from every direction at once, I am just trying to not fall in, the hell with how it looks.

My experience with ruddered boards (SIC F16) versus fixed fin (Naish Glide, Naish Javelin LE, North Pacific custom 14) is that I was definitely connecting glides easier on the F16, whereas I feel more like I'm actually  surfing on the fixed fins. The drawback to the rudder is that it collects a lot of weeds, which require periodic jumps in the water to clear.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 11:20:26 AM »
The most fun, and the real Wells Express is the edge of the light section, where you get big swells that are lined up and steep because they're getting dragged by the shallow water close to them. They also refract in, so you have to struggle a bit to stay in the best line. The fastest line is second darker band towards the Oregon side. Less shallow water drag, but perfectly lined up and less current. When I've taken that line sometimes I catch a single small bump and ride it all the way to the end, where it gets shallow and the waves start breaking. When the water is low the sandbar sometimes shows right at the end of that trough. I generally miss the sandbar, but I've snagged my fin in five inches of water and done a faceplant. Not recommended.

I don't know Lazlo, looking pretty calm, cool, and collected in the shot.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

easy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 05:18:52 PM »
Eagle,  thanks for the info.
  Winter months in the Bahamas we get 15 to 25kts with cold fronts coming through and a lot of short, steep, wind chop on the banks.  We also get some better waves in the deep water sounds, but nothing too big. I'm sure either the M-14 or the 14 Bullet would work well.   The Bullet is considerably less money and easier to get hold of and probably suits my wind range better. So I guess I'll end up with a couple of 14 Bullets to go with the Bullet V2s.   I'm gonna keep an M-14 on my wish list.
  Now I just have to decide on a big guy or beginner board.  SIC F14?

How would the Bullet 14,( not the V2) compare to the M-14 in windier longer runs.

The Bullet 14 is faster in lower winds and smaller wind swells -> the M-14 is more stable in higher winds and steep deep swells.  Both are fantastic DW boards geared for slightly different wind power bands.  Constant 10-25 kts go Bullet -> constant 15-30 kts go M-14.  Long distance ocean slop and chop with variable windy conditions go for the more stable and forgiving M-14.

The Bullet 14 accelerates incredibly fast and is completely planted on plane.  The M-14 has a less planted feel but is more stable overall - it is also more surfy.  Cons are the M-14 is slower than the Bullet on flat.  Both are super fun DW rides in a bit of breeze.   ;)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 06:04:39 PM »
Definitely get one or more SIC F14s.  One of the best boards for a new DW paddler and those that find a Bullet 14 too tippy.  My choice was a demo F14 or used M-14 for my wife -> and got the M-14 in like new condition for only $1k cash.  For rental would get more stable boards to increase the stay dry and fun quotient.  Good luck in your business venture as it seems like a beautiful place to work -> and play.  Have been down there once and it is so chill.

Have seen guys on F14s surf and go as fast as others on Bullets on a recent DW -> so they motor in the right hands.  Very stable for a DW board.  Certainly the more wind the better on the F14s and M-14s.

Here is a good video we linked before showing how easy the F14 and Bullet ride on a gentle DW run with a beginner on board -  :)

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal