Author Topic: A blend of old and new 7'2 x 26.6"  (Read 19503 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: A blend of old and new 7'2 x 26.6"
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2015, 02:05:11 AM »
Looking good. How'd you go on the vector net? I've put 4oz over it and got lots of air bubbles and fill-coating was a real chore.

Yes the vector net is not nice to hand lam. I found I had to make sure it was very well wet out and made sure I had the glass super tight round the rails to get all the air out, giving it one last squeegee just as the resin started to thicken slightly.It required a cheater coat and two hot coats to get it nice and smooth. Vac baging would be the way forward for it in the future  although I don't think I will buy any more once I have used what I have up

getcarter

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2015, 03:14:04 AM »
I hand lammed a board with Vnet and had almost no trapped air (outside the norm) when done. Basically, I did a sealer coat first (in epoxy), let that get tacky, layed the fabric down and then proceeded glassing..no real issues and on a board with serious hull contours !! (Rabbit's Foot)
I would say that the Vnet I have is pretty flat so maybe there are different grades. I'd agree Vnet is more suited to vac bagging but then I prefer that over hand lamming anyway.

Also you might try a good composites spray glue as I've found that works really well on channels etc.

Good luck.

GC

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2015, 06:41:40 AM »
I have above average balance, but am having trouble figuring out whether you've struck some secret formula for stability, whether you have your own definition of "stable" or whether there is sarcasm here that I'm missing.   

Peter

Haha! I love it! You mean The Shape Shack isn't where we also work on our poker face? I think Charlie also mentioned before that he's a cat on his feet.  I sometimes notice that when I'm doing well, especially on a choppier day, that while waiting on waves I'm in a sort of crouch like a cat ready to pounce while doing a sculling stroke. So yeah, that lower center of gravity along with a lower volume really works. But I would like to know about what your paddle to the outside is like, Charlie, because isn't your surf pretty short period choppy often?

I hand lammed a board with Vnet and had almost no trapped air (outside the norm) when done. Basically, I did a sealer coat first (in epoxy), let that get tacky, layed the fabric down and then proceeded glassing..no real issues and on a board with serious hull contours !! (Rabbit's Foot)
I would say that the Vnet I have is pretty flat so maybe there are different grades. I'd agree Vnet is more suited to vac bagging but then I prefer that over hand lamming anyway.

Also you might try a good composites spray glue as I've found that works really well on channels etc.

Good luck.

GC

Those are great tips, getcarter. Thanks for sharing!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 07:10:02 AM »
I have above average balance, but am having trouble figuring out whether you've struck some secret formula for stability, whether you have your own definition of "stable" or whether there is sarcasm here that I'm missing.   

Peter

Haha! I love it! You mean The Shape Shack isn't where we also work on our poker face? I think Charlie also mentioned before that he's a cat on his feet.  I sometimes notice that when I'm doing well, especially on a choppier day, that while waiting on waves I'm in a sort of crouch like a cat ready to pounce while doing a sculling stroke. So yeah, that lower center of gravity along with a lower volume really works. But I would like to know about what your paddle to the outside is like, Charlie, because isn't your surf pretty short period choppy often?

Good luck.

GC

I'm not one to exadurate ether way and a firm believer in no b/s. I wouldn't say i have ultra good balance but slowly working on it probably better than average though, generally I'm quite relaxed when out back and getting there is always standing unless its blowing 20knots on shore when sometimes i prone it.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2015, 09:25:09 AM »
Peter

Good luck.

GC

I'm not one to exadurate ether way and a firm believer in no b/s. I wouldn't say i have ultra good balance but slowly working on it probably better than average though, generally I'm quite relaxed when out back and getting there is always standing unless its blowing 20knots on shore when sometimes i prone it.
Well I'm just an average old git and I can tell you that I won't even bother trying Charlie's boards after being thoroughly humiliated on one MUCH larger than this a while back. When I said to Charlie that I couldn't even stand on it, he was as polite as he could be, but the mixture of disbelief and pity in his eyes was quite obvious. But it is completely true that he paddles happily away for hours on boards that I can't manage for more than 10 seconds, and even in godawful chop that most of you wouldn't even bother going out in. The difference in balance ability between people who are young enough, skilled enough, fit enough, and motivated enough to handle these sorts of weight/volume ratios, and sad old bastards like me is stark. But then again, even I often think that many production boards these days are unnecessarily voluminous for the average weight person - to the detriment of stability.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2015, 06:42:25 PM »
In relation to what Area 10 said that's why I find it even more remarkable that Charlie can ride such a short, narrow board with (relatively) seeming ease. I thought your conditions can often be difficult at best. And yeah, determination and applying yourself with diligence is definitely what it takes....and I'm still applying...and applying...and applying. Oh and did I mention I'm being diligent too. Well done you guys.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2015, 10:56:21 AM »
Well first surf in it and like we were saying 15-20mph on shore mush choppy as he'll with more kites than surfboards out but Made a dry hair first paddle out. Was pretty hard work but had a few good ones. Felt great though even faster and more lively than my old fish.more to come soon on this but so far it's all good

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2015, 02:53:31 PM »
I'm really digging the UK way. Having seen the boards and hearing the theory behind it I'm really going to give it a go.

I really feel the corkyness of higher volume boards and the "log roll"effect makes sense to me. Sinking a bit would slow your roll as the kids say.

Charlie, I'm formulating an idea for a step up board with that wide fish tail that I'll share with you as it gets out of my head and into a computer. I love this board you've made. I call it a Tishö (pronounced tissue, tomo fish) ;)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 03:59:12 PM »
Ok a little more to the end of the last story of this board I didn't mention last time and that was that when I tock it out for the first time I actually proposed to my girlfriend while out on the water, in between dodging a few set I gave her the ring I had made for her and she said yes. :)

I also got out on the board again today in some small but better conditions and I'm very happy with the board, it's just like my old fish just a little smaller,faster and more manovarble. It takes of very easy and paddles nice and stright. Stability was fine today and only lost balance two or three times surfing the rippy river mouth, I'm sure the fact the deck is bellow the water helps this. I will be defiantly building a few more sizes of this for my quiver soon.  Sorry no surfing pics just some lovey dovey ones lol
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:01:21 PM by supuk »

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2015, 04:50:52 PM »
Awwwwwwwwwww...Congrats Charlie! -J
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2015, 01:22:06 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!  ;D
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2015, 05:33:13 AM »
cheers many thanks, can't beat having a partner who likes to be out on the water as much as i do and sometimes even  more so, only problem being i now have to make twice as many boards.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2015, 07:50:28 AM »
"can't beat having a partner who likes to be out on the water as much as i do and sometimes even  more so,"
+1

Congratulations!
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 09:12:40 AM »
Grats Charlie! 

Those are some pretty artistic post proposal pictures.  I'd bet I'd see those on your wall at the 30th anniversary party.  My wife is trying to talk me into a Sayulita, Mexico trip for our 30th... We started surfing together and plan to end it the same way... May your marriage be filled with many adventures and glassy days.  :)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2015, 05:33:26 PM »
"It's all yours Charlie...."
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut