Author Topic: 12-6' x 30" design tips  (Read 32045 times)

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 12-6' x 30" design tips
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2015, 08:52:37 PM »
The heavy cloth was hard to handle. I got the bottom on Friday, cut the lap, and sanded things up to the point of being almost ready for the top.  The dust from the blue epoxy became an indicator for some free lap bubbles that needed filling. Time was running out and events kept me from getting more hands to help finish the job. We make the call to for me to return the board to my shop for finishing. This will allow me to do a better/unrushed job, install pad and handle, have a test ride, and measurement session before it goes back to its new owner. We joked about making an 'evil' twin for my own use with most of the pitfalls better reckoned and a less time consuming finish.

Once the call was made, we were able to spend a nice time at the beach, watch some kite boarding, and have a leisurely evening before my long drive back the next day.- J
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2015, 05:42:31 PM »
Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

I spent a couple hours sanding the rails and filling in pukas with 5 minute epoxy and wetting out some larger dry spots on the nose with regular epoxy cut with a little denatured alcohol during the week. I sanded the top and rails today and set out to do layer #2 of 4oz on the top, covering layer #1 of 4oz and the 5.7oz plain weave carbon deck patch and lapping the bottom glass on the rail. The transition from nose to deck lifted and caused me fits the first time, so I decided to glass it first today. It's setting up now, I'll go out and finish the job in a little bit once I am satisfied it will not squirrel around on me.

Cutter nose, transom tail, recessed deck...new glassing hazards for me. I am thinking nose and tail block for the next build.

I am a little concerned about the artwork getting 'dulled' by all the glassing but am too afraid to stop at 8oz on top for the sake of rails dings. We knew this going in, no real worries, but still hoping the 3 x 4oz ends up easier to lam and a bit clearer/cleaner than the 4oz+7.5oz on the bottom. -J

Be safe, have fun. -J

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2015, 09:48:43 PM »
If you're using E or S then the art should show up nicely.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2015, 06:51:34 AM »
The top has all three layers of 4 oz and its first fill coat. Things are looking shiny, no issues with fisheyes  and the normal amount of pin air. Surface was 24hr old 4oz lam with a quick hand sand with a used 100 grit disk, followed by a compressed air dust-off, then tack-wiped with denatured alcohol and a clean rag (to combat sweat and fingerprints from taping off the board, very humid here lately). Epoxy is Resin Research Kwik Kick with the normal shot of Add F and a couple grams of straight xylene for good measure.

Anyone else get 'resin fever' at this point, the overwhelming desire to coat and coat until the board is finished? Laying in bed early in the morning wondering if there is enough time for a quick coat before going to work? I think I got it bad. -J

Be safe, have fun. -J

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2015, 08:07:38 AM »
I have a couple of old 1500W electric space heaters that I can get my shop into the 90's with. I let it toast all night and the epoxy is all nice and crispy in the morning.

I bought the space heaters at a thrift store for $3 ea.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2015, 06:49:01 PM »
TD-Right now air temps are high 80's here, no trouble with mixing or curing epoxy. Winters are another story. I drug some old insulated HVAC ducting home from work to make a hot box for boards a couple years ago but have yet to assemble them. I don't even know if they would fit aboard this size.

I hit a snag tonight. I must of had a dry spot on the bottom. I hit the bottom with the sander to get rid of the bumps and prep it from being a week old, just a quick 80 grit...and vaporized 7.5 oz of cloth before I could see it and stop. The 4oz underneath is fine. So this board is now officially 'on the patch'. -J
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2015, 06:24:09 AM »
I got the notion from my sanding issues that the 7.5 oz mystery cloth bottom is a borderline dry lam situation. So I mixed up a batch of resin with Add F and xylene and gave it a rough scrub with a squeegee to drive some resin into the cloth before brushing it out. The colors seem a bit brighter which gives me hope that the lam is more saturated. Or maybe I am just feeling better about it. Either way it works for me right now.

Last night I went for a second fill on the bottom. Other than waiting too long to pick out bristles in a couple spots -and the damage induced by trying to smooth those spots- I am pretty happy with it. I need a new brush-prep routine, fingers and tape are not getting this batch of 3" chip brushes clean enough for finish use.

Hoping to do second fill coat on the top today and in-water testing in two days.

Enclosing picture of board and detail of Bahne box showing the homemade HD insert, paint, spackle, foam, taped-off resin...Magentawave was asking about paint over HD foam somewhere else. Next time I'd probably either not acrylic paint or spackle near the box or paint a little white over the HD foam and surrounding joints to make the whole thing look cleaner before the paint job. -J

Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2015, 01:08:56 PM »
I was hoping to paddle this today, instead I am waiting the 24 hours recommended by the manufacturers' instructions for full adhesive bond...-J
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2015, 07:06:22 PM »
Board got wet today...thanks everyone for all the information and encouragement! -J
Be safe, have fun. -J

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2015, 09:23:26 PM »
Sweet!  I like the little rocker too. Let us know how she glides. Did you weigh it?
It's not overhead to me!

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2015, 04:55:54 AM »
Very nice. 
Once again, thanks for posting this from start to finish so we could follow along. I am really glad you did.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2015, 09:44:16 AM »
Congratulations! There sure is a heck of a lot more to building a big board like that compared to a smaller surf sup.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2015, 08:55:43 PM »
Thanks Everyone!

Its weight is about 36 pounds: traction, handle, 1.5# foam, stringer, inserts, 12oz glass per side, two fill coats, and a 5.7 oz CF deck patch. It went along good. I noticed a bit more of a bow wake on this one versus the Bic Atec Wing, I am thinking that the nose of mine does not taper as much or as smoothly back as the Bic. My son thought ours was a bit more stable, which was one of the primary goals. He also thought it was easier to take an extra stroke or two per side on ours before the board started wandering. The picture shows the algae and ripple at the launch, later the water glassed over and there was a striking sunset and cloudy sky, with everything reflecting in the water. We sat for a while taking it in before we started losing the light. -J
Be safe, have fun. -J

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2015, 10:00:39 PM »
And so it begins. As you paddle it and stare at the nose, a whole world of shape ideas come to mind. Eventually it becomes clearer as to what you need to do on the next board:)
It's not overhead to me!

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2015, 08:07:48 AM »
I think some post-project symptoms are here. I wander out to the garage, look around, and come back in the house...

The current plan is to recover from the week at work, pick up the garage a bit, and get out on the water a couple times before starting something else.  This is the first time in two years I don't have another half-done board at the ready.

Enclosing a shot I took of the two boards on the trailer, showing some of the differences in the noses. -J

Be safe, have fun. -J

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal