Author Topic: Sudden Cardiac Arrest!  (Read 35271 times)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Sudden Cardiac Arrest!
« on: July 01, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
Last Monday I had planned to meet PADLSFR at first beach in Rhode Island for an early morning session. Off shore clean and hopefully uncrowded.

Dawn patrol with my 8'4" King's and my 8'10" Angulo in the truck and my antique short john as the water is finally warming up.

Paddled out at 6:30 caught a couple and..

I'm becoming conscious very slowly, but I'm in Rhode Island Hospital. Sign on the wall told me my name. Most peculiar Momma!

I learn that my heart had stopped, and I was found face down in the water by PADLSFR, and Cory. The dragged me to shore, started CPR and were joined by another CPR trained waterman.

My ribs still hurt like hell, but a small price to pay!

Ambulance EMT lads showed up and zapped me with paddles which finally created a pulse, but no breathing yet.

The red weed at first is really toxic, don't eat the yellow snow, and don't inhale the red tide even if you are a militant vegeteranio!

Anti bionics eventually cleared up the infection and a small defibrillator box was installed. Cyborg Man is alive!

Back at my house and feeling incredibly grateful for the support I have received from my family and friends as well as the fantastic medical types at the hospital..

CAN'T GET IT WET!

But the longer term prognosis is excellent. I am researching impact vests, and new suits. My ancient shorty shredded. There is a theory that my "sacrifice" created some surf. LOL!

Almost death, near death..There are many mysteries..

Thanks to everyone who brought me back!!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sudden Cardiac Arrest!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 08:48:30 AM »
Prayers for a quick recovery my friend!!!
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:49:26 AM »
Wow, thats crazy stuff!  back from the dead.  What a way to go.  Sounds like you will be ok, which is awesome.  I wonder if things will feel different the 2nd time around?  Glad you made it back Mr. Big.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 08:50:20 AM »
This post is "why I dig the Zone"... out of the hospital after a very close call and you're already posting on the Zone. PDLSFR filled me in on what happened, really happy you're able to post about it and seem to be in good spirits. Keep up the good vibes.

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 08:52:46 AM »
Glad your OK Mr. Big, thank God you had some friends around to help you, hopefully you're back in the water soon.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 09:08:41 AM »
Glad to hear from you big. Heard about the craziness from creek and was glad I didn't have another funeral to attend.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 09:09:12 AM »
Wtf B-I-G! Uffff, I'm glad you're ok. Take your time to recover fully and well. We want you around, paddling and posting, for a lonnng time.

Best wishes from Miami,

Jorge
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 09:11:13 AM »
Wow, dude, glad you didn't keep going towards the light. That's a pretty dramatic tale and congratulations to your buddies that rescued you. I enjoyed meeting your this spring. Stick around.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 09:11:43 AM »
Boy-O-Boy Bigs..  Glad to hear you returned to shore!  I wouldn't mind 'going that way' ..but I think I'd prefer, like you, to not go out in the first round.  Let's hope you and a few other posters here are talking about your new, 5-6 SUPotato a few years from now. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 09:17:33 AM »
   I had sort of an empty feeling after PADLSFR called me right after this happened, just waiting to see what the outcome would be. Short end of it: The Grand Kahuna has decided that you have not ridden your last wave. Glad to have you back and kudos to Cory and Derek for stepping up big time.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 09:18:12 AM »
Wow, scary! Glad to hear you're recovering well, and hoping next time on the water you find you've brought mad surfing skillz back from the great beyond!  :D

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 09:38:31 AM »
Zoner story for sure.

PADLSFR saw mrBig’s board and paddle floating oddly far apart and did his best CCBC paddle sprint over to help Cory pull him out of the water, then double team the CPR. Thanks for being there Derek and Cory, you have been fricking awesome !!!!

I had a great talk with Mr.Big this morning, and I have to say, he’s full of positive energy and sharp as ever (for a Harvard man) and very grateful for the way the stars aligned during this adventure. Living healthy and fit has paid off.

We will be paddling and surfing with mrBig before you know it.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 09:49:15 AM »
Glad to see you back, MrBig, and wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery with new reports from the field.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »
Sooooo good to hear your recovery news!!!!!!  I heard about your incident the day after and have been watching the forum here for an update!

Rest up and get well!!!!!!!!

FWIW, I purchased a Patagonia R1 Big Wave Vest (http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-r1-padded-big-wave-vest?p=88200-0) earlier this year for torso protection and some floatation....I have no intention of going out in anything big but liked the idea of this padded vest.  Its a bit pricey but I really like it thus far.  Of course, since getting it I've only gotten whacked once - and that was square on top of the head to the point of seeing stars for a moment and wondering if I was gonna start spitting teeth.   Maybe I should'a thought helmet!

Get well!!!!!!!

8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 10:04:31 AM »
Wow Mr.Big!  Creek had told me about this today.  I read about a surfer who was found unconscious and floating  on necn.com , but had no idea it was you.  Amazing story and so glad you are home and recovering.  Hats off to PADLSRFR and everyone at the beach that day who helped save your life.

Looking forward now more than ever to a day on the water with you…..I will toast to you and a fast recovery tonight!
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal