Author Topic: 8'10 Sunova SPEEED  (Read 52927 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 8'10 Sunova SPEEED
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2015, 06:52:46 PM »
lm the  guy  JimK is trying  the  first  order  with . Signed  up for  the  8 10. Jim is  great  to work  with . I first  called  the  distributor  on the  Sunova  web site  and they  were  not  much  help . Creek   said to  call  Jim   and I  am  sure  it  will  work  out  well .

supthecreek

« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2015, 09:26:50 PM »
eastbound, I'll get in touch when I do a fly by!

Pabst.... see you there ;-)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2015, 09:56:02 AM »
I knew I shouldn't have read a Creek review...now I want this board  ;)
x2  I do wonder watching the videos it seems like the nose never even gets wet. so why have such a square nose  I know to keep the rails  parallel. but what about exiting the nose an inch or 2 so it would be more rounded   and  more pleasing to the eye. 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2015, 10:23:39 AM »
none the less i am very intrigued by this board and have been flirting with pulling  the trigger on new one. been  thinking hammer, kings custom   and a few other but now seeing these  I am so confused :-\
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2015, 10:35:20 AM »
Hey Creek, post some pictures of the bottom  is it concave ? flat  double single ? I might have missed it  in the   posts   some pictures would be great! Thanks

supthecreek

« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2015, 01:29:51 PM »
Outside
Square is BIG in Australia.... it allows shorter, narrower, faster
plus....if they made it more rounded.... it would appear to be a Simmons rather than a "Tomo"?

The nose, as it stands is really functional... it allows me to dig super hard, when paddling for a wave... it gets more stable, the harder I lean forward.
It never pearls... the scoop is so pronounced that it gets me out of a lot of tight situations.... especially coming off the top, it handles the landing well.
It is so thin that I don't notice it being there.
Another bonus is that it "fits" the wave face, when catching a weak wave.... just step up there and the board will catch any tiny bump.

Only drawback?
I keep banging the front corner on stairs, because I can't see it when walking.
I gotta remember that I haven't got a tapered point up the stairs from me.

Bottom is slightly single concave. Slightly, being used accurately here.

I really haven't vetted the whole board for a full review yet, so my pictures are only preliminary... hard to see with the level I used... I will need better props to get good pictures.

I have never been this long without useful "review" waves.
We need some size and power to really put it through it's paces, and get proper video look at it..... I've never seen Cape Cod so gutless.... just weak slopes... but fun :)

This pic shows the concave about a foot back from the nose... I'm pretty sure it is fairly constant throughout, but it is so slight it's hard to tell... like I said, I need a more contrasting setup to see it.

JohnnyMaya

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2015, 03:12:07 AM »
Hi guys,

First of all thanks for the kind words on the video footage. I'd love to say that it was all about my surfing as i really try to draw some clean lines when suping, but a lot of it comes from the board.
That video was shot on a day where I was demoing some of their boards, i had never tried the board before. The waves, while super clean were completely gutless.

At the time i was one of the Starboard team riders here in Portugal. Since that day, i lost the pleasure of riding my Starboards and I simply couldn't get even close to the speed and drive I felt on the Sunova. I'm not even sure what it is, if the round rails or the lack of hard edge.
Since then, i left Starboard and became a Sunova ambassador and got myself a couple of boards.

I'm 6'3 and 235lb.

I've been away from home traveling and judging some WSL events so not so much time to try the new boards which arrived two weeks ago.

The boards I got were a slightly modified version of the original sizes to accommodate my not so lightweight frame:
- Speeed 7'11 x 26 3/8" @101.6L
- Acid XL 8'2 x 28 1/2" @ 105L

While i've already taken both boards to the beach, the Acid is still to get it's debut as the Speeed is soooooo much fun. The other day though i swapped boards with Tiago from Sunova here in Portugal and his stock Acid 8'2 felt insane - even if i'd sunk it to my thighs if i'd stop paddling.

The Speeed 7'11 has everything i wished for from when i tried the 8'5": smaller, more agile and allows for quicker turns. In the other hand it doesn't have the same glide and drive from the 8'5, but it can also come from the fact that i'm not using the stock fins which are big due to small surf. I'm waiting for some clean decent sized waves to take my conclusions.

After surfing the board for a couple of days and spending time in the line up looking at it, i feel Bert really nailed it: the board is a beauty and surfs like nothing i've ever tried before.
Besides the parallel outline and rocker, i feel there are two parts of this board which makes it "the Speeed" - the hard edge all the way up to the nose of the boards and those deep channels on the tail of the board. Whatever you throw at it, the board will handle without sliding or loosing it's line. I can now go much deeper in my backhand bottom turns than before and still have a lot more speed when i reach the top of the wave.
This is the reason why i'm currently using much smaller fins: you will still have a lot more speed than on other boards, but it will allow you to go for some fins free turns if you really push it (i couldn't set the fins free with the stock fins).

The other thing that really amazes me is that with this board is that if i'm setting the rail to get barreled it enables me to keep an high line like a surfboard would do, but since i'm yet to try the Acid, i can't tell if it is due to the outline shape, the channels, the rocker or the hard edge. One thing is for sure, i've never managed to do it before on other SUB's.

While it is an hand full to paddle for someone my size and weight, i feel i could probably have gone 26" wide or 25 3/4" and still get away with it. Having a narrow board feels so good. I'd say that my previous board (the 2015 SB 8'0 Pro at 28" wide and 105L) isn't any more stable than this one.

I was afraid that the board would become too thick from adding some volume, but in reality it doesn't feel thick as the rails have a really low profile.

When i have some more time on the boards i will try to post a review with some pics and videos.

Cheers,
Johnny

PS.: One of these days i'll try to surf the board finless. I think it's going to be a lot of fun!!!

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2015, 08:56:18 AM »
Cool Johnny; looking forward to a new vid.

supthecreek

« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2015, 11:00:00 AM »
Great info Johnny.... thanks for input!
Everyday I am more jazzed on this thing!!!

4 great sessions in 36 hours.... Yowza!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2015, 05:15:13 PM »
Great write up. I HAVE a brand new board that I love and you guys have me wondering..... :P

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:17:12 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2015, 07:46:14 PM »
OK, I gotta cop to it... I succumbed to the peer pressure and ordered a Sunova Speeed too... the 9'5" version.  This is the shortest I've ever gone, so  we'll see.  Countin' calories and days....

10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2015, 10:09:33 PM »
^^^^^

I ordered one as well...and also the 9'5"....the Johnny and Supthecreek videos got me  ;D

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2015, 09:47:49 AM »
let me know if i can help you guys with Sunova's

I've delivered several things seem to be working

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2015, 09:54:37 AM »
Hey Creek,

I'm always curious about board dims/shapes.  I was wondering if you'd be willing to post a few measurements (see pic)?
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

supthecreek

« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2015, 10:17:45 AM »
Africa

1 = 21 1/16"

2 = 17 3/8"

3 = 11 1/8"

4 = 19"

A lot of special sauce is spread between 1 & 2  :)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard