Author Topic: Sudden Cardiac Arrest!  (Read 35270 times)

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sudden Cardiac Arrest!
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 06:00:34 PM »
OUTSIDEWAVE the red tide is a nasty algae bloom we deal with here all year (much worse in summer) and they often close the beach after heavy rains due to high bacteria in the water. You can google it and the articles would steer you away from surfing in it, but hey when the waves are rippin we go !!

Really nasty stuff in a red tide.
The only cool thing about a red tide is watching waves break after dark.  The phosphorous makes the white water glow when the waves break. Its is really something to see.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 07:37:15 PM »
Jesus H., Biggie.... glad you're ok. Heal up buddy until then you can hang with me on the photo deck.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 08:07:00 PM »
ohhhhh, WOW.
Recover nicely. Look at you already......
Yes, what has been said already to you and the others there.

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 09:12:55 PM »
Dude................
You are one lucky SOB.  Glad you made it!
Major props to PADLSFR,Cory, and all responders.
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 09:25:57 PM »

Hoping you recover quick and get back out in the water soon!

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 10:10:31 PM »
The light will come soon enough, you don't go to it, it comes to you.

I had a heart attack at 38 while working a fire, I was cutting a hole in the roof, fell out, almost rolled into the cut hole. Lucky my buddy pulled my BA and yanked me back,,,I ended up rolling off the roof with a running chain saw.  I think the fall started my heart, nothing like a good ol cardiac thump.  Never saw the light  though.

Two years later I died on an operating table twice, I know what you mean about the sore ass chest, haha.  I saw the light that day.  Weird experience for sure. 

Do you have HCM, just curious. They want to place an internal defib in me and I'm fighting it. I'm curious what you got?  Did you get a pace maker or a defib?

Stay positive, glad you made it

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 11:12:39 PM »
Woah. That is one helluva story. So glad to hear you made it through. Face down in the red tide after a cardiac arrest...Not good. Just great to see that your paddle buddies were looking out for you and acted fast. Real heroes.

You'll be back out on the water in no time!
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 01:26:37 AM »
Glad you made it Mr. Big and big shout out to your pals, PADALSFR and Cory. One always hopes to be there for their pals or anyone really but it takes attentiveness to be that guy.  Uplifting.

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 03:11:17 AM »
Glad you made it Mr. Big and big shout out to your pals, PADALSFR and Cory. One always hopes to be there for their pals or anyone really but it takes attentiveness to be that guy.  Uplifting.

Wow!

Heroes in our midst.  PADALSFR/Cory, strong work! Everyone of us owes you a cold one.

Mr Big, I can't call you lucky, since that's such a horrible thing to happen. But you did dodge a huge bullet.
Odds of surviving an outpatient cardiac arrest: 1 in 10
Odds of surviving an outpatient cardiac arrest complicated by near drowning in toxic water: ???

Wow. Wow!  WOW!!

Sorry about the wetsuit. They've got to slice that stuff off to get at you.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2015, 03:59:46 AM »
Glad to have your sense of humor and positive waves back here Mr B. Take care and get well soon!

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2015, 04:29:40 AM »
Amazing story. The surf gods were looking out for you, my man.

I guess this is another thing we can put in the “Why We Like the Zone” thread. 'Cause we're lifesavers!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2015, 05:14:05 AM »
Whew!   Excellent work guys. 

skibike

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 05:38:29 AM »
Two years later I died on an operating table twice, I know what you mean about the sore ass chest, haha.  I saw the light that day.  Weird experience for sure. 

Whoa, thats pretty crazy goodfornothin! Crazy that people recall that as well. You sure have an amazing story!
L41 ST SIMSUP - 7'2 X 28" - 92L

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2015, 05:44:27 AM »
I was remiss in my last post to recognize the efforts of PDLSRF and Corey.....awesome job!

To recognize the efforts of the responders along with the spirit of "paying it forward" I'd like to present PDLSRF with a 6-pack of my recent homebrew (Endless Summer Ale) to share with Mr. Big and Corey.......I’ll get it to you (PDLSRF) next weekend when I come up to Newport.  I hope you guys can get together soon to enjoy and have a few laughs…I suspect you guys have a bit of a new outlook on life and all.

A toast: “To the Responders…May we all be so lucky in the event we ever need help!! ” 

Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 06:23:49 AM »
Very happy for Mrbig but this whole thing is tearing me apart a bit. I'm a bit of a sap and a little tender emotionally at the moment, Creek told me the news that morning shortly after it happened. We were at my Mom's funeral. In 2010 Bill and I lost our brother Dave when he had a heart attack and drowned while trying to help an inexperienced sailor keep his boat off the jetty at his house and I was the one that had to break the news to my Mom. All I can think is if only the response had been as quick he might still be here. Five years and I miss him like it was yesterday.

For those of us that love the water and push ourselves physically while we are on it heart atacks can be doubly dangerous. If you have any signs that might remotely be related to your heart get it checked.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:25:54 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal