Author Topic: Simmons SUP - First Build Thread  (Read 28441 times)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Simmons SUP - First Build Thread
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2015, 10:56:37 AM »
Wow, what a great video, and who would have thought that they cut their own discs out of sheets of sandpaper. That would be so much cheaper than buying expensive discs. Saved to Evernote. Thanks!

Do you think that's regular contact cement in the squeeze bottle?

Watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubKqPDKinxM

I think Robert Stehlik from Blue Planet Surf produced this video? It sure sounds like him.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2015, 03:53:19 PM »
Ok so there are no pictures but I ran down to Brighton today to meet up with SupUK.

His CNC rig is as amazing as you'd think. It could probably hold a 16 or 17' blank. It had a 14 on it and it looked like a 12'6".

We got to hang and talk boards (and answer all my questions) and it was cool to see and hold the boards that he's posted here. His progression is obvious when you hold the boards. His resin work is even better than you can see from the pics.

Thanks for the hospitality man.

Next time, I'll try to bring a wetsuit and paddle. Makes me want to go home and build a quiver.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2015, 04:39:27 AM »
The lack of a commemorative 'selfie' is really disappointing. It makes it way harder for us to live vicariously through you. I mean, you could have taped a GoPro to a paddle or asked somebody or something...

That's all teasing. Good on both of you for making real live international human connection! I hope the work part of your trip goes well too.
-J
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

supthecreek

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2015, 06:59:04 AM »
I'm smiling..... it somehow very cool when Zoners meet up in far away places.(at least for one of them)

It shows the power of the Zone to bring like minded people together.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2015, 11:30:10 AM »
Ok so there are no pictures but I ran down to Brighton today to meet up with SupUK.

His CNC rig is as amazing as you'd think. It could probably hold a 16 or 17' blank. It had a 14 on it and it looked like a 12'6".

We got to hang and talk boards (and answer all my questions) and it was cool to see and hold the boards that he's posted here. His progression is obvious when you hold the boards. His resin work is even better than you can see from the pics.

Thanks for the hospitality man.

Next time, I'll try to bring a wetsuit and paddle. Makes me want to go home and build a quiver.

Glad you could make it down it was great to meet you. enjoy the good weather and look forward to seeing the finished board!

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2015, 06:17:42 PM »
That's just too cool you guys met up. I'll bet it was cool to see how far Charlie has come and get to talk shop. Way to go guys.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2015, 08:49:27 PM »
Lookin like you are knowing ur stuff over there, Cowboy! Proud papa to be!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2015, 05:19:57 PM »
Cook, thank you.

And yeah, Charlie being off on his own and maybe not affected as much by a drive to be a huge brand right away has put him in a neat place to have some original ideas and test things out. The progression of his boards was really visible.

I can't wait to see this new fish done I think it's going to be crazy cool.

I gotta get some sleep, catch a long plane and finish mine off!

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2015, 06:28:46 PM »
Safe trip home, Cowboy. Can't wait to see the finished product and get a ride report. Then it'll be time to start a new one and another thread, right?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2015, 01:35:26 PM »
Green, as I sanded it today I was thinking, BG says I could just ride this. Lol

I'm gonna hot coat again tonight and in the am so we will see. And oh yeah, I'm gonna do a couple of shot boards for buddies to get my skills up without a lot of area to cover and then start on either my winter step up or a Linter style true longboard SUP. Decisions decisions. ;)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2015, 09:24:47 AM »
Oquick update on sanding.

Learn tomuse your power tools, even if you ,eps up a few times, it's worth it in the long run. If you're doing more than one board it makes a huge time difference.

Also, hand or power, grit is your friend. I consistently started too high. When I took my fill coat down I eventually went down to 80 and 100 grit and had it flat in a minute or two. Once I was done with hot coat 220 is where I started and using fresh paper, just swap it more than you think like TallDude says, I finished it up nicely with no real sand throughs. We will see today when I finish it up I might have a couple but again, no big deal.

I did my rails by hand and started at 120-150 with a small foam pad and then went to 220.

It's really not been that bad and once you get one side done, the second is so much easier. I'll have more pics later today or tomorrow. Fins and final sanding and a pad and it's done. I hope to get it into the water next weekend. But for now, gotta go catch a few.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2015, 10:01:11 PM »
Ok, the sanding goes on. So on the advice of the board I took the first hotcoat (really a filler coat) down as flat as I could and as you can see, it paid off in the hot coat.

This first shot is the state of the sanding when I put the hot coat on.

And here's what came back. One bad spot where I couldn't walk away and kept brushing. Hear me now, walk away. ;)

And then it was time to take the grinder to the vent, plugs and handle. The finest Harbor Freight. Note that this is not the pad to sand with, I have a Yellow pad for sanding. This is my 60 grit grinder pad. Also, this is the wrong sander though I've made it work. This one has no trigger so it's crazy to start and stop.

The handle came out cool and I stopped before cutting into the glass.

For the plugs, I taped around them to keep me from digging into the glass but I probably have my feel for the grinder now so I might not need to do this anymore.

Oh, and I have kind of been waiting to mention this. If the shape looked really good and close to an S1, it's because it is.

The file was donated by the man himself, Kirk McGinty from L41.

In what was maybe the coolest way to stoke out a new builder he reached out to me after seeing my post and offered up the perfect shape for what I wanted to ride and for my first build.

If you want one of these without the 100 hours of learning curve, hit him up. I promise the glass job will be way better. ;)

So yeah, I wanted to take my time and not f^&k it up. ;) Thank you Kirk.

karl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2015, 10:27:13 PM »
Great job. Mine hasn't quite go as well as that  :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2015, 09:09:43 AM »
Karl, you're seeing the output of a lot of re-doing and testing. I got to wreck some hot coats on some little handplanes and then tune it before I was blowing 8oz at a time. ;)

The cheater coat and scrape off trick has changed my life. Now, to go measure those fins.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2015, 01:09:04 PM »
What is the "cheater coat and scrape off trick" you mentioned?

The cheater coat and scrape off trick has changed my life. Now, to go measure those fins.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal