Author Topic: Noob Allwave sizing dilemma  (Read 7499 times)

supthecreek

Re: Noob Allwave sizing dilemma
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 10:07:48 AM »
The older version has a wider nose and slightly fuller rails... it will be more stable than the new model.

It will also paddle straighter... and be better in flat-water

I only owned the older 8'10... it is a really good board.

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 12:40:11 PM »
Hi Noo Noo,
I'm a similar height and weight as you and find that the 8'11 Allwave is a great board and stability is no problem. It handles choppy conditions well, is good for flat water paddles and fun in the waves!
Have you checked out the classified section on the supboarder website as there are 2 Allwaves for sale? One is a 2013 8'10 for £650 and the other is a 2014 8'11 for £600. Could be worth a look if they are close to where you live!
Happy hunting!

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 02:29:17 PM »
Sut mae SUPCymru?

The 2013 is the one I've just been speaking about although I did find it advertised elsewhere. Hoping to arrange a meet with the owner for it. A leap of faith has been made!

The other is a long long away sadly. Beyond London. yuck.

Sup-up

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 03:31:03 PM »
S'mae.
If you're on FBook theres a couple of 2nd hand SUP groups, one based in Wales.  Matt at the SUP Hut in Swansea is a really knowledgable friendly guy to deal with, despite it being a way away from you.
You're in a great area for doing some coastal exploring as well as surfing.  Don't be surprised if you find yourself out there paddling more than you thought you would. 

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 03:40:15 PM »
Da iawn, diolch! Mae'n braf gweld mwy o Gymry yma ar y Zone!
(Translation for anyone interested in learning Welsh: Very good thanks! It's good to see more Welsh folk on the Zone!)

Noo noo, it's good to hear that you've on the way to getting your new board-the 2013 board looks in great condition! Hope you manage to get it soon to enjoy this 'heatwave' (25°C)!!!

I agree, sup-up. I've met Matt a few times and he's a really good bloke.  I think that he sells new Allwaves too.

Pob hwyl!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 11:27:25 PM »
Cheers Foilman

Still doing lots of reading and thinking at this end. Basically weighing up options and trying to dig out as much information as possible.

That said I may have stumbled onto a 2013 8'10" for sale second hand not a million million miles away from me. It is actually the first Allwave of any size I've seen for sale second hand here in the UK.Rare as hens teeth as is any paddleboard of any worth to be honest. The market is that young here that the only boards available tend to be one's that people generally haven't got on with by the looks of things.

While I'm a little concerned that it may initially be a little small the background reading of late and this thread has certainly reduced those fears a bit.

go for the lower volume one,it will help improve stability in the chopy uk conditions all though at first it may take a fraction longer to get used to,there are normal a few all waves for sale on the Facebook used sup page uk.

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 03:00:08 AM »
Made a deal to meet the guy for the 2013 Allwave. If the condition is as the pictures suggest I should have my first board this weekend.  :D

It was actually the first Allwave I've seen on Facebook in both the England and Wales pages. it's been pretty sparse on there lately. No idea if it's always like that.

Time to go and get wet again  ;D

supthecreek

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 04:47:04 AM »
 :)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 05:05:40 AM »
love my AW 8'11" ltd

great in all conditions

pushed my learning curve way forward
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 06:36:38 AM »
love my AW 8'11" ltd

great in all conditions

pushed my learning curve way forward

I hope so Eastbound!

I see you have a 9'5" widepoint as well. How do you compare that with the Allwave? It was a board under consideration by me at one time as the more basic construction Starboard's are often lower priced than the Fanatics (depends on the model for some reason). By some margin in fact

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 09:33:08 AM »
Tough to compare, given ive not ridden the widepoint once since the AW arrived! The WP served me very well, but more beef than i need or want at this point. There was a super sloppy day a few months back where i regretted not paddling the WP, but migvht've been just as challenging given the slop.

My 8'11" is a 2015, but I think the board did not change in 15. They changed only the shorter AW's btwn 14 and 15.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal