Author Topic: Do you SUP as your primary water sport?  (Read 8954 times)

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Do you SUP as your primary water sport?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 09:58:58 AM »
I was pretty big into sea kayaks - everything from distance paddling, surf zone fun, winter paddling, etc., but once I heard about SUP in the winter of 2010, I knew this would be my future water sport.  Bought a SUP in June 2010 and the addiction set in...  Ive been through a slew of boards; each one fun and different. 

I just recently bought a large tandem sit-on-top kayak so my wife and kids - ages 5 and 4 are able to join me.  My 5 yo will go on the SUP with me, mostly sitting, sometimes swimming, occasionally standing.  She'll be on a board of her own within a few years. 

So yes, SUP is my primary water sport and there are so many variations of the craft that it would be hard to not make it your primary.  It is interesting that you asked a bunch of SUP addicts to explain why we love it.  I get the sense that in short order you will be among our ranks.  Welcome!

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 01:49:07 PM »
SUP is definitely my favorite watersport but it is a PERFECT compliment to Windsurfing/Kitesurfing (windy condition) Surfing

Just my 2 cents
JimK
Extremewindsurfing.com

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 03:01:44 PM »
Since we live on the Delta waterways, between Sacramento and San Francisco, in Discovery Bay, flatwater is right off our dock.  Primary water sport is boat oriented.  I tournament slalom ski in the course two to three times a week.  We also wakesurf behind the boat and I have taken my race board out and we catch the wakes of the big 30+' cruiser boats, and ride them for miles.  I admit if I didn't live here it would be near the ocean and specifically where there would be surfing spots.  I paddle flatwater at least twice a week, mainly to prep for race events.  But for SUP, surfing is tops and I will go whenever a good swell is expected to hit. Mainly Santa Cruz, but we spend time in Maui and San Diego every year and my sons live in Ventura and Laguna Beach.  So we are at the waves a lot.  We will always have SUB's and prone boards with us.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 05:39:29 PM »
After years of kayaking SUP has been my primary for the past 4 years.  I still love to kayak and have started packrafting as well, but SUP is my main addiction for now
My journey to financial independence
https://accidentalfire.com
Just.  Get.  Out.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 08:46:08 PM »
It's pretty much my only watersport. I swim sometimes or snorkel or kayak, but that's a big sometimes.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 09:22:41 PM »
In theory I windsurf as well, but in practice I SUP--Downwind, surf, and flatwater. I also paddle OC6 in the early morning.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 02:32:47 PM »
SUP is my primary watersport.  Before that it was being towed by a great white shark on my wakeboard.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 02:39:41 PM by surf4food »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 02:40:53 PM »
Yes, SUP is my primary watersport, followed by 1 man outrigger.

Downwinding is my primary focus but SUP surfing has become pretty important as well. Lots of watersports have come and gone as primary over the years. They are all so good. The water is where it's at.

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 06:04:17 PM »
Former sea kayaker here.  Just sold both my sea kayaks.  Also former river kayaker.  Just sold both of them too.  Surf ski and SUP about 50/50.  Windsurfing is kind of a sport in retreat, at least around here.   Kiteboarding is big here but it's hard to learn, and wind-dependent. 

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 04:27:09 AM »
SUP, windsurf, multihull sailing.   The ultimate trifecta. 

I often am very thankful for having the skills and health to do all three.

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 05:27:46 AM »
Kiteboarding used to be my primary sport. SUP was my plan B.
Kiteboarding definitely requires you to take lessons before you even start. You'll need at least two kites and one or two boards to cover a good wind range. That is quite a bit of money you'll have to spend upfront. Here in New England (at least in CT) there aren't really too many windy days throughout the year.  The fact that I live about an hour away from the Long Island sound doesn't help either. If I get out 20 to 30 times a year I'll be happy.
Eventually I started looking for a sport for those windless days, so I started SUP after renting a board and trying it. With SUP you won't need initial lessons and one board will do the trick. For me SUP has become the main water sport and is definitely my favorite outdoor activity. If there is more than 15mph wind I'll be kiting everything less I'll be paddling. Kiteboarding isn't much fun below 15mph. That's the wind speed you'll need to get into jumping and doing tricks. Just going back and forth gets boring after a while. A word of caution though with SUPing. One board can quickly lead to five or six, and one paddle can lead to way more than you can even carry. This sport is really addictive  ;D

Rob
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 07:42:06 AM »
I probably sup more than any other sport currently. I fly fish a lot when there's water sometimes from a sup. I live right next to the Truckee river and on a normal water year I can just walk across street and sup.   Kitesurfing, rafting, almost never mnt bike(I just have one to trade for another paddle board on craigslist). Skiing is my primary frozen water sport. Mostly I just do dishes and wipe little butts(sometimes on a sup).

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 10:21:42 AM »
Surfing has been my primary water sport since I was a kid. Sup is the new board to surf.

I also windsurf and fish, but surfing has always been #1.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 01:43:36 PM »
Here's my matrix

No surf/wind over 12 knots: Sit home and gripe
Surf/wind over 12 knots: Sit home and gripe
Surf/No Wind: SUP surf
No Surf/No Wind: Sit home and gripe
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

nj_sup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 02:22:19 PM »
Besides fishing, SUP/SUS are my primary water sports. I still prone surf at times with my daughter, but SUP/SUS have far surpassed prone surfing for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mike
Fanatic 9'5" Allwave
Fanatic 9'10" Allwave
Fanatic 12' Ray Wood Edition
KeNalu Ho'oloa 95 paddle

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal