Author Topic: Do you SUP as your primary water sport?  (Read 8968 times)

JeffG

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Do you SUP as your primary water sport?
« on: June 29, 2015, 08:45:36 AM »
I've been thinking about getting into SUP.  I want to get into a water sport and have been trying to decide between windsurfing, kiteboarding and SUP.  I know they are very different and I have been weighing the pro's and con's of each.  Are there very many people who SUP as their primary water sport or is it usually a secondary sport?  If I spend a lot of time paddling on my local reservoirs would this skill transfer very easy to SUP surfing or paddling in the ocean when I am on vacation?  I also like to get into sports that give me a good workout.  Sounds like SUP gives a great core workout.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do you SUP as your primary water sport?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:03:58 AM »
primary water sport for me  but then again have surfed for 50 years
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 09:09:59 AM »
Primary sport after nearly 40 years of surfing, swimming, water polo, water skiing, etc...
Wife surfs with me, as do both adult kids.  Kind of a family thing now.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:21:11 AM »
Standup can be a standalone sport...or, it can be very complimentary to just about any other sport...especially, a wind sport like windsurfing or kiteboarding...

It is very easy to combine SUP with light air windsurfing...with a WindSUP...good fun with or without waves...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2015/04/hammer-windsup-2.html

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2015/02/hammer-windsup.html

All of your TOW (time on the water) on freshwater will transfer to the ocean...but, surf skills come from lots of practice...

Like the previous posters...I also come from 4 decades of surfing experience...but, we've seen plenty of people who have learned to surf waves on SUP's who did not come from a surfing background...a few have actually gotten to be quite proficient...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 09:22:12 AM »
SUP is primary because I can do it in a wider variety of conditions  than  windsurfing or kiting (which I don't do).  When kiting became popular here, the pitch was that you would get more days than windsurfing,  so if you  missed a day it wasn't such a big deal because there would be another soon.  I find that if  I  paddle in the morning I  am not antsy about getting on the water in the afternoon.  This could also be a symptom of TMB  (too many birthdays).

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 09:44:37 AM »
Honestly?  That fact that I got out on a SUP is a miracle.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

JeffG

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 09:49:08 AM »
SUPSports,
I forgot to mention that I do have some surfing experience so I wouldn't be totally new to that aspect.  I lived in Southern California for three years and did some surfing.  I was never great at it but I do have some experience.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 09:56:08 AM »
Hey Jeff:

Both windsurfing have a learning curve where you flounder around and can get frustrated and give up. SUP has none of that, it's so easy you can enjoy it from Day 1.  Also as mentioned, hardcore windsurfing and sailing requires very specific wind/direction conditions.. the lack thereof can steal your enthusiasm.  And lastly, SUP is an easy mistress.  You can get out for a 20min paddle and feel good about yourself, whereas w/ windsports you are still rigging your gear at the 20min mark.

If you have an interest in sailing, think about finding a SUP which has a mast insert; then you can buy a simple windSUP rig if the mood strikes.  WindSUP'ing isn't windsurfing (you aren't going to be zipping along at 20-30knots), but it's good fun nonetheless.  And IMO, windsurf/windsup is a great upper body workout.. very different than SUP and very satisfying afterwards.
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 09:57:35 AM »
Primary Sport for me, after years of windsurfing. When I first started SUP I just thought it was about paddling slowly cruising, but then discovered waves (SUS), racing and downwinding. That's the beauty of this sport, you can take these things into almost any water condition or body regardless of the weather, be it lake, ocean, canal, river, surf, rapids. As long as they don't freeze over or you freeze yourself you can do everything on a SUP..

Once I started SUP, I stopped going to the gym, and the physio almost completely, and paddling around 20km / 12.5miles+ a week I'm in the best shape I've been in 20 years..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 10:05:41 AM »
Aloha JeffG,
You are a perfect candidate for SUP then...we have lots of clients who surfed while they were growing up...then had to put their grown up pants on and move away from the coast...standup gives you a way to still be connected to the water, even with no waves involved...you will be able to capitalize better on surfing opportunities when you do take those wave hunting trips to the coast...

My suggestion would be to work on getting your kick, or pivot, turns down on both sides before taking a SUP into the waves...you'll be able to position yourself much better...wipe out less...and, get more respect from crawlers that you may be sharing waves with...smile a lot...stoke...don't be greedy...aloha...and, you'll get on just fine while having the time of your life...at first it feels like you are back surfing in junior high as a grom all over again...;-)

Mahalo
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 10:11:59 AM »
Honestly?  That fact that I got out on a SUP is a miracle.

Yep, Carl, there's more than one miracle out there on the water!  Keep up the good work!

10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 11:06:50 AM »
I guess it's become primary for me.  I wakesurf 1 to 2 days a week and sup 3 to 4 days a week.  I need 3 people to wakesurf and the season is shorter, so SUP has really upped my water time.  Try it, you'll like it.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 12:38:13 PM »
Yes:) I still prone surf, body board (with my kids), a body surf, but SUP 3 to 4 times a week. I alternate between sup surf and distance paddling. Yesterday would have been great for windsurfing though. If I had some newer sails and a mast, I could see getting back into that on those rare days that we have enough wind.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 07:48:04 PM »
Kiteboarding is my main sport, but again, it's all conditions dependent, that's why SUP is a perfect compliment to kiting.

Here's my matrix (pretty much covers everyday of the year):

No surf/wind over 12 knots: Kite/twintip
Surf/wind over 12 knots: Kite/surfboard
Surf/No Wind: SUP surf
No Surf/No Wind: SUP Flat water

The only day that I can't really do anything (or don't want too) is when there's no surf and the wind is like 8 to 10 knots. If there's surf I'd suffer through it, if not, I've got to be really itching to get wet to do flatwater in any sort of wind.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 07:13:03 AM »
This is ALL I do....I'll use APPST's matrix.

No surf/wind over 12 knots: DW or masochists chop workout
Surf/wind over 12 knots:DW, surf,  or masochists chop workout
Surf/No Wind: SUP surf
No Surf/No Wind: SUP Flat water

Nothing...repeat.....Nothing, does more for learning than the chop workout, natures sadistic treadmill. 45 minutes paddling into heavy winds and seas leaves me feeling like I spent a day at the gym.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal