Author Topic: 3 months/ 28 lbs down and wearing size 32 regular fit jeans again  (Read 4827 times)

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Its was 1994 when I last fit in size 32 jeans.  I know there are a lot of ways to drop weight and change your eating habits.  Many of you have your opinions and follow certain nutrition regiments.  I thought I would share what worked for me.  I am 54 and in February weighed 203 lbs, at 5'10".  Background is water oriented athlete.  Over the prior 10 years I floated between 190 and 210 lbs.  The 190 came when I trained for and ran a marathon 3 years ago.  I never changed my poor eating habits during that 5 months of training. 

So, in February, I was at my gym and ran into my running coach that got me through the marathon.  He saw that I was back up in weight and really got on me.  They were pushing a new diet that promoted losing 20 lbs in 30 days.  I went to a meeting and decided to go for it.  I thought I could do anything for 30 days.  So I came home and told my wife what I was about to do.  She was pissed, but after talking about, she jumped on board and we decided to really commit to it.  The diet restricted us to under 750 cals a day, along with a very restrictive diet.  Two servings of fruit and vegetables and two servings of 4 ozs of lean meat.  And of course drink a gallon of water each day.  After 8 days two breadsticks were added and after 14 days 1 egg and 2 egg whites were added.  We used a scale to keep track of calories and ate the type of food we should have been eating.  Just not very much of it.  We were taking supplements and met with nutritionist from the gym twice a week.  Measurements and body fat tests along with daily weighing were taken and progress was tracked. 

So after 30 days, I lost 20lbs, just like the gym said.  My wife lost 18.  I also lost 21" over my body and 4" in the mid section.  Body fat went from 28% to 23%.  We did go surfing a couple times during the diet and I usually can go out for 3-4 hours, but after 1.5 hours I was dead.  It wasn't easy changing so drastically, and there were times when I almost went into to the In n Out Burger drive through.

Its been 3 months since the 30 day diet ended.  My wife and I have both lost additional weight.  I am down a total of 28 lbs and my wife is down 24lbs.  My body fat is down to 19% and needless to say, we aren't wearing any of the clothes we once wore.  We continue to eat the same foods, just a lot more of them and at times we cheat like we used to.  Alcohol is not a daily beverage, like it once was, and I have not had any kind of soda in 4 months.   We do enjoy an In n Out burger every once in awhile.  Just no bread, and of course we drink a lot of water every day. 

We do work out now and the benefit of losing weight, eating right, along with strength training and cardio work, has made an incredible difference in sports.  I haven't tournament water skied 28'off in over 10 years.  Just skied my first 28'off pass this year, and got 4 balls at 32'off.  As for stand up, my training paddles on my 14' Bark get faster every week.  Now 10 mile flatwater training runs, averaging 5.2 mph are the norm.  I bought a 6'2" shortboard and I am having fun in beach breaks again, with my boys.  My 8'10" x 31" (126ltrs) Kings Sidewinder is too big now and my 8'6" x 29" (110 ltr) Kings, that was difficult to stand on, is easier now. 

There are foods and drinks I miss, but not enough to go back to 203 lbs, size XL t shirts and size 34 loose fit jeans.  So there it is.  The 30 day diet may not be the best way to lose weight, but it has worked for my wife and I, and gotten us on the right track.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 3 months/ 28 lbs down and wearing size 32 regular fit jeans again
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 10:30:35 AM »
Great story Disco,
750 calories a day is pretty restrictive indeed.  I've probably had 300 already today.
Banana at 5 am
Omelette at 7 am
Apple at 9 am

I'd guess I'm closer to 1500 but I'm not counting.  I just eat foods that won't screw my heart up, and less of them overall. Sub 200 seems a bit ambitious for me. I haven't been there since high school, and my playing weight in college was 205 to 210 lbs.  It's far more likely for our family to get cast as a power forward than a jockey.   

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 10:36:39 AM »
Congratulations, Kurt, on the diet epic. I know I would feel best between 190 and 200, but if I got there, it probably wouldn't be for long, since my body seems stubbornly stuck north of 200.  I just don't want to suffer that much.

I can wear size 34 pants now with my SUP weight loss, but never remember being below 33.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 03:47:33 PM »
Congrats! I need someone to sew my mouth shut.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 05:04:44 PM »
supdisco
You know (hopefully) that was the easy part :)
Call us back in 6 mo or a year and, hopefully,  you'll be on the same road.
FWI'sW you both have my ongoing positive vibe...

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 10:39:17 PM »
Slatch,  Lots of apples and no cheese on the omelette. Weight loss is relative.  When I was playing college water polo I was 172lbs.  Keep eating good foods.

Karl, you are pretty tall and under 190 you might look too skinny.

Stoneaxe, I have my days where there isn't anyone to keep it shut. So it might take a couple of days to pay for the slide.

Sterbo, thats part of why I waited 3 months to report.  During the 30 I had a lot of friends that hoped we could keep it off.  What helps is that all the kids are now out of the house and my wife and I keep tabs on each other.  Don't know if I could have done it without her doing it too!
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 04:41:15 AM »
disco.... I frickin' LOVE this stuff..... good on ya!

Nothing better than when the light goes on and stays on.

I was very glad to see you doing it together, because it keeps the flow positive and mutual.
Nothings ever easy.... but company helps.

I experiment with work-arounds for things I miss, till I find a great substitute.

Example when I want something sweet:
I mix up fresh blueberries, a banana, some walnut bits and a sprinkle of blue cheese crumble or goat cheese
It satisfies my urge for something creamy, sweet and crunchy......and I don't do it often enough to become dependent on it.

Primal has great guidelines that I live by, but I can still gain, so I am continually experimenting on new combos that interest me. It's a process.

Keep up the stoke.... new, smaller boards, are awesome motivators.
My new Sunova scared me into losing 25 lbs, in the month after I ordered it.... I was afraid. Truly afraid..... so I was on a mission ;D ;D ;D

Enjoy the new you's!

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 05:09:46 AM »
Awesome story and congrats! I hope not all of your budget is spent on smaller clothes and some is leftover for small boards. ;)

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 06:28:07 AM »
Awesome story and congrats! I hope not all of your budget is spent on smaller clothes and some is leftover for small boards. ;)

No problem there.  We are spending a month on Maui in November, so I am waiting until then to get on the Jimmy Lewis super tech and the smallest world wide.  Depending on how things go, my other option is to have Dave Daum build another custom in the 113 ltr range. My preference is a traditional small board shape. My wife is on an 8'5" pocket rocket and she is fine with that.  She is not an aggressive surfer, so she is fine with 130ltrs and stability. I want the board to react like my shortboard.  I still want to be able to be out for 2-3 hours sessions though.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 10:36:33 AM »
Good job.

Super low cals can work great depending on how much bodyfat you carry. The leaner you get you start worrying about muscle loss if your cals and especially protein are too low. People that criticize these super low cal programs need to realize that they're temporary and won't do long range harm. Using a food scale is CRITICAL when doing these programs. They work and work well if you have the willpower.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal