Author Topic: Amundson 12-6 TRX-29  (Read 4721 times)

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Amundson 12-6 TRX-29
« on: July 01, 2015, 04:31:06 PM »
I paddle exclusively flat water and I'm looking to upgrade my SUPUSA board (12x31).  I've been paddling for a year, 5' 10" 175 and have pretty good balance for a geezer.  Do you zoners think this would be a good board for me? 

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Amundson 12-6 TRX-29
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
I've been paddling the Amundson 12-6 TR for about two years. It's not a bad board. I think it's strength is in less choppy water. My model has a pretty flat and wide bottom, which is great for calmer conditions. It's stable as hell, so the falling in part shouldn't be a problem at all. It's a pretty good cruising board.

My two issues with the board are that I purchased it as a durable board and it isn't what I call durable. (Sorry, Jim K.) The paint from the side chips fairly easily from paddle strikes and sometimes the chips go deeper. The nose got crunched when I was taking it of my rack and it tipped over — while still in the bag. Tough this board is not, although it probably isn't less durable than most boards of this caliber.

It also isn't great in heavier chop. It's not terrible, and the hull design is a lot better than a surfboard style nose, but I've paddled better in these conditions. A boof or sloped nose is superior to a straight, sharp nose in chop. I don't know your conditions, so you need to answer this for yourself.

The price is pretty good, and the boards are elegant. Just consider your conditions and the kind of wear and tear it will get. And definitely bag it, not matter what. Would I buy it again? No, but that's a personal thing. For general flatwater paddling, it's a good choice.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 06:29:17 PM »
IS,  Thanks, for the review.  Some of the lakes I paddle can get pretty choppy, so that's definitely something to consider.  I'm fairly easy on my equipment but rocky shores are the norm around here, so durability is a factor.  One of the reasons I'm considering the TRX is that it's pretty light;  I have some long carries over rugged terrain to some of my launch spots.

Any other alternative recommendations?

thanksup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 09:03:37 PM »
I have an earlier version of the Hobie Elite Tour and like it very much for the uses you have described. I bought it because it was billed as stable,
quite good in all kinds of chop,fairly light,and quite durable. It has delivered well on all these points. My girlfriend has pretty much declared it her board, she likes it so much. There is a good video here - http://www.hobie.com/stand-up-paddleboards/126EliteTour-6-2.aspx  I believe the correct weight is 27-28 lbs.

zirkel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 10:18:29 AM »
I purchased a 12.6 x 29 Amundsen TR-X last Summer, after much research, as my first paddleboard... and quickly outgrew it!

I loved the bamboo aesthetic of the TR-X but, like the previous reviewers, found the durability and stability in choppy water to be an issue.  I recently switched to a 14 x 26.25" board that, I feel, is much faster, tracks A LOT straighter, and is surprisingly more stable in choppy conditions. 

I might recommend you take a look at BlkBox's new bamboo carbon Uno production boards.  Both the 12.6 and 14 come in a 28" and 26.25" width.  VERY happy with my Uno thus far.  I have both toured and raced on it this Summer.  The weight for a 12.6 x 28" Uno is listed at 26.3 pounds on PBS's website.

http://www.blkboxsurf.com/sup/tekbox/uno/
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:22:09 AM by zirkel »

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 01:12:07 PM »
I'm 5' 11" 190+ and paddle a 29" wide board.  At your height and weight I recommend that you go 29-30".  31" seems like it would be hard to track straight with your height.  My current board is designed for flat water.  It is good at that and going into chop. But, it is not effiecent in choppy water, coming from the side.
29" should be wide enough with a well designed board.

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 03:19:02 PM »
Thanks, everyone!  I was in Hood River yesterday and couldn't pass up the good deal on the TRX-29. 
Big Winds seems to have a good exchange/trade-in policy, so I decided to take a chance.  I paddled the new board for a couple of hours this morning and really liked it.  The conditions were pretty flat so I haven't encountered major chop yet but I sure enjoyed the added speed and light weight.  I did get a bag and, though I'm not a rail banger, I'll probably apply some rail tape.  They supposedly tweaked the board some for 2015 so hopefully some of the shortcomings were addressed; we'll see.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 07:21:40 PM »
It is a good board, and that model is especially good looking. I might have been a bit negative on the board, especially since I was so disappointed by its durability, especially since I had been assured that the board was really very tough. Oh well.

On the other hand, I put over six miles on mine today, so that's something.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 09:02:26 PM »
Hey, I tested that board on a demo afternoon recently.  It seemed ok in our little bay and went efficiently through the water.  The Amundson rep said that it was very popular because of the easy to carry weight and lower price point for bamboo/carbon.  He also noted that the lower price was possible since they did not advertise nearly as much as competitors like Starboard.

http://www.amundsonsup.com/product/amundson-126″-tr-x-29/
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal