Author Topic: Futures SUP Handle Install - Homemade jig  (Read 3342 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Futures SUP Handle Install - Homemade jig
« on: June 07, 2015, 10:03:13 PM »
More DIY messing around. This is the wooden, and square, test for my next template. (Argh, still can't find anyone near me to cut these things with a laser cutter.)

The parts are just 1X2 wood taped together. (which is 3/4" X 1-1/2") It just so happens that a 3" trim router base with a 1/2" bit in it needs a 1.5" offset so while this stock can make the frame, it also lets you use the pieces to make sure everything fits and lines up.

The process is that you mark your spot in pencil. Put the loose pieces in to line up your inner jig and tape it down. Cut the deep inner hole for the cup. Once you've got that cut, then put the handle in the hole you made and use it and your loose pieces to line up the flange template and tape it down.

Set your router to the thin depth of the flange and make your cut.

NOTE!!!! With the square corners you will have a little room at the corners.

I've been working on my technique and with a decent pencil mark, you will be able to freehand the corners.

I've got a rounded version that I hope to release as soon as I get a chance to get it cut and test it.

These shots show both frames and all the test fit pieces so they may be confusing but here are the parts for the frames as shown. (Make your own fit pieces out of the scrap.) But I hope this will help some of the backyarders avoid some math and get a better cut than freehanding the whole thing.

The handle inner cup is 1" X 4-3/16" and adding 1.5" to each side gives you these numbers for the inner frame:

2 pieces - 4" long
2 pieces - 7-3/16" long

The flange is 1-3/4" X 5" and adding 1.5" to each side gives you for the outer frame:

2 pieces - 4-3/4" long
2 pieces - 8" long

I stopped messing around before I got to clean one up completely but here's my wacky test cuts in some scrap.

Notice that when you angle the router in you can crease the foam above the hole. When I do the rounded templates I'll add a base plate to prevent this.

And one final word. The router is not your friend. It's the highest RPM and probably most dangerous tool in the shop. Be careful with these things.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Futures SUP Handle Install - Homemade jig
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 12:20:57 PM »
Found a place to laser cut. Should get a test template within the week.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 11:11:59 PM »
You should try my 3 hp plunge router. I use it for routing out mortised door locks. I plunge it 3" into a door edge and hope it doesn't blow out the side. Talk about sketchy. Your homemade jig will do the trick just fine. It looks like a couple of my jigs:)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 12:20:30 AM »
Dude, I have vehicles that don't have that much power.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 12:32:05 PM »
Hah hah! (subscribed)

Dude, I have vehicles that don't have that much power.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:33:52 PM by magentawave »
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal