Author Topic: Why I dig the zone  (Read 7813 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Why I dig the zone
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 03:28:44 AM »
I like that I can discuss subjects that other people disagree with and have a respectful conversation.

I also love the geeking out on paddleboards.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 05:06:02 AM »
Miss std there is pretty funny.
I will try not to babble, and I won't say anything everyone doesn't know or hasn't been said but that might have been the original attraction to the staying power here, the humor, but I don't know. I don't know what my aversion is to facebook, but I have one, and I can't quite tell if cheat is completely serious (which is fine) or not but the feeling of spying or being spied upon might be it.
Mind blowing photos, killer videos, humor, wit, my views, other views, damn near anything you can think of, diets, food, critters, monsters, all things water, history, riding waves, and darn if I don't remember that magic eraser too. Just used one last week and again, as it did before, all spiffy tho not as clean as that pristine pad. I wonder if DJ would cringe as I dump a little bucket of worms out on my deck to sort through them. Yeah, people from all over the world too.....some whose days are getting longer now...
Probably not one particular reason but many.
I find this place pretty cool.
Trump.
 :D
(now that should make for some entertainment if nothing else)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 07:20:34 AM »
Major "like"

Humor, advise, aloha spirit, etc.  most importantly,  as a relative newbie it's been a great learn tool!

Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 07:37:33 AM »
I don't know what my aversion is to facebook, but I have one, and I can't quite tell if cheat is completely serious (which is fine) or not but the feeling of spying or being spied upon might be it.

At the core, Facebook is spying. Parents checking on their kids, employers checking on employees, spouses and lovers checking on each other. And FB's business model is big data--knowing as much about you as they can managed to grab (a lot) and selling that information, either directly or through advertisements.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 08:01:20 AM »
I just dig the Zone. Period. It's a great source of information, viewpoints and humor. Not just about SUP, but life in general. I've learnt more here in a year or so than I ever think I could learn from FB or any other "like" culture... So keep on posting'. Now for instance I know about car loans and kids.. who would have thought?
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 08:49:56 AM »
The quality of the people here and how they share and interact about SUP and other matters of common interests. 
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 09:26:13 AM »
We have our place.

Twitter:  Quantum entanglement - this is dope! #qubit
Facebook:  Long live the confederacy!  Scalia is latent. 
The Zone:  My review - Circle of Confusion by I.P. Standing

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 02:06:05 PM »
I agree. It's taken me from wobbling on my original cheap inflatable to surfing decent sized waves in CA and HI and building my own board.

Along the way I've met people from all over the world who share a common love of the water. Long may it wave.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 01:04:29 AM »
Doesn't look like too many FB fans here.  I have old surf friends and most interesting older surf photographers (most notably Tom Servais) showing their wares on FB so that makes it worthwhile to me.  One of my son's pals has been hanging down at G-Land and posting pics of off the chart waves.  It's so great to see the guys ripping it up and also see many of my old Australian mates from Newcastle whooping it up for a reunion of sorts.  I was invited but had to turn down because my grandson is here swim racing and setting records so it's nice to have vicarious thrills on FB.  So that's my defense of it. 

That being said one has to rip thru fast to find the gems.  As PBill says, you can unfriend people but some that post irritating crap also post good stuff as well.  I put up with some of my pals oddities more than PBill.  So I learn to skim fast before I burn up too much time.  Ultimately time on any website is time you're not using to work out or kiss your wife or SUP but online socializing is weaning me from watching TV which I grew up with... way worse IMO than online browsing.

In the old days you'd have pals over and they'd drink too much beer or smoke all your weed and you'd have to figure a way how to give'em the boot as the night wore on.  The internet at least solves that.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 04:39:30 AM »
I like Facebook, but it's a mixed bag. There's a fair amount of junk in my feed. I have an old friend — and ex-mobster and ex roommate — who never met a conspiracy theory he didn't like. I get posts from him on 9/11 conspiracies, food conspiracies, chem trails, the Rothchilds, etc. the weirdest part are all the people who chime in on my friend's posts and agree with them, some of them saying even weirder things!

Part of me wants to block him. Part of me is bizarrely fascinated with this underbelly of society.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 07:04:16 AM »
I find the bizarre/conspiracy posts on FB to be one of its primary entertainment values. I don't unfriend many people except for the truly obnoxious.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 11:19:21 AM »
. Part of me is bizarrely fascinated with this underbelly of society.

Perfect way to sum it up.  Same for me.  Ex-mobsters? right up my alley.  Great post.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 01:08:20 PM »
no interest in FB--seems a wasteful timesuck to me--my kids/wife want me to do instagram, which i see more potential with.

like the idea of snapchat, too.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supthecreek

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »
FB
I don't go for the "thousands of friends" routine

My friends must all be pretty nice, cuz I don't see any "underbelly" at all. Just kids, animals, sports, family.

It's a good way to find people or be found by old lost friends

Plus I see a LOT of SUP chatter from around the world, on my feed..... I don't post much.... just look and comment occasionally.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 02:28:20 PM »
There is a very useful FB variant in Santa Cruz called  "Nextdoor Mid East Side".  It has all kinds of on the ground info about Live Oak and environs where our house is located.  Crime reports, car and home break ins, merchant tips, animals loose, wildlife invasions, sales, contractor recommendations, homeless migration patterns, druggies running around, freebies to pick up.  That kind of thing seems to work out very well with a group  in a geographically close neighborhood.  You would never hear about the vast majority of this stuff in the local papers or from the police.  It also engages some activism to get the authorities to do their job where they would choose to ignore or sit on their duffs.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:31:08 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal