Author Topic: 2 teenagers bitten in  (Read 5174 times)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
2 teenagers bitten in
« on: June 15, 2015, 04:10:38 PM »

Two Teens Mauled in Separate Shark Attacks at North ...
abcnews.go.com/US/teens-mauled-separate-shark-attacks-north...
Jun 14, 2015 · Two Teens Mauled in Separate Shark Attacks at North ... where a 13-year-old girl was bitten by a shark on Thursday. The teen suffered lacerations on ...

saw this I bet they were bull sharks
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2 teenagers bitten in
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 05:29:35 PM »
The first attacks off Oak Island that anyone can remember.  It must have been the same shark.....
I will not swim near piers.

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 05:43:51 PM »
Been going to OKI for nearly two decades and never once saw anything more than a ray. My cousin lives in wilmington and has surfed for the past 25 years and has seen his share of sharks near the area beaches, but never anything more than that.

The water in the OKI area isn't very clear - lots of sediment from the cape fear river - and combine that with a growing number of tourists and swimming near a fishing pier and it was only a matter of time...

Of course, the news cycle has picked this up and they're churning out all kinds of sensationalist fear-mongering bullshit. 

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 06:03:06 PM »
News report stated that there was shark fishing and chumming occuring off the nearby peir, so I wouldn't be surprised something sooner or later might happen?
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

JakeSupNC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 06:08:34 PM »
I moved to Wilmington about a year and a half ago. So far, all I have heard about are semi-minor bites around Masonboro and Topsail Islands (I say semi-minor because I'm not the one that got bit). I haven't seen any shark of worrisome size yet but I did get to paddle near a pretty dang big whale by the Carolina Beach pier last October.

Being far from an expert in really anything.....still sounds like a bull shark to me.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 06:39:21 PM »
Of course, the news cycle has picked this up and they're churning out all kinds of sensationalist fear-mongering bullshit. 

I hope my very elderly mother doesn't see that one.  If she does, that's all I'll hear about for the next month.  Doesn't matter which coast it's on.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 06:14:08 AM »
I moved to Wilmington about a year and a half ago. So far, all I have heard about are semi-minor bites around Masonboro and Topsail Islands (I say semi-minor because I'm not the one that got bit). I haven't seen any shark of worrisome size yet but I did get to paddle near a pretty dang big whale by the Carolina Beach pier last October.

Being far from an expert in really anything.....still sounds like a bull shark to me.

Hi Jake-----welcome to the forum!  I'm glad to see another NC rep on here.  Curious.....what kind of whale did you see?  I don't hear of many sightings on our NC coast.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 06:23:22 AM »
I don't worry so much about sharks for myself, but this story has me a little freaked out for my kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

JakeSupNC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 06:31:58 AM »
Thanks Spirit! I was actually on here when I lived in Texas, changed screen name when I got out here but haven't really posted much.

I believe they said it was a Right whale. From what I was told it isn't terribly uncommon to see them around that time of year. Supposedly there are a ton of huge Manta Rays around then too but I haven't seen one.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 11:52:09 AM »
I  Know that along that coast  easter seaboard north carolina and south carolina there  have been several incidents I recall  a few years back about a reman couple wading in waist deep water parallel to the shore  and  both were bitten > I  know 1 died  not sure about other.  The thing is it seems like these things are happening in cloudy or murky water an near shore makes me  think of Bull Sharks.  I don't think that it would be  the same  if you were surfing .   and a bit further out. I have not heard of any encounters between bull sharks and standup boards.   
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

JakeSupNC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 12:45:02 PM »
I've seen a bunch on that one, it was near Hatteras. I think they blamed that on a tiger but I hear you on bulls....they scare me to death.

Here is a video a friend of mine shot spearfishing off of Wilmington awhile back.       

I haven't heard of any stand ups running into anything around here, either, but I mind gamed myself into thinking that I was going to be the first yesterday. Complete and total BS on my part but was ready to get all paddle samurai anyway  :o

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 04:28:31 PM »
I'm in Morehead City and paddle the downtown area and Sugarloaf Island a lot. All the charter boats clean fish in their downtown boat slips and then throw remains in the water. Guys who work on these boats then sit on the back and shark fish. I do see a lot of large sharks around as I paddle and the town police boat was warning everyone last year that a 8ft. bullshark had taken up residency right on the end of the island. These attacks at Oak Island played with my mind and kept me from paddling on a nice calm Monday morning. Now I figure I've been doing it for over 7 yrs. with no problems so what the heck,might as well paddle.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 06:14:29 PM »
I'm in Morehead City and paddle the downtown area and Sugarloaf Island a lot. All the charter boats clean fish in their downtown boat slips and then throw remains in the water. Guys who work on these boats then sit on the back and shark fish. I do see a lot of large sharks around as I paddle and the town police boat was warning everyone last year that a 8ft. bullshark had taken up residency right on the end of the island. These attacks at Oak Island played with my mind and kept me from paddling on a nice calm Monday morning. Now I figure I've been doing it for over 7 yrs. with no problems so what the heck,might as well paddle.

Was/is the bull shark on the Morehead City end or the Emerald Isle end?

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 05:54:01 AM »
Morehead City end of island but there are plenty of bullsharks here to go around ;)
 Lots of arial photos taken showing large groups of bulls all around here for years. Taylors Creek in downtown Beaufort has more than it's fair share of them too. I've not heard of ant attacks of paddleboarders around here...yet. Don't fool yourself though,if youre paddling anywhere from SOBX to OBX youre paddling with sharks.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill