Author Topic: 8'10 Sunova SPEEED  (Read 52805 times)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: 8'10 Sunova SPEEED
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 12:09:49 PM »
Be interesting to find out how well she goes in bigger surf.......hold on  tight :)

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 01:25:22 PM »
baddog
Please give us your input... I would love to hear about your experience with it, as I am sure many others would appreciate it as well.
Any surf pics or video to share?

Sounds like you are West Coast.... California?

Like you, I thought the silver on the rails was paint as well.... until I read the fine print ;D
It is indeed titanium infused cloth.... not paint. (see pic)

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 06:27:58 PM »
No real surf time yet and probably not soon, so I can only speak from a couple quick choppy paddles. So Cal, yes.  Paint wise, here's the low down from one Martin's posts:

"Question: 5) The black rails with the Silver paint brush job. Why that? Is it cheaper? Answer:  The black on the rails is a full carbon cloth wrap. Just as we use the Titanium on the EcoTec for extra strength we use Carbon on all XXXTec boards. It does the same things, exactly. More fabric = more strength. The Silver paint brush job solves 2 things. 1) to add a bit of look and make it more exclusive, as it is clearly hand brushed. We do that on every board by hand. But it is also THE best way to add the lightest quantity of weight to a paint job, while making it SUPER STRONG to not crack. The rail is the worst place on the board, because the paddle constantly hits it. We found out that that hand brushing the rail in this way protects it the best."

My board was demo'd once and has a few in the carbon sides near the tail and none in the silver.  Not really shatters, but more like scuff marks that have the weave pattern of the glass.  You can see it, but there is nothing there by touch. I whacked the rails (forward) a bunch in my first twenty minute session, not a mark did I make. And I was in the water a lot.  Opted to buy some Rail Saver Pro.

Spent a restless night doubting my ability; narrow race boards, no problem, but that 27 3/4" width and 8'5" length was a whole new ballgame.  Not to mention I am way lighter the Johnny Maya and I was struggling on the same board >:(  Reread a bunch of threads on the Speeed and of course Johnny Maya had the key on how to stand.  My left foot is at 11:30, my toes past the vent and my right foot is at 1:30 with my heel behind the handle.  Bingo, a paddle around a wind blown bay and I was rock solid.  Now if I can actually get it in the surf...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:47:58 PM by baddog »

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 01:18:58 AM »
stc said: "They are coming out with (or already have) a 9'5 x 31 at 160 L that might be my call next winter, in full gear."  Now you're talking my kind of Ls.  Would love to try a board like yours w/ move volume, for sure.  OTOH, I'm so used to, and so love, flat rocker profiles that I don't know how I'd like or handle the flipped nose.  Maybe we swap boards for a second next I see you and if I can stand on yours, maybe I can see how that nose feels.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 04:44:16 AM »
Linter, Creek,

You guys been following Blane on Instagram? He's got a very interesting new concept on how to make a board stable and rip. It's a step rail on the BOTTOM. You get the narrow fast bottom once up planing. Sub planing and down in the water, you've got a wide stable platform. This is better than his old bevel rail that was unstable.

https://instagram.com/p/3dNEEng2qZ/?taken-by=blanechambers

I can't wait to complete my move to Florida in July. First board I'm shaping is one of those.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 04:47:46 AM by DW »

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 05:04:33 AM »
it's odd to me that the reports of the Speeed indicate it rips, but it is not particularly stable. i know this isn't meant to be just another Tomo shaped board, but aren't there a lot of boards out there that have great performance but aren't very stable? Since I'm always looking for a fast, high performance board with very good stability (who isn't?), it seems this Sunova doesn't really fit that bill, though it may well be an excellent board for what it does do. If I'm off on my assertions here, please...Sunova riders correct me!

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 05:27:40 AM »
DW, A friend loaned me one of the new Tom C. and Blaine C. Loose Leaf designs. It is 8'4" x 27" x 3 15/16" x 96 liters. Chined rails, hull nose and is the most unstable board I have ever stood on!

The guy who loaned it out has mad skills  ( I do not ) and would fall  four out of five times going for waves in normal conditions; he rides Starby sub 8' Pros.

I no longer fall training in a lake!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 06:43:51 AM »
dw: that board looks way cool.  btw / congrats on the move to FL.  i know you'd been planning on it for a long time and now it's come to pass.  bueno!

supthecreek

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 07:15:31 AM »
I didn't say the SPEEED was unstable.... I said it is smaller than anything I had ever ridden, so I needed to get my butt in gear to prepare myself.
This winter, I spent a lot of time falling off my 10'6 Alana.... so I needed some work. :P

At my size and age, I am VERY happy with the stability and especially, the paddle-ability of the Speeed
I felt pretty comfortable on it in my first surf session, which is surprising, since I have never surfed a board below 30" or 140 liters before  ;D (well... once... but it was a much wider Simmons shape)
I think the video hints to my comfort.... maybe I have to put one up of me standing outside between waves, to show how it is with a big old boy on it ;)
The really small day was my second session, the vid does not show how strong the wind really was.... 18-25 mph all day

After 6 days I am completely comfortable on it in very nasty conditions.... it is NOT my fair weather board.... the Speeed is the only board I'm interested in riding now.... it is THAT good.
having said all that, it is smallish board for big guys..... the 9'5 Speeed will cover people who need more width.

DW... I don't really need to look anywhere.....I am thrilled with everything about this board.
Can I come stay at your new place in Florida next winter? I'm done with this Arctic shit ;)

The feel underfoot that is hard to describe.
It has the smoothest, softest connection to the ocean when on a wave.... like I said before... like butter.

Even in the weak crap waves I have had it on, it has given me the feeling that I saw on Johnny Maya's video.
The distinct "bend" in the rail line, right at the forward channel and side bite, coupled with Bert Burgers magic, gives this board a spectacular ability to snap a tight carving turn, and do it smoothly without scrubbing off speed.

I got some waves on Sunday that were close to head high, but they were a 1/2 mile "victory at sea" paddle away, so I didn't get any videos.
The wind was seriously 30 mph at a VERY side/off shore angle. Every other SUP'r looked at the conditions and drove away.
I surfed for 2.5 hours with Stoneaxe in 1' cross chop and wind that would simply blow you off your feet.... but I was fine on the Speeed....the need to get it in some head high waves was all that mattered.
This board continued to impress. Bottom turns were tight and solid, off the top was awesome... I can only salivate at the first clean swell I get this on.
It's funny, the messy conditions didn't make it any harder to stand on...I didn't really think about it.... if anything, it may have been easier than my bigger boards because it sits lower in the water (and wind)

beached.... I think that stable and high performance are at odds with each other.... so high performance boards, with stability, have some kind of compromise.
I can't speak to Sunovas intent with this board, but I think they did a masterful job of incorporating the stability of a wide nose into a a very rip-able shape.
The wide nose allows for a very fast outline and has the added benefit of providing super stability when digging for a wave (when it counts the most)

On all my traditional shapes I have a reoccurring problem:
I lean on my "paddle side" and weight forward as I dig hard for a wave... the "paddle side" rail digs in because I am leaning that way as well.... bang... the board shoots one way, me another. Face plant.

That does NOT happen on the Speeed  :)
The wide nose of the Speed actually gets more solid as I lean into the stroke.... the pronounced "scoop" keeps the nose lifting up, and the curve of the scoop fits the wave face so catching waves is super easy.

The video show me catching waves that never broke (in high winds).... considering it is a narrow, low volume board for my size.... that pretty much amazed me.

linter, that should explain the scoop nose a bit.... I know you are digging the flatter nose profile... it should be a fun "water swap" session.... now get you ocean in gear and supply us some waves ;)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 07:29:26 AM »
Chined rails, hull nose and is the most unstable board I have ever stood on!

Yep, that's why nobody copied Blane.

But I'll bet lots of shapers copy his new design if it solves the stability issue.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 08:08:43 AM »
Great Vid looks like longboard type glide You are looking good Mr. Creek

Now all we need is to get these in the US

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 11:52:24 AM »
Man, I LOVE the renaissance of SUP shapes coming out these days!

The board looks great Creek.  Love all the theory behind why it works. 
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 12:35:02 PM »
What is the thinking behind those carved channels in the back?  I know from Burger's videos, he likes to optimize the direction the jet spray fires to allow the tail/rails  to go where you want them rather than working against rider input.

I thought those kinds of channels acted like extra "fins", so is there any danger of "fin overload"?
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 01:41:24 PM »
I was just going to ask if those are deep concaves or what??

What is the thinking behind those carved channels in the back?  I know from Burger's videos, he likes to optimize the direction the jet spray fires to allow the tail/rails  to go where you want them rather than working against rider input.

I thought those kinds of channels acted like extra "fins", so is there any danger of "fin overload"?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 01:52:50 PM »
I don't know who copied who but the first thing I thought when I picked up a Blane Chambers Tom Carroll design recently was how much that severe chine looks like the bigass chine Kirk McGinty (L41) has been putting on his S4 for the last two to three years. http://www.original-simsup.com/simsup-4  It is a little more tippy when paddling compared to his S1, S2, and S3 but it does help the board get on a rail easier.

I just looked at that Instagram photo of Blane Chambers again and that rail looks like he's doing something different than what he did with the Tom Carroll model. Anyone had a closer look at that rail? If so, what's going on with it? Based on the shading I see on the inside rail, it looks like the chine  is concaved??

Chined rails, hull nose and is the most unstable board I have ever stood on!

Yep, that's why nobody copied Blane.

But I'll bet lots of shapers copy his new design if it solves the stability issue.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:07:53 PM by magentawave »
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal