Author Topic: Is there metered parking to surf Doheny?  (Read 3532 times)

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Is there metered parking to surf Doheny?
« on: May 25, 2015, 04:17:04 PM »
Friend of mine is camping out there, he tells me to come out in the morning.
I've never been down there, and I was wondering if there are any metered parking.
I'm just gonna be there for 2-3 hours, first thing in the morning.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is there metered parking to surf Doheny?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 05:55:55 PM »
There is, but it's nearest to the jetty, so it's a ways from the State Park camping area. You can just meet them at the hammer, which 1/2 way and where you sup surf anyway. Instead of turning left into Doheny State Park (signal), turn at the next left (no signal). Then make your first left again into the metered parking lot run by the County of Orange, not the State Parks. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 06:47:57 PM »
Is there a spot to launch and de-launch by that parking area or do I have to carry my stuff a bit?

Nevermind, I see it on the Google map... If they don't let you paddle inside the hammer, means i gotta carry my stuff to the other side?

the local longboarders are gonna beat me up for walking across the longboarder area with a SUP?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:00:56 PM by jumpfrom13k »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 07:27:59 PM »
No. They won't.

It's the usual state fee to park. I think it's seven bucks, but I'm not sure.  Surf doheny for a while, then drive down to San Onofre and the same parking ticket works there.

My favorite thing to do is park at Baby beach (free) then get a nice workout paddling our of the harbor and around the point, then come in and surf doheny. Save a little steam for the paddle back. If you do that you will have had fifty times the exercise of the fat geezers sitting in the water waiting for a wave. Nice scenery too.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 07:45:45 PM »
The day use is $15 now. I think they have some metered parking inside the state park, but you would have to ask at the State Park Ranger booth. You can pull a U turn if they don't. Again, the metered parking I mentioned in my first post is hourly and run by the County not the State.  You can paddle out right there, just don't hang out in the line-up. I doubt anyone will hassle you near the jetty. That's 'boneyard' and it's shallow there. It's tide pools at low tide. It's mostly beginners on foamies. If you find any tension, it'll be right where we share the line-up at the hammer. Don't expect any hey bro's from the older longboarders. For me the vibe has been good lately. The SUP's are sometimes outnumbering the old proners.
Unless the surf is big and I bring my short board, I'll do what Pono suggested. It's a nice little 3/4 mile cruise through the harbor, and free parking.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 09:28:21 PM »
No. They won't.

It's the usual state fee to park. I think it's seven bucks, but I'm not sure.  Surf doheny for a while, then drive down to San Onofre and the same parking ticket works there.

My favorite thing to do is park at Baby beach (free) then get a nice workout paddling our of the harbor and around the point, then come in and surf doheny. Save a little steam for the paddle back. If you do that you will have had fifty times the exercise of the fat geezers sitting in the water waiting for a wave. Nice scenery too.
Sorry Bill, I was going to make a snide comment about The Beach Boys breaking up and the fall of the Soviet Union, but then I remembered, A: you're more tech savvy than I'll ever be, and B: I'm not completely certain you weren't responsible for the USSR's demise.  I'll let the cheap parking comment slide and not bring a knife to a potential shootout.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal