Author Topic: isle surfboards phantom 10'6  (Read 5057 times)

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
isle surfboards phantom 10'6
« on: July 01, 2015, 08:16:43 AM »
Anyone using this board?  pricing is very reasonable right now.   2nd board for wife/son/flatwater

is 27lb heavy for this size ?

jp

supthecreek

Re: isle surfboards phantom 10'6
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 10:41:45 AM »
Hi J,
My Alana is 26.4 lbs, at 10'6, so it seems fairly reasonable.

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 01:59:48 PM »
tempted to pick one up.   Any info on the isle carbon paddle ?   It comes with a paddle.  minus 50$ for no paddle  + 50$ for an adjustable.   
  I could go no paddle,  use the adj as guest paddle and get a good one for myself. 
 ....   OR  get the adjustable   and have two ok paddles
 ....   or get the fixed and maybe have a paddle I like.   

Option 1 is guaranteed to come out good but will cost me. 

JP

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 03:41:02 PM »
jpeter:  I bought my first board from Isle a couple of years back....they were then promoting "Tava" boards.  These (Isle) boards appear to be the same as the older Tava models - I may be wrong(??).  I brought a great big ol' 11'2" which I believe is around 30lbs.....HEAVY!  Looks like the Phantom models are the higher performance boards...so lighter. etc.  I will say that my Tava (epoxy) board is a tank in terms of build except that recently I have noticed a bit of de-lam around the side bite fin box (see pic)

Like I said, Tava and Isle may very well be two different board manufacturers, but (to me) they look the same.....point being: you might do a little bit of research on Isle Boards and any reviews you can get your hands on....I will say their service was awesome!

IMG_0260 copy.jpg
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 03:41:42 PM »
with pic...

Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 04:14:02 PM »
Pretty typical of a minimally constructed board. Probably #1 foam. Those fin boxes don't stand a chance with any kind of lateral pressure. I see people leave their boards at the shore as the tide surges in and out causing their boards to spin around. With the fins anchored into the sand and the board pivoting around them, the picture above is the result.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 05:55:35 PM »
jpeter:  I bought my first board from Isle a couple of years back....they were then promoting "Tava" boards.  These (Isle) boards appear to be the same as the older Tava models - I may be wrong(??).  I brought a great big ol' 11'2" which I believe is around 30lbs.....HEAVY!  Looks like the Phantom models are the higher performance boards...so lighter. etc.  I will say that my Tava (epoxy) board is a tank in terms of build except that recently I have noticed a bit of de-lam around the side bite fin box (see pic)

Like I said, Tava and Isle may very well be two different board manufacturers, but (to me) they look the same.....point being: you might do a little bit of research on Isle Boards and any reviews you can get your hands on....I will say their service was awesome!

IMG_0260 copy.jpg

Good to see a real review.   You sound like you have given it some good use in that the problem developed a couple years after owning it.    Most of the reviews I found were linked to the retailer,  so not independent. 

thanks,  Jay

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 06:19:10 PM »
Jay:  what I continue to love about the forum is learning new bits of info!  Case in point, Talldude makes the comment about (my damage - from the pic) being pretty typical and explains why.

Although I've not been one to let my board sit in the tidal wash, I do know that i, and other family members, have rode this board clean on into the beach jumping off in a foot of water or less.  It's entirely possibly the board continued into shallower water where the sidebite fin boxes suffered extreme lateral stress even though the center fin is 10" - and that box looks fine.

In summary, continue your research!.

Best,
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 12:07:48 PM »
I've got a soft spot for Isle as that was my first board--a 12' barge I got of Craigslist in 2009.  Big, clumsy, nothing sexy, but still probably the best $400 I ever spent as it got me on the water.  I can't say anything about the current models but if the construction hasn't changed, I give them high marks for durability.  Mine has been sitting in my backyard exposed and I haven't seen any sun damage.

As much as I like quality stuff, you're wise to think about what the board is going to be used for.  No need spending big $$ on something an entry-level user is going to take out 5x per year, so if the price is right...go for it.  Same thing on the paddle.  Don't expect quality at those prices.  It'll be good for a 2nd paddle, but I doubt it would become a "paddle you like".
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 08:25:37 PM »
I actually saw someone using an isle paddle this weekend,  not sure what the board was.   Couldn't bring my self to strike up conversation about any advise his experience on the equipment, as the person was wearing Full suit, booties, gloves, and winter type hat.    Just couldn't get past the arctic get-up.

JP   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal