Author Topic: CL Tomo-style Stand up board  (Read 26468 times)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: CL Tomo-style Stand up board
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2015, 06:11:08 AM »
Great Slide show I have faith you'll get it wired
Now all we need is to get you a good paddle ha ha
Have fun
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2015, 06:14:24 AM »
Yea, that paddle is def not my good one. It's a Kiola Pupu. My good carbon fiber Isle pro is all delamed and effed up. I spent sooo much on sups this past yr that I'm tapped for a new padddle! But the Pupu is a tough son-o-bitch!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2015, 06:43:04 AM »
Gettin' jiggy with it! Love the moves. I'll have to teach you the helicopter, it's my favorite. If there's anyone nearby when you're climbing back on your board just say something like, "Damn bees, won't leave me alone."

+1 on what Creek says. Looks to me like you're smokin' it, Cook! I'll bet that thing is a blast to ride. And yeah, there's no sightseeing on these smaller boards, at least for us mere mortals.

Great stuff, Cook! Thanks for all the cool updates. Keep em' coming.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2015, 07:37:18 AM »
Yea, that paddle is def not my good one. It's a Kiola Pupu. My good carbon fiber Isle pro is all delamed and effed up. I spent sooo much on sups this past yr that I'm tapped for a new padddle! But the Pupu is a tough son-o-bitch!

surfercook- winds just changed and evn tomorrow now should be good in NJ...Mon and Wed too.

I think you will REALLY notice a difference if you get a new paddle- I have two Isle Pro's from old packages I use on flatwater- but went to a Ke Nalu from Jim K and on little boards in the surf (im 210lbs and primarily ride a SB Pocket Rocket)  Your stroke and ability to conserve energy on a step down board will suprise you - not to mention swapping sides and quickness to change strokes to keep that tomo upright.

Have you gotten the tomo in any hollow jersey beachbreak? Im still searching for a board that has the quickness to get into fast hollow jersey waves that isn't a traditional skinny shortboard shape. (if i have to stand in surf stance all session i'd rather just prone) report back come a chest high swell!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2015, 10:46:30 AM »
Have you gotten the tomo in any hollow jersey beachbreak? Im still searching for a board that has the quickness to get into fast hollow jersey waves that isn't a traditional skinny shortboard shape. (if i have to stand in surf stance all session i'd rather just prone) report back come a chest high swell!

Hey NrthJerz, than for checkin' out my V-Box post. lol, just got the thing a coupla days ago so haven't had a chance to test it in the good stuff. But the glassy little waves yesterday were a good idea of whether or not I will even be able to handle! Def glad to get that big question mark answered.
My 8'0" Assassin handles hollow stuff pretty well, but it's pretty wide at 30-1/2". I've a feeling the Vee is gonna do a bit better in the hollows.
Que-ed a coupla my more hollow waves up 4ya, bud!

https://youtu.be/h65FEDp61q0?t=1m39s

https://youtu.be/DVQVcdpCQEo?t=3m45s
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2015, 07:43:38 PM »
Had the Vee out in the tail end of the great swell we just had. Thing felt fast 'n loose! MUCH easier than my first go out. After two hrs I was DONE! Didn't help that this was my 5th sesh in 2 days. Three yesterday in SIZE, one this morning in clean shoulder, and finished up in the afternoon in clean high tide-ish. Rode my tried and true Assassin yesterday though. I was not confident enough on the Vee yet. Plus it was blowin' 20-25 mph offshore. Vid's comin'.  8)
Yesterday on the Assassin- 6/28

Today's V-Box Sesh- 6/29

supthecreek

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »
Rippin that V-Box!  ;D ;D

Wazza66

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2015, 09:01:18 PM »
Stoked  to see your enjoying the board.

To get even more performance out of it get that back foot back more and the board comes alive even more through the turns and accelerates faster out of the turn.

How do I know....cause i ride on everyday ;)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 08:35:51 PM »
To get even more performance out of it get that back foot back more and the board comes alive even more through the turns and accelerates faster out of the turn.
Thanx for the tip, Wazza! Three solids sessions on it now. Feeling more comfortable for sure. Are you a principle over at Gulliver? QUALITY build on this V-Box! And the Moonraker quad fins ain't no joke!
After about two hrs on it I def am spent! I think full winter rubber might be a no go, but I'll prob have to try !
Here's da vid of my 8'1" V-Box conquest!

https://youtu.be/79mR66XTXeg
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:37:49 PM by surfercook »

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2015, 11:13:33 PM »
Great vid Surfercook! Some nice conditions and you've got the board dialled in. Good to see you aborting and giving way to the proner at 3.58 and showing us how it should be done! Nice to include.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

supthecreek

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2015, 03:45:30 AM »
Cookiemonster!!!!
You are surfing totally different on the box!
I see a real evolution in your turns and basic approach to the waves.
You are carving more, reading waves differently, and attacking them more aggressively, plus you are working the paddle more.

I also see the strength building going on that I feel with my Speeed.... the workout hits sooooo many more muscles.
Prediction?
In a few weeks, you will be selling all your other boards ;)
I know I am ;)

Next winter you will probably be ok on it, since the float looks fine. You will have totally adapted before then... maybe a Box quiver

Cookieman is evolving into cookiemonster! ;D ;D ;D

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2015, 04:37:14 AM »
Cookiemeister, Lookin' gud brah. Recuperating and watching you schralping on the V-Box!!

Progress not perfection!!

Looks like you're gettin it..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2015, 09:01:05 AM »
LOL! Thanx, Big, Off-Shore, and Creek! After watchin' countless vids of Zane and Kai I started forcing my paddle to the other side for cutbacks. Still feels weird though. Gotta keep at it. Not much backside action 4me yet. That'll be another learning curve. The V-Box is a REALLYY aggresive board, no casual ridin' there! I do have the Vibe for sale on Craig's and quite a few inquiries. Doubt I'll sell the Assassin or Ripper though. They def round out my quiver nicely. Assassin works REAL well when it's mackin' with a stiff offshore. Same holds true w/the Ripper and that sup is also real good in chop. Had the Ripper out today for a more relaxed sesh. Felt good.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2015, 06:39:12 PM »
White on rice. Man you're looking great, Cookie! It's a whole different feel of surfing on a sup, isn't it! It's very cool to see one of our Zoner buddies get to experience a whole new gig and then share it with the rest of us.  Why I like the Zone.  Thanks Cookie! Cool stuff! And congrats again on the new ride. Oh and, very cool video!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2015, 10:39:21 AM »
Thanx, Mr Big! Def STOKED on the Vee! Different? The V-Box is about as different as ya get! Some BUTTER out there this morning. Def the juiciest waves yet 4me on the "Hovercraft"! I was goin' so fast it was hard for me to switch paddle sides for cutty's! Decided to try a FLICKR for posting. It has a nice full screen slideshow feature.
https://flic.kr/s/aHskfzE515

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal