Author Topic: Savannah/Tybee/Cumberland  (Read 2759 times)

Riverpunk71

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Savannah/Tybee/Cumberland
« on: June 26, 2015, 03:38:29 PM »
Hi folks...I'm in the early stages of planning a trip down to the Georgia coast mid to late August. I was hoping to be pointed in the right direction to some sweet paddle spots. I am a beginner and will be traveling/paddling solo. Any and all tips are appreciated...rental houses,good eats,lodging(motel,B&B)...I prefer to support independant businesses but will go the other route if rates are good. Also looking for some awesome runs to just let loose and see some amazing scenery and interesting spots. Thanks in advance!

SupGa

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Savannah/Tybee/Cumberland
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 02:50:14 PM »
Try St Simons Island / Jekyll Island. 

At least three shops as of last November on the island and several tour companies. Most of the shops usually can provide rentals if needed but also recommend places to paddle. We were there over Thanksgiving, popped into Davis Love III's ( the golfer) Paddle & Putt Shop, and was almost immediately invited to join a group of the locals for a paddle and beer. Felt very welcomed as they were all in their early 30 late 20's while I'm early 60's. Really a great group of guys and gal's, was sorry that I couldn't take them up on the offer as we were heading back to Atlanta in the morning. 

Most of the shops as well as number of outfitters also offer paddling tours as well as Kayak tours. I believe that SSI SUP actually conducts night tours both on St Simons and over a Jekyll Island. We've paddle Kayaks a number of times through the marshes of St Simons and normally end the paddle by going out of the inlet at Goulds Point and finishing with a little surf into East Beach at the Coast Guard Station. Usually the waves are about knee high but can get to chest high on the sand banks at Goulds inlet on the south side of Sea Island. In most of the shops if you strike up a conversation they will be more than willing to offer / recommend places to paddle. Ocean Motion and Southeast Adventure Outfitters also offer rentals and tours. Ocean Motion on Beach Blvd usually have knowledgeable and helpful staff, while the in town location on Mallory Street is usually staffed by much younger employs selling sportswear.

Area not really built up. No High rise condos or hotels. The only hotel on the beach is the King & Prince that been there quite some time. My parents spent their honeymoon there back in the 40's while dad was on leave. I believe the only two chain hotels are the Hampton Inn and a Holiday Inn Express but both are in the interior of the island not near the beach or downtown area. We normally rent a house so not really sure about B&B. One place that does seem to get favorable reviews is the Village Inn and Pub. Just of Mallory Street (main Downtown area) and 4 blocks from the Mallory Street waterfront. Easy walking distance to several restaurants and bars.

Been spending the week of Thanksgiving on the island for the last 30 years. and never get tired of it.

Good luck hope you end up with a wonderful trip.

Riverpunk71

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Savannah/Tybee/Cumberland
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 02:20:47 PM »
Thanks a million!! Very helpful indeed!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard