Author Topic: Longboard vs Longboard SUP  (Read 14446 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Longboard vs Longboard SUP
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 08:00:34 PM »
So, I've gotten out on a beater longboard in less than ideal conditions. Here's my pros and cons so far (I'm leaning towards sticking with a SUP only):

Pros:
Longboard works different muscles, good workout.
Longboard feels a bit more smooth if that makes sense, feels like you are gliding more than muscling the SUP around. I'm guessing it's because of the lower volume, I may opt for a skinnier, lower volume SUP.
Easier to deal with in wind

Cons:
The obvious is that  SUP is more maneuverable, quicker, and easier to move around than a longboard for the most part. More waves, etc.

Getting out through whitewater/surf is a lot easier now that I know what I'm doing on a SUP, mostly due to the power in the paddle and being able to bounce over the waves when standing up.

Definitely agree with everyone regarding wave count/tiredness. I'm in pretty good shape, 34 years old, and regularly SUP and kite for 2 to 3 hours a session, 3 to 5 times a week (lately a lot more). Riding a longboard again wore me out in a hour, this was somewhat because of windchop conditions, but still.

Conclusion so far: It's really going to probably come down to practical matters, the fact that I don't want to waste decent surf learning to longboard well again. If I spend a year learning to longboard proficiently again, I will then lose a year of becoming a better SUP rider. I'd rather get good on a SUP then work towards mediocrity on a longboard.

I could change my mind if the right deal comes along either way, but for now, I'm going to stick with my 9'2" Allwave, maybe try some different fins from JimK to practice some noseriding when it's smaller, and see how that goes. 
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal