Author Topic: coos bay Oregon???  (Read 9493 times)

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
coos bay Oregon???
« on: June 27, 2015, 05:22:26 AM »
whats up with coos bay? i have chance to re locate there, just wondering how surf is and how sup scene is??

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
Re: coos bay Oregon???
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 06:19:21 AM »
When I lived in Seattle and surfed the Washington coast, we made ourselves feel safer about Great Whites by saying "could be worse…we could be in Coos bay".  Don't know if thats true or not, but had a reputation as very sharky.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 08:33:53 AM »
Beautiful place, tremendous for any water or outdoor-oriented person. I've never heard it described as being particularly sharky. Nice local culture, good restaurants, and a great bay to mess around in. Not far from the great coastal rivers for steelhead and salmon fishing, and the deer and elk hunting is fantastic in the coast range. The Oregon coast is one of most beautiful places I've ever been. If you're moving to take a job you've solved the biggest problem of living there.

I've surfed and windsurfed up and down that coast--there's thousands of empty or lightly populated breaks on the Oregon and northern California coast, but it takes local knowledge to get the most out of them. SUP is ideal for that cold water and the long-time local surfers are finally starting to understand that. Most of my old surfing friends that looked down their nose at SUP are enthusiastic converts these days. One of them even realized that SUPs are the best way to run crab traps. You don't have to drive to a launch point, then make your way along the coast to a good spot, then make your way back and drive home--you just paddle straight out, collect the keepers from the pot, rebait and toss it back.

Any waterman would be happy there. Easy access to everything that floats your boat. The water is cold, but I'm comfortable in summer in a spring suit on a SUP--or even boardies. On a surfboard it's 4/5 with a hood, booties and gloves. As I say, it's made for SUP.  The coast is surfed year round, and the winter is for the big stuff. If you really want to go nuts, Nelscott reef is straight out from Lincoln city

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 12:47:32 PM »
Another great thing about Coos Bay and the south coast is it's much less crowded than the central and north Oregon coast since it's father from Portland. Summer crowds on the north coast can test your patience on occasion.
It's also significantly warmer and windier the father South you go, which is great if you have any windsurfing or kite boarding aspirations.
JP

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 01:46:51 PM »
+1 on Pono,  The Oregon coast rocks for SUP , If you windsurf, kite, or fish then more power to you .  Coworker grew up in the town and went to high school there.  Good american small town and great to raise kids in if you are with family  .   His dad was/is runs the local pharmacy in town I think . 

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 11:28:15 AM »
Sounds great guys thanks, , I surf n.j so Oregon is actuLly warmer for me in winter.
How far is coos bay from mountains to snowboard? I used to work at mt hood every summer but only ever surfed  near linclon city. I'm also avid lifelong snowboarder and skateboarder both of which Oregon is  best in the world.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »
I used to love visiting that part of the coast. It's a long way from the mountains for skiing and a long way from PDX. Also, it's, in my opinion anyway, a real, old school working area of the PNW, good and bad. The tough times associated with cyclical, natural resourced based economies can definitely be found down in that part of the state. Logging, commercial and sport fishing and some tourism. It's not no hippie town like Portland or Ashland. Or, like some of the artsy-fartsy, touristy coast towns that dot the OR coast. It is rumoured to have some of the best health care infrastructure on the OR coast, with a relatively large hospital there. BTW, there is good winter recreation at Mt Ashland but it's a haul from the coast. CB is a GREAT jumping off place to other spectacular areas of southern Oregon. It's pretty authentic and if you love the outdoors and you're a waterman, it could be pretty awesome to live down there.

Before SUP, when my daughter was really little, we'd hit the CB area to surf several times a summer. Stayed in our camper, down at Bandon, which is a bit south of Coos. There is also great windsurfing available down there.

We used to surf at Bastendorff Beach and I have great memories of long-boarding there in small, clean conditions. Water temp was not bad, but of course you need at least a 3 mil if you're going to be proning. There is a HUGE seal rookery located just south of town, at Cape Arago. So, as for the 'not sharky', there is a big food source for whitey right there and although I never had any encounters while surfing there, I have heard it is very sharky for many years. Given the smorgasbord at the Cape, it would be good to pay attention to what's around you, just like any other place where the water is salty.

Coos Bay is one of the places we'd consider living if we ever moved back to the Northwest. It is one of my favorites on the coast, that's for sure. Be sure that you are realistic about dealing with extended dreariness though. Greyness is the default color of the sky.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 01:16:26 PM »
covesurfer pretty much nailed it...

I went to college a few hours south of there...surfed and windsurfed just about every surfable spot...my bros from college all settled in the Waldport...Newport...Lincoln City area...which is kind of the Carmel of the Oregon Coast...

Coos Bay is tied to the logging industry...and, as said previously, it is cyclical...it's a bit rough around the edges...but, if you look a little deeper you will see some charm...also fortuitously, several of our SUP clients in Coos Bay are doctors that work at the hospital covesurfer mentioned...

Shark attacks are very real on this coast...Winchester Bay about 30 minutes north is a known hangout...the south jetty there can get pretty good...but, spooky...we've been chased out...I'd much rather be on a standup than crawling around...;-)

Here's a vid clip of a typical Oregon Coast surf sesh...

https://youtu.be/7FevDERUg80
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:30:25 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
Oh, I can almost taste the ice cream headaches! Nice video, lots of familiar places in that! My wife and I got married in Newport, on a bluff, south of town, just above the ocean. Under a beautiful grey sky of course. Love the central OR coast and miss the fresh, cold water seafood. When my wife is in town, no crab is safe. And then there's the smoked and 'candied' salmon. Yum.

You scored on your surf WD, no-wind, pretty clean, consistent shoulder to head hi right - I seldom got anything that good and I drove a long way to get there. Sure love that coast, always will be one of my favorite places.

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 02:25:14 PM »
Dude!  Dune Buggies!!!
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 03:30:28 PM »
Dude!  Dune Buggies!!!

Sand boarding is world class...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 04:01:08 PM »
More Dune Buggies !!!
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 09:05:06 PM »
Oh, yeah, I forget to mention how wide the beaches are. I have (and had) a bunch of sandsurfers--basically longboard skateboards with wide tires and sails. Serious fun.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 11:34:56 AM »
Ok just bought ticket going out to cos bay last week of August to check it out, I've been to Portland and mt. Hood many times but never been down south.  My job has offic there so work is not a problem.  Looks like just what I'm looking for surf, and low taxes!

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 01:26:18 PM »
I wouldn't call the taxes low by any stretch. Property taxes in Oregon are high (some counties are MUCH worse than others) and income tax, if I remember correctly, is at least 10% state. Be sure to look at annual property taxes when scoping out homes.

What's nice is no sales tax, although the wisdom of doing without one is questionable, especially after living in a tourist town for years. Oregonians are pretty firmly anti-sales tax and it IS nice, especially when you have to purchase anything major; they make up for it on income tax and property tax and with unstable school budgets. Good luck in CB, hope it works out for you!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal