Author Topic: Which KeNalu: Wiki vs Ho'ola vs Konihi?  (Read 30567 times)

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which KeNalu: Wiki vs Ho'ola vs Konihi?
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2015, 12:45:42 PM »
Thank you for your comments. Ordered a xtuf wiki 74 with xtuf shaft to surf with my new Sunova Speeed 8'5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2015, 05:21:59 AM »
if i am blissfully ignorant, so be it--but i love my konihi 84 in the surf
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2015, 06:56:21 AM »
I have that exact setup Viator. As the Aussies say - it works a treat in the surf! On my shortest board - 7'6" JP Slate, and my Huge 8'10" Angulo.

SUPJorge now has the giant Molokai blade I started with initially. What a maroon!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 06:59:05 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2015, 07:56:27 AM »
if i am blissfully ignorant, so be it--but i love my konihi 84 in the surf

It's the fastest blade I've ever paddled, I'm probably just too clumsy to like it in the surf.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2017, 03:54:45 AM »
Hey guys quick question about the Ke Nalu paddles. It seems like alot of you guys race or surf. I'm more into long distance exploring/fishing on all day excursions. We pack coolers and have snorkel/fishing gear on our boards. I'm 6'3" 245#s. I've had the same paddle for a few years now it's a Riviera carbon fiber "nothing  special". Can't remember the size but I think it was like 115-120 square inches... Which is huge compared to what you guys are using. I've really wanted to buy one of the Ke Nalu xtuf paddles but I'm just clueless as to what size I should get. Any suggestions? Thanks much.

Dave

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2017, 06:50:50 AM »
Hard to say precisely, it depends a lot on your stroke and whether or not you care to improve it. If you aren't surfing I'd get a Konihi blade, probably the 95. If you want to improve your stroke and you're doing the "push down before you pull" Johnny Puakea/Dave Kalama method, get the 82. I know it sounds too small. It's not. It's all I use these days for racing or cruising, and I'm 6'2", 235.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2017, 06:59:44 AM »
Hard to say precisely, it depends a lot on your stroke and whether or not you care to improve it. If you aren't surfing I'd get a Konihi blade, probably the 95. If you want to improve your stroke and you're doing the "push down before you pull" Johnny Puakea/Dave Kalama method, get the 82. I know it sounds too small. It's not. It's all I use these days for racing or cruising, and I'm 6'2", 235.

The 95 is the one I've been mostly looking at. My wife has a 85 and it just feels to small when I've tried it out.

Dave

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »
You have to set the catch to really use that size. Since your wife has one it's easy to try this. Reach way out, concentrate on pushing down with your upper hand and don't start pulling until the blade is completely buried. Continue pushing down with your upper hand as you pull. When I do that the 82 feels like it's stuck in mud and the 95 is stuck in concrete--too much.

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2017, 07:51:41 AM »
You have to set the catch to really use that size. Since your wife has one it's easy to try this. Reach way out, concentrate on pushing down with your upper hand and don't start pulling until the blade is completely buried. Continue pushing down with your upper hand as you pull. When I do that the 82 feels like it's stuck in mud and the 95 is stuck in concrete--too much.
But coming from my current huge paddle don't you think the 95 might be right in the middle? That's exactly how I try to paddle when we're moving along good, obviously not when we're just cruising the mangroves.....

Dave

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2017, 08:26:16 AM »
If you make setting the blade a practice, there's no reason to paddle any other way. I do it now even for casual paddling and for surfing.  Bigger blades work better when the catch isn't set because even though they're working inefficiently, they still have enough surface area to move you. But you are doing a lot more work to gain that movement. the blade slipping through the water costs YOU energy.

But sure, the 95 is fine. I used one for a long time and liked it best--until I started concentrating on an efficient stroke. Then it's too big. I thought blade size was all about cadence, but it isn't. It's catch.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2017, 08:34:05 AM »
I thought blade size was all about cadence, but it isn't. It's catch.
And I find that bringing the paddle back for recovery is so much easier with the Mana 82 than the Mana 90. I had not noticed until I made a conscious effort to slow down the pull in the water and fasten the recovery to the next stroke. (Disclaimer I am a puny 165 lbs so somewhat size and weight of the paddle seems to make more difference than before).
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2017, 08:52:26 AM »
I thought blade size was all about cadence, but it isn't. It's catch.
And I find that bringing the paddle back for recovery is so much easier with the Mana 82 than the Mana 90. I had not noticed until I made a conscious effort to slow down the pull in the water and fasten the recovery to the next stroke. (Disclaimer I am a puny 165 lbs so somewhat size and weight of the paddle seems to make more difference than before).
Ok so since you brought that up how much does height, weight, and strength play into paddle choice?

Dave

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2017, 09:04:28 AM »
Very little, once you start improving technique. Dave Kalama is as strong as a bull, and Quickblade made a special paddle for him, the Kalama Big Mamma. But since he changed his technique he's using a tiny blade.

Devin Blish comes up to about my chest and weighs about as much as one of my legs. She paddles the biggest blade Ke Nalu makes--a Molokai--and she's fast as hell in downwinders and surfing. She sucks at flatwater. I think it's technique. If she had the time or desire to develop flatwater paddling technique I think she'd be one of the fastest in the world, and I suspect her blade size would get small, fast.  But she doesn't. So she's happy with a big blade.

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2017, 09:10:25 AM »
Very little, once you start improving technique. Dave Kalama is as strong as a bull, and Quickblade made a special paddle for him, the Kalama Big Mamma. But since he changed his technique he's using a tiny blade.

Devin Blish comes up to about my chest and weighs about as much as one of my legs. She paddles the biggest blade Ke Nalu makes--a Molokai--and she's fast as hell in downwinders and surfing. She sucks at flatwater. I think it's technique. If she had the time or desire to develop flatwater paddling technique I think she'd be one of the fastest in the world, and I suspect her blade size would get small, fast.  But she doesn't. So she's happy with a big blade.
Interesting..... Really is all about technique....

Dave

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2017, 09:43:06 AM »
   Everyone I've talked to is skeptical when I tell them about my experience with downsizing the blade. Probably mostly a macho thing. "82? That's what my wife uses." Not everyone would benefit but I think most would be surprised. This came up last weekend at the Larry Cain clinic. One of the guys who was a bit older asked about paddle size. Larry was using  a 90 QB and while his answer was a pretty diplomatic and truthful "it depends" he did hint that the guys 110 sq/in paddle was probably too big.

As a side note just watching Larry take two strokes to demonstrate a technique was amazing. His board just rockets off.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard