Author Topic: Returning to surf after heart attack  (Read 8815 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Returning to surf after heart attack
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 11:24:34 AM »
From reading the Zone lately I have modified my earlier opinion.  SUP is obviously lousy for your health.   :)

Life is lousy for your health.

Have you considered being younger than 35?  I am getting pretty interested in it. It seems like the people who are trying it are getting some great results.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »
Good that they got those stents in quick.  A number of friends have also had heart attacks recently but all are ok now.  The triglycerides to HDL ratio is a very important predictor of artery clogging so keep a close eye on that.  Also getting ECGs are important to help diagnose heart irregularities in the future.

"Elevation in the ratio of TG to HDL-c was the single most powerful predictor of extensive coronary heart disease among all the lipid variables examined."

It seems that low triglycerides and high HDL is the goal to shoot for.  So not only how much LDL - but the size of the LDL particles.  Small is bad -> big is good - or at least a lot better anyways.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2664115/?report=classic

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ekg/show

http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/test/ecg/overview.html
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 02:17:51 AM »
Wazza's heart attack was a big surprise to us all. I spent close to 15 years behind him in the steerers seat in an OC6 screaming at him in the one & two seat. We all played hard but Wazza was definitely one of the healthier boys in our later married years. If it can happen to him it can happen to any of us. The one positive that has come out it , it looks like Sup has been the one thing that scrapped/pushed him through. Even on an easy surf you are still pushing the body and without that I reckon I would be down a very close mate.
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 06:45:17 AM »
I also support the message that get a basic health check every year is essential. Sadly I didn't and was diagnosed with pretty advanced kidney disease about a year and a bit ago. No real excuses when I look back however difficult life made doing these basic things at the time. I do however take some solace from the fact that the active lifestyle I've lead and continue to try and lead has done me some good despite the position I'm in.

It's all lead to some pretty hefty but manageable life changes (diet mainly) but at least I'm still kitesurfing and hopefully now on the SUP's as well.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 09:17:51 AM »
It's an odd thing, but my racing addiction is probably the reason I'm still ticking and still playing hard. Both because it keeps me focused on health and performance (even though I could use a bit more focus when beer and a brat plate beckon) and because I have to get a full physical exam every year and a cardiac stress test every other year. There's also talk of requiring echocardiograms for racers over 70. I've had a couple, so far, so good.

Just because you don't have to doesn't mean you shouldn't. A physical every year is covered by most insurance.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »
Wazza66 hoping you have a speedy recovery process and get on the water sooner than later.

To piggyback on what Bill said, Routine annual physicians and preventive care is a ACA Federal requirement for almost all health insurance plans now (even payable at 100%) so no excuses not to get that check up, and speaking from family experience also get routine prostate and colonoscopy exams as well, as they save lives all the time.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Wazza66

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 02:51:15 AM »
Life has a habit of throwing us some curve balls indeed .

Thank you to all fellow zoners for you support and kind words following my recent event .

Paddling out at burleigh heads point the other day was the best rehab for me ever. Cracked a few nice ones and thanked the big fella for letting me stay around abit longer.

Must admit though there is always the element of doubt in the back of your mind that it might happen again. Your sub conscious voice is nasty.

However ticking all the boxes at cardio rehab so far.

Wazza

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 04:09:27 AM »
Excellent to hear your back at it Wazza, good luck with your rehab!

All these cardiac events happening this year have got my head spinning

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 04:32:29 AM »
Best of luck to you. Glad things went alright.

Now, Zoners, stop with the heart attacks, huh?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal