Author Topic: Shape3Dx tutorial and discussion  (Read 38400 times)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shape3Dx tutorial and discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 09:14:23 AM »
thanks
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 11:20:05 AM »
Very nice. I followed the tutorial with my copy of Shape3Dx. I actually feel fully capable of shaping a board this way. Well, except for the years of experience with how much of everything and where.
I know you'll have fun with it. Now I'm curious to see what the first Pono shape will be. You might as well open an account with your new friend 'the CNC guy'. Or better yet, build one.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 11:53:57 PM »
Dude, thanks for getting us rolling with this. I missed this when it hit... Sanding. In good news my mouse hand is now strong enough to take on Shape3D.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 12:39:12 PM »
Yeah, thanks TD. What you've done is a very cool thing. Comes at the perfect time for me. Thanks again!

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 05:36:49 PM »
This is great and thanks for taking the time post all of this, TallDude!  ;D

Can I create a board in the free version of Shape 3D using images like the ones below? If so, how difficult is that?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 06:17:38 PM »
Yes, thanks for taking the time in doing this. I couldn't figure out anything on this before. Couldn't find or at least sit through any kind of tutorial online I searched out. Now I just opened something up to start messing with.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 06:26:51 PM »
Check this.

http://www.shape3d.com/Warehouse/Default.aspx

Go pull a board that's close and start there. You can mock something up pretty quick I'm sure. There's a search down below and I saw several that were close.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 06:37:48 PM »
I've seen what's in the Warehouse but I really like the outline of that JP and I'm wondering if the rocker can be copied too.

Check this.

http://www.shape3d.com/Warehouse/Default.aspx

Go pull a board that's close and start there. You can mock something up pretty quick I'm sure. There's a search down below and I saw several that were close.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 10:11:23 PM »
This is great and thanks for taking the time post all of this, TallDude!  ;D

Can I create a board in the free version of Shape 3D using images like the ones below? If so, how difficult is that?

Thanks dudes! I'm glad it made sense to a few of you.

I can import a photo of a board into AutoCAD and trace it. Then I scale it. If it's a 9' x 30", I just keep increase or decrease the size of the photo till it is 9' x 30". I can then measure it completely and plug those numbers into Shape3D. You can do this with out AutoCAD by using a copier to enlarge it to 1"= 1'-0" scale, then measure it with a ruler. This will get you close to the rocker and shape. The subtleties of the bottom and rail shapes you'll have to figure out via first hand measuring or guessing from photos. Scaling a rocker photo is really shooting in the dark. The curvature of a camera lens usually makes the rocker appear more than it really is. The rocker is so wave specific, that I just use the numbers I know I want for my break.
It's not overhead to me!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 09:41:18 AM »
If you have the actual digital photos of the board (not screen caps) and access to Photoshop  you can correct for lens distortion (some free editors can do it also). Most digital files have all the data you need associated with them. If you list the properties you'll see camera make, model, exposure, focal length, lens, etc.. It's easy in Photoshop....just go to Filters then Lens Correction...it will automatically grab the data and allow a one click edit based on what it sees. Not sure just how well it would work for this but worth a try. There will be some distortion no matter what you do but it should get you pretty close. You could also then scale the photo and apply a grid to get all your measurements.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:49:32 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 12:57:34 PM »
Good job TD on the tutorial.

Is the load image function not avalable on the free vershion?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 01:18:51 PM »
You actually can. I just tried it. On the 'Superpose' (superimpose) Tab you can import an Image and a Ghost board. You can re-size and rotate the images too. I'l play around with it and add to the tutorial. Thanks' for the tip.
It's not overhead to me!

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 01:47:46 PM »
Yay! ;D

You actually can. I just tried it. On the 'Superpose' (superimpose) Tab you can import an Image and a Ghost board. You can re-size and rotate the images too. I'l play around with it and add to the tutorial. Thanks' for the tip.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2015, 02:04:45 PM »
Cool no worries load image is for using a picture load goast is for opening anouther file on top of the one you are working on so you can compare changes or sections ect. You can use the space bar to turn the image or gost on or off

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2015, 02:37:54 PM »
I'm using the free version on a Mac and the only way it seems that I can load an image is to open a .s3dx file first, and when I do, the image becomes superimposed on top of the .s3dx file I had to open. How do you create a new board design from an image?

Cool no worries load image is for using a picture load goast is for opening anouther file on top of the one you are working on so you can compare changes or sections ect. You can use the space bar to turn the image or gost on or off

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal