Author Topic: production vs custom board  (Read 3746 times)

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
production vs custom board
« on: May 29, 2015, 08:36:33 AM »
During my journey finding a board for myself, I ended up talking to Brian Hovninian from Hovie who is now local to me.  I told him sort of what I was looking for and to my surprise, he said that he could make something specific to me and the price was pretty reasonable - about the same as what I was thinking about paying for a new board.

Assuming construction is similar between the production and custom board, and assuming your shaper knows what they are doing (from what I've read, Brian certainly qualifies), is there any reason you wouldn't chose a custom board?
Starboard 2015 Elite Touring 14'
JL Blade II
-------------------------------------
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: production vs custom board
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 09:04:25 AM »
My wife and I have owned a few of his boards.  His custom boards are actually better than his production boards and Lighter.  Brian is a good guy to work with and his race boards are winners.

What are you looking to have made?

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 09:06:25 AM »
The only reason would be price or intended user. 
Once you buy your first couple boards the price isn't a factor because you have a supply of used boards to lend people learning.
If you are buying for a kid that will grow beyond the board in a couple years, an off the shelf kids model is a good temporary fix.
If you are buying specifically to teach friends and family, a good soft top or all purpose stable board works fine, and you're really not customizing for anyone in particular.

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 09:09:54 AM »
Jim, good points.

mdsurf, I could be way off base, as I'm still new, but I'm looking for something for flatwater, primarily, that will compliment my displacement Blade II.  Something that can cruise good (98%) but maybe could get out in the gulf and catch a wave or two eventually (2%).  The production boards I was considering was the Starboard Cruiser or the JL Cruise Control.

I'm gonna talk to Brian a little later today and see what he thinks.
JL Blade II
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 01:14:20 PM »
talked to Brian for a bit - I might go down to his place and paddle a few boards next week.  He seemed to think that rather than custom, one of his touring boards would fit me the best but he said he had a few different kinds available to try.  He thought that with with almost no waves in the gulf, there was little reason to buy a planing type of board and that I'll just be wishing I could go faster in the flatwater with something like that.
JL Blade II
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 01:44:08 PM »
talked to Brian for a bit - I might go down to his place and paddle a few boards next week.  He seemed to think that rather than custom, one of his touring boards would fit me the best but he said he had a few different kinds available to try.  He thought that with with almost no waves in the gulf, there was little reason to buy a planing type of board and that I'll just be wishing I could go faster in the flatwater with something like that.

The more you do something, the more you'll want to customize.  Just getting into it, you'll figure most things out just fine on a production board, especially with the shaper right there.  I'm now at a point where I've lost a bit of weight, and one of the production models from my shaper will be just about perfect.  I'll still get a custom because I like making it unique and I can tweak things just a bit, but I'd be fine with something off the shelf.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:45:56 PM by SlatchJim »

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 07:08:18 PM »
If you don't have a ton of wave time on the type of board you are considering and if the production board is significantly less I would go production to start. 

Once you have a lot of time on the production board you'll be in a much better position to determine how you want to go with the custom version.    It'll give you lots of time to see if the board works for you and the conditions you ride in. 

I recently went through a similar process.  I have a custom board but quickly outgrew it and wanted to go smaller.  I was going to go with another custom but wasn't sure on how small I should go.  I decided to save some money (~40%) and just go with a smaller production board to see if I liked it.  I am very happy with that decision and like the production board a lot.  If and when I decide to get another custom I am very confident on how I want it.

Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 07:18:21 PM »
Whats cool about the Gulf (I'm in Destin) is there is no short supply of bumps. Probably my favorite thing to do is take my race board out on small days (1-2'), sprint out about a quarter mile and ride the bumps back into shore. Great training. I wouldn't compromise at all for surfing. Any flatwater board will glide.

Singing a different tune: You're in the same position I was last year....only 2% surf priority. Then you start surfing and it becomes 2% race priority. Not sure how surf is in Sarasota (I presume), but since surf is limited it stays about 80% flatwater and 20% surf. You may eventually want a 9-10' surf board (all round / loaner) to catch all the mushy waves up to head high (if that exists in the Sarasota area). Whats great about a 9-10' board is you get lots of glide paddling out through the chop and its easy to catch smaller waves. I have an 8x30' custom for clean days, 9x33 starboard for choppy days, and a 14' production from the same shaper as my custom and love them all equally so far. I'm pretty rough on the boards, I think the starboard is the best construction. My custom is very solid too though. The production is new, relatively untested after one surf session and a few workouts, but so far very optimistic.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 09:49:37 PM »

Going and paddling a few boards sounds like the best idea here.  No one's advice - salesman, shaper, or zoner - can substitute for time on the water.  Paddle a few boards, see what feels good, try in different conditions if possible, take note of the specs, etc.  Custom or production, it's all good but you gotta know what works for you!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 10:02:50 PM by Fog City Rider »
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 04:19:34 AM »
+1 for FOG

My experience with custom production
The ONLY way to get that "Magical Board" FOR YOU is getting a custom board But...
"You gotta be willing to kiss some Frogs"
In breif discription
It takes time to learn the Shaper point of view board wise a breif chat or 2 or 3 or 4 (thus adjusting your ideas on Magical)
The shaper has to get comfortable taking your input (You don't just call up a reputable shaper and tell him what YOU want and he goingto just say "Yes Sir" That is HIS name (Brand) on that board .
Please do not take this as a point against custom boards it is just the reality and please refer to my first sentence

Good Luck and have fun

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 11:00:12 AM »
+1 Fog, JimK . I went the custom route early on because I needed lots of float, but thin as I don't weigh alot.

Pat Rawson, Dave Daum, and Ed Angulo have made some spectacular boards that most production boards would have not done the job for me.

However, as I am not a racer all of my flat water boards have been off the rack.

I wish I had demo'd more. But as a completely unrecovered board junky -  as an indigenous friend once said   -  the path is never straight, the trail is always crooked!

Paddle a lot and see what works for your completely unique being!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal