Author Topic: Longboard vs Longboard SUP  (Read 14455 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Longboard vs Longboard SUP
« on: June 09, 2015, 11:43:13 AM »
I'm trying to decide what would I benefit more from, a traditional longboard or a longboard SUP. I have a Fanatic Allwave 9'2" that I love, but I want something I can walk up the nose on small days.

Just to preface this, I'm in the water a lot already, I kiteboard when it's windy, SUP when there's waves, and do some flatwater SUP when neither is the case. I used to longboard a bit way back in the day (15 years ago) and was never that great, nowhere close to as good as I am now on a SUP. I'm thinking that all of the advantages go to riding a longboard SUP because I don't have another learning curve of getting used to prone paddling, getting up, etc. and I get the advantages that come with being on a SUP.

Any thoughts from anyone that has a similar scenario?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Longboard vs Longboard SUP
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 12:16:29 PM »
Your experience may differ, but I figure: Why start all over again if you're enjoying SUS? Stand-up is way more fun, and you can do just about anything on a SUP as you can on a longboard. I have a SUP buddy who went out with me one good day, but he rode his prone longboard because he felt he'd neglected it for too long. Pretty soon though he was grumbling at his decision because I caught four times as many waves -- even though I was urging him into everything -- and rode twice as far. That was the last time he's been on it.

And just this Sunday it was weak but pretty, only knee-to-waist, and over an hour and a half I got 50-some waves (longboard style) on my SUP; the only other surfer in the water, a good longboarder, got maybe a half-dozen, and struggled to do more than just kind of stand there.

All that goes out the window, though, when you're talking about a really good, classic longboard stylist ... there's nothing I'd rather watch than that. But for the 98 percent of the rest of us? Why mess with a good thing?
My 5 cents ...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 12:30:01 PM »
I rotate in longboarding for fun and fitness. There's a lot to be learned by putting down the paddle from time to time. I love SUP but variety is the spice of life.

vertseven

• Malibu Status
    • AOL Instant Messenger - vertseven
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vertseven
    • View Profile
    • I Can't Fish
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 12:56:31 PM »
When it comes to boards (or bikes) the rule of thumb is n+1.

As for when to ride what:
Flat: race SUP
1'-2': LB/Fish
2'-4': Fish/SB
3'+: SUP surf
Overhead glass: SUP surf
Overhead chop: SB
Messy wind-chop: Downwind

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 01:12:33 PM »
The only longboard SUP I have found yet, that was worth a salt, is my 10'6 Alana (Nalu)... love it.

It's big and a bit heavy, but it surfs like a really good longboard.  If you get the Nalu GT, it will be much lighter than mine.
Carves great, or does nice swoopy short turns on the shoulder.... noserides pretty well but not a tip rider.

They will have the new 10' Nalu out around here in August.... but it will be pretty narrow.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 01:33:10 PM »
Your experience may differ, but I figure: Why start all over again if you're enjoying SUS? Stand-up is way more fun, and you can do just about anything on a SUP as you can on a longboard. I have a SUP buddy who went out with me one good day, but he rode his prone longboard because he felt he'd neglected it for too long. Pretty soon though he was grumbling at his decision because I caught four times as many waves -- even though I was urging him into everything -- and rode twice as far. That was the last time he's been on it.

And just this Sunday it was weak but pretty, only knee-to-waist, and over an hour and a half I got 50-some waves (longboard style) on my SUP; the only other surfer in the water, a good longboarder, got maybe a half-dozen, and struggled to do more than just kind of stand there.

All that goes out the window, though, when you're talking about a really good, classic longboard stylist ... there's nothing I'd rather watch than that. But for the 98 percent of the rest of us? Why mess with a good thing?
My 5 cents ...

+1
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 03:24:56 PM »
Last Sunday I took my 10' log (Ukulele Drifter) and my AllWave to the beach. Short period beach break, with some size on the outside. Maybe shoulder high.

I did a session where I SUP for 2 hours, and then longboarded for 2 more. I can compare and contrast a bit, although I don't have a longboard style SUP.

1. Getting outside (if you surf somewhere with a channel or point break then this can be ignored). SUP is much easier. Sunday we had our usual pounding beach break. Standing up you can see the rips, and move to them quicker. Laying down you have to be a much better water-reader and just suffer for 15 minutes or so to get out the back (at least last weekend).

2. The ride. Sure there are some SUPs that behave like longboards, but the swoopy, hands free, pose and grin rides you get on LBs are pretty fun. After SUP for 2 hours prior to taking out my log I got my first wave and tried to manhandle the log like a SUP and it didn't respond. I feel like the ride on a LB is a great sensation, no idea about how LB sup works. I have got to the nose of my SUP plenty of times, the ride doesn't feel the same with all the volume behind you. It feels "forced" if that makes sense, whereas the LB feels smooth.

3. Catching waves. Surely there is an advantage with the SU, you muscle into almost any wave with a paddle. However, a longboard in the right hands can catch waves pretty far out. A 1/4 (Lb/SUP) wave ratio is what I got last weekend. The difference is the time it takes to get lined back up. You can get a SUP back out so quick. In some cases I would cruise over a shoulder and see another peak right behind me, just turn around and catch another. The reason being I didn't have to worry too much about getting inside too far. With the LB I am looking for the shoulder and escape route on my first line.

4. Fitness. Prone surfing requires you to be in better shape. I'm not talking about strength, just mobility, cardio  and flexibility.

5. Fun. SUP lets you stand up and see what is going on and you get to catch a bunch of waves. The feeling of sliding along on an LB is such a cool sensation. I give the edge to SUP, because you can get those gliding moments, and you just get so many opportunities.

6. Locations. On a SUP you usually end up taking a secondary or tertiary break, but you make up for it in wave count. On your prone board, go where you want.

7. Style. Even the pro SUP guys can't make a SUP ride look good like a smooth LB rider can. It is just a visually cool looking sport. Even granny's on the beach comment on the longboard rider who can style out.

Great topic. I started a similar one a few weeks back.
Also, I bet you can get to the nose on your AW. Add a bigger center fin and just walk up there.
Make paddleboarding great again!

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 03:41:16 PM »
Great comp SUPleave!

I totally relate to the "hands" part....  hand, arm flair is a great part of longboard style. On SUP, I haven't found a suitable answer with the paddle.

Lb is absolutely the best surfing to watch.... crazy how good some people are!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 04:43:33 PM »
I just don't have the fun on my longboard that I do on my SUP. I also don't like laying on my belly to paddle anymore.  I can still pop up fine, but prone paddling hurts my ribs and I hate not being able to see the waves as well.  Plus, waiting for waves is boring on a prone board.  On a SUP, you can still paddle around and work on technique. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 04:48:04 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 04:59:06 PM »
I think prone surfing is easier. When the waves gets anything bigger than 3 feet, SUP is a nightmare for me. Too much things to handle.

Both has pros and cons, it all depends on a person.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 05:17:48 PM »
I just don't have the fun on my longboard that I do on my SUP. I also don't like laying on my belly to paddle anymore.  I can still pop up fine, but prone paddling hurts my ribs and I hate not being able to see the waves as well.  Plus, waiting for waves is boring on a prone board.  On a SUP, you can still paddle around and work on technique.

I have this problem too. Far as getting to the nose on an Allwave, I can do it, and sometimes it's kinda fun, but I'm looking for a board to take on those small, clean days where that's all I want to do.

All in all, these are good discussions, I'm still pretty torn. It's really deciding between learning/re-learning to ride a longboard versus wasting water time doing so. I'm going to maybe demo some longboards just to see if it feels right again. I'm going to demo a 10'0" Slater Trout for a longboard SUP later this week hopefully too.

7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 05:25:02 PM »
I totally relate to the "hands" part....  hand, arm flair is a great part of longboard style. On SUP, I haven't found a suitable answer with the paddle.

... and for sure no more snaker!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:26:48 PM by RATbeachrider »

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 05:33:11 PM »
I feel that both, LB and SUP, have their space on the complete longboard style surfer's quiver, balancing pros and cons of each, enhancing the experience.

I'll add my personal few cents.

My SUP is a longboard type. (After demo'ing so many different SUPs)10' x 29.75", it seems to qualify as a "High Performance" board, due to it's rocker and concave bottoms. Still searching for the elusive classic Takayama 10 footer SUP though.....

Back to the theme, my SUP eases the trip to the outer reefs, a mile or so offshore, on those glassy days, with a crew of great peers. (Among all the cited advantages) I can walk it, back and forth, surf it on parallel stance, even run a big D-fin on it, and let it flow. Or 2+1, to execute some clean cutbacks. Depends on the mood, and the wave.

Happy sup'er? Yes, but sometimes, upon catching the wave, i toss the paddle behind the lip and go on to surfing free, returning to the lineup via knee paddling or just crawling. Why? I think i'm on my skateboard? Don't know, it just feels so free.

Then, there's the local LB'ers, many of which i know (and are friendly), a close to shore inner reef and some disident peers, who are starting on the prone surfing thing. Well, i'm included among them. Disident, because we've chosen to start surfing the inner reef-and a close by mellow beach break, on days when, otherwise, we would've SUP surfed.

Why? When the wind picks up, it's easier to stay put in one place. (Until whitecaps). Personally, I've been prone and knee paddling for a couple years and believe it's an excellent workout. So, i have a big LB, 10' x 23.5" with...a pad installed. Yep, an SUP pad, since i hate wax and knee paddle. Love the workout, the closeness to the water, and, even though the wave count goes down, the feeling once up and surfing is so unique, the trimming is so exquisite.

It's a matter of balancing pros and cons, becoming a more complete surfer in the process, within one's personal style.

Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 08:25:49 PM »

I'm going to maybe demo some longboards just to see if it feels right again. I'm going to demo a 10'0" Slater Trout for a longboard SUP later this week hopefully too.
I think that's a brilliant idea.  Does a friend have one you could borrow for a week or two?  Very smart move to try it again before you commit the money.  If you are in Orange County, you could surf my Walden Mega Magic longboard a few times.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:27:23 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 06:11:35 AM »
The irony being that once upon a time a SUP was simply an oversized longboard.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal