Author Topic: KeNalu adjustable part?  (Read 3405 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
KeNalu adjustable part?
« on: June 28, 2015, 07:04:58 PM »
Last summer's paddle length experiment (cut, test, cut some more, retest) predictably resulted in a paddle that's just a little too short, especially for my new Konihi blade. I'd like to experiment some more, preferably with the option to go shorter and longer, so I'm thinking the KeNalu Adjustable Part is what I need next.

Could anyone who's used this provide some feedback for me?
  • Can it be used with my existing ergo-T handle, or do I need to also purchase an Extended ergo-T handle to use with it?
  • Is the adjustable part comfortable and reliable to use on an everyday race, surf, training paddle, or would you limit it to use in an extra loaner/backup paddle?
  • Once you dial in the right length with it, will you have enough shaft left to ditch the adjustable part and put a regular or extended ergo-T handle on directly?

Thanks!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: KeNalu adjustable part?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 05:49:11 AM »
i use the adj ergo t handles. they are great.
not sure why you want to "ditch the adjustable handle".
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 07:27:25 AM »
i use the adj ergo t handles. they are great.
not sure why you want to "ditch the adjustable handle".

Hi Eastbound,

I was thinking the adjustable handle might add extra weight, get in the way of a "top hand on the shaft" grip when choking up on the paddle, and add an additional potential failure point to the paddle, all of which could be avoided once I was done experimenting with length and settled on a good length for me with the Konihi blade.

Do you use a regular or extended ergo-t handle with your adjustable part? I currently only have a regular ergo-T handle and would need to order an extended one along with the adjustable part if it's required.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 07:43:13 AM »
http://kenalu.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=15

this i the item i use. it hotglues to the length you want it at and is rock solid til you reheat it, at which point it may be re-eadjusted. i dont ust the clamp or other products. this setup works great. you cut shaft to mid point of range you want to adjust to, then apply hot glue and slide handle in to desired length. i wrapp the joint with a few passes of electrical tape. works/feels great.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 08:29:35 AM »
Oh, cool! I didn't realize you could adjust the length of the paddle using just the extended ergo-T handle. That looks like a good solution for me, then.

Thanks!

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 10:52:33 AM »
You get the adjustable part to dial it in while paddling then just make the final hot-glue on mount when you know the length you want.  If you don't have the need to adjust the paddle length on the water just get the extended ergo T and heat and adjust per your requirements.  You can even cut the extended ergo T down to save even more weight if you don't need the full 10" of adjustment.  I would recommend leaving a minimum of about 4" of the extended ergo T in the shaft.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 12:41:09 PM »
Thanks, Capo. Sounds like the adjustable part might be useful so I can quickly compare different lengths, but it's good to know the extended ergo-T itself also has some off-water adjustability in case I change my stroke or blade in the future.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 09:16:46 PM »
Thanks, Capo. Sounds like the adjustable part might be useful so I can quickly compare different lengths, but it's good to know the extended ergo-T itself also has some off-water adjustability in case I change my stroke or blade in the future.

How capo described I think is the best benefit of the adjustable part & something that is overlooked by many. It really is a great way to dial in your length, then once you have it figured out you can take the adjustable part off & glue the handle in place. & yes, if you don't want the extra weight of the extra handle, you can cut it off.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 05:13:17 AM »
the weight of the extended handle is a few grams more than the regular handle--so why cut the shaft and "marry" the length with a non-adjustable handle?

why risk a bad marriage?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 07:48:15 AM »
I've never used the adjustable piece but I have extendable ergo T's on 3 shafts. I've often thought I should get the piece just so it would make changing lengths easier especially when I was experimenting a lot but it was never that big an issue so didn't bother. I would never cut the handle.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 12:25:39 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback, folks!

I just ordered the extended handle + adjustable part from JimK, which should give me the flexibility to easily dial in the right size, then glue the part directly until I need to make another change.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal