Author Topic: Hurricane Type Swell  (Read 5076 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Hurricane Type Swell
« on: June 30, 2015, 07:01:58 AM »
That's what I'm callin' it! New Jersey was close to epic on 6/28! Nice leftovers the next day too! Rode "My Three SUPs" in the variety of conditions served up!
I was gettin twice the waves that were twice the size  and ridin em twice as far as the shrtbrders!  8)

I was def pleased w/what it was doing on 6/28 late afternoon.

Had my ass handed to me on this one! Found the sandbar in a hurry!

The next morning (6/29) wasn't too shabby either!

..aaaand the afternooner held nicely on 6/29!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:05:58 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Hurricane Type Swell
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 07:18:21 AM »
Wow...beauty's. Nice rides.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:37:59 AM »
ya cookie--i drove down at dawn sunday, and found dogmeat. watched what you enjoyed on cams from brooklyn that afternoon. count your blessings that you are close enough to go, and know, when it's good.

grrr    Long and Rhode Islands looking good for later in the week, so i will get something soon.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:55:43 AM »
ok Eastie.... I'won't tell you about RI ;-)

cook- # 2 and the last one are standout!
Great waves and shots.... thanks for the stoke!

I am on day 3 of Dawn patrol - evening glass-off. Whew, great run of waves :)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 11:46:35 AM »
Holy crap....those are some seriously pretty waves!   Those puppies are probably a couple of hundred hours away from my current level of experience/skill! 

Questions:
- Pic #4: I presume you're bailing off your board and diving to avoid the pounding?  Did you just let the board go or do you have a method of trying to hold the tail? 
- Pic #2 from the bottom:  Did you make it over that wave before it broke?  If not, how'd you manage it (bail, turtle)?  Are waves of those size somewhat safe to standup and attempt to paddle thru/over?

Creek:  Sounds like some footage coming our way(?)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 12:57:29 PM »
Go ahead, creek, hurt me.

I gathered you'd gotten some goodies in RI. I was stuck in the city with family time demands, so a dawn shot to NJ was all I could try.

I will go to NJ TH am, then to RI Fri. My turn, dammit. I will check in re Friday.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Garmize

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 01:17:42 PM »
Cook, Where are you in NJ.  I went out Monday and it was still cranking.  I had some of the longest rides ever.  I surf out of Bayhead/Point Pleasant and was able to go from jetty to jetty for the first time ever.  It was unreal, waves were breaking far enough out ever during high tide.  Hope we get that again.  They were great waves for bottom turn practice which I could use much of. 

Those pictures were epic;
Cheers

8'8"    Cannibal Blade - 118L
8'11"  Allwave - 150L
10'0"  Mana - 210L

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 01:24:58 PM »
It was GOOD,   I got enough wind to windsurf it on Monday. 

Shots from Sunday afternoon.

Creek was just killin it at the trailer park. 

JP   
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:29:27 PM by jpeter »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 05:20:45 PM »
WhatsSUP- Pic 4- me bailin' for the bottom. Did so many of those on 6/28 that I don't even remember this one. Pretty much rely on leash and keep fingers crossed. Some paddle outs were a solid 10 mins.
Next to last pic- Piece of cake. Punched right through the shoulder no prob. These are all frame grabs from the 84.7 GB of vid I captured so hopefully you'll see the action in full HD!
Check pic 6! Had my ass handed to me on this one! Found the sandbar in a hurry! One of the worst sup wipes for me EVER! Had to throw paddle while bailing. Went over with it and it held me to the bottom for a while. Finally surfaced w/about 25 lbs of sand in my wettie/baggies and paddle was like 50 ft away!
Creek- NICE on the three day run! Waves finally mellowed out today and I played catch up on my landscaping today. 8 hrs in the summer sun and I'm TOAST. I def like that last shot. I MADE myself switch sides w/paddle. Been leavin' that part out for WAY too long. Amazing how a cutty fires off easier like that.
eastbound- Too bad on the skunkin'. I coulda told ya 6/28 morning woulda been a no go. Surfline NAILED that forecast. Hope ya get some soon, bud.
Wow...beauty's. Nice rides.
lol, no doubt. Mother nature was putting on quite the beautiful oceanic display!
Garmize- I'm LBI. Been here since '68! Bay/Point? Nice! I was curious what it was doin' up there. lol, "Those pictures were epic"! I said it was close! btw- what were you ridin?
jpeter- Windsurfin' it sounds cool. Always wanted to try but too much $$s. Those SUPs ain't cheap though! Nice pics you nailed. Like the one of Creek droppin' in and the dude bottom turnin' frontside w/boats and jetty in bckgrnd! Stinkbutt goin' wrong way made me lol! I see you only gave it a GOOD! Where's trailer? Cape Cod? Gotta get out there this yr and satisfy my curiosity!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 07:26:31 PM »
Cookie....Trailer Park is where I get all my beach bunny's..... just a half a mile from the railroad tracks.
we were in at 5 am again today..... like you.... I'm toast, not from sun, but from 5 hours a day on a 29" wide board  ;D
Waves tonight, but luckily I'm meeting another Zoner to buy his spare Ke Nalu  :)

JP... Thanks for the pics and props!....looks like you were down the other end, shooting with a big lens.

we were in at 5 am again today..... like you.... I'm toast, not from sun, but from 5 hours a day on a 29" wide board  ;D
Waves tonight, but luckily I'm meeting another Zoner to buy his spare Ke Nalu  :)

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 06:52:43 AM »
Rhode Island was really fun on Sunday.  I got there approaching high tide around 5 after my four hour slog back from Jersey.  Pulled in right as Creek was getting out of the water but it was still pumping through the evening.  The next morning was a lot of fun as well though the swell dropped considerably - was really stoked to surf with Creek and try his 8'10 Sunova Speed.  I imagine the full review is coming soon and he was able to compare it to his old Hobie Raw - my new board :-).  The one thing I definitely could feel is how it really dug in and snapped around on the bottom turn and it surfs really well backside - those V-shapped gutters next the fins seems to really help make the board come alive when you put pressure on the tail and carve.  Heading to Long Island tonight and looking forward to a surf-filled holiday weekend! 

JP - that last shot with the jetty looks familiar... ;-) I spent the last month living in one of those little cottages on offshore rd and was waiting for that spot to break the entire time without any luck. 

Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 08:42:10 AM »
ok Eastie.... I'won't tell you about RI ;-)

cook- # 2 and the last one are standout!
Great waves and shots.... thanks for the stoke!

I am on day 3 of Dawn patrol - evening glass-off. Whew, great run of waves :)

I know where you've been lately  ;)

Sorry I missed your call the other morning but was already in my office for an early meeting. I assumed you were calling to let me know how good it was since another buddy of mine was gracious enough to send me a video of a certain spot in south county. We haven't had any good surf in awhile out here but at least the water is warm.

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 05:58:22 PM »
Going to stop in RI for sunrise surf tomorrow en-route to the cape cod 4th holiday madness.   

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 06:14:21 PM »
Great stuff guys! Man I'm jealous! Cook, you and Creek are lookin' good on those new boards! I may have to get you guys to clean out your spare bedrooms...I am family, right?

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 08:50:53 PM »
Great stuff guys! Man I'm jealous! Cook, you and Creek are lookin' good on those new boards! I may have to get you guys to clean out your spare bedrooms...I am family, right?
lol, thanx, Green! You'll hafta tent it in my back yard. My house is small! But hey, it's summer!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal