Author Topic: Do you SUP as your primary water sport?  (Read 8944 times)

beaner

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do you SUP as your primary water sport?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2015, 04:33:07 AM »
SUP the most, just because you can do it anywhere/anytime. Still love to windsurf, but getting the right conditions is pretty infrequent. Wakesurf a fair bit too... fun and very social. Everybody likes time out in the boat giving it a try at the cottage.

jordanzs

• Malibu Status
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jordanstallard
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 03:36:14 PM »
I'm about to shift SUPing to be my main "board" sport in the water.   Although shooting empty waves is probably my favorite thing to do now, and I look to do that before stand up paddling.

I've been a bodyboarder for 25 years, and I took up surfing about 10 years ago, and stand up paddling about 7 years ago.

I'm gone through back & neck pain issues, and I'm realizing that a lot of it comes from prone paddling.   The strain on my neck will paddling prone is very similar to sitting in the front row of a movie theater & looking up.   It's pretty much the same motion.

Stand Up Paddling solves that issue.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 05:03:54 PM »
Yup, I agree. I am little by little getting in better shape than I've been in years. It's nice to have that awesome surfed out feeling after a good session.

And regarding the question asked - I've been surfing since I was 11 but finally sold all my surfboards as sup surfing is my primary thing now. When I start traveling I'm going to pick up kite surfing too.

Nothing...repeat.....Nothing, does more for learning than the chop workout, natures sadistic treadmill. 45 minutes paddling into heavy winds and seas leaves me feeling like I spent a day at the gym.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 05:36:05 PM »
SUP is my primary sport,  period. I've always loved being in or on the water,  but never found a water sport that attracted me enough to put the time,  money,  and effort into doing it regularly.  I loved playing soccer,  liked skiing,  basketball,  and other recreational team sports,  and tolerated running or stationary rowing or cycling to stay in shape,  but eventually found them all to require more effort than they produced enjoyment.

SUP is completely the opposite for me.   From the first time I tried it,  I was hooked,  and I'm as excited for every weekend race in the summer as I was for my soccer games when I was a kid.    Surfing and downwinding on a sup are also a blast,  and even training paddles can be enjoyable.  I enjoy SUP surfing and downwinding enough to bundle up in  a wetsuit or drysuit in the frigid winter months,  and it even motivates me to stick to a weightlifting or other workout plan during the months when it's too dark to sup after work!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

BigGuy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
I've always played around water my entire life.  But for my "Adult" life my main sport is kiteboarding.  Have been riding since 2008.
This will be my first season SUPing.  I have still yet to pick out the board im going to buy. But that will be done by the weekend thanks to all the help I got from these forums.   =)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2015, 12:34:10 PM »
Good for you because if you live in an area with enough wind to kite (which I don't) then the best of all worlds would be to have a short surf sup, a big sup you can surf on tiny days and also flat water paddle, and a kite board.

I've always played around water my entire life.  But for my "Adult" life my main sport is kiteboarding.  Have been riding since 2008.
This will be my first season SUPing.  I have still yet to pick out the board im going to buy. But that will be done by the weekend thanks to all the help I got from these forums.   =)
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal