Author Topic: 12-6' x 30" design tips  (Read 32068 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 12-6' x 30" design tips
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2015, 11:48:37 AM »
Being a builder, I look at it as cutting roof. You have a valley with two different pitches. Coming off the stringer is a steep pitch. Coming off the flat bottom transition point is a low pitch. I would hog out (Not too deep) those two angles with a hand saw or planer, then use a sanding screens and curved surform to blend.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 05:39:45 AM »
Thanks again TD! I was just not seeing it,  I was too obsessed with the thought of 'concave' to break it down into flat faces and blends.

I found something on Shape3D's warehouse called paddle2.s3dx and I have been messing with it to look more like my project, inspired by your tutorial.

It looks like I get to go for a paddle with my son and his friend tomorrow, and we would be trying boards from a lakeside SUP shop, as well as getting to ask questions and look at many boards.

I hope this is a good 1-2-3 combo to get me ready for bottom contouring.

Thanks, J
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2015, 02:02:38 PM »
I didn't get too far on the board this week. I got to paddle, talk SUP's with a pro, started a practice plug for the bottom nose, make some glassing samples for the artist, looked at board noses online, bought a couple machine tools, and totally got myself sidetracked with a paddle project...
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2015, 03:53:16 PM »
I took a whack on the practice nose. Does it look like the nose and point labeled A should really happen closer to B ?

Doctors, do you concur or advise differently? Please and thanks, -J

Be safe, have fun. -J

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2015, 06:07:17 PM »
I have absolutely no business commenting on this....but that's not going to stop me from beating my gums. But let it be known that I totally defer to TD in this matter. But yeah, B looks better. Not as abrupt...better glide maybe? TD, where are you?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2015, 06:34:43 PM »
That's not blended too well. You have to blend the transitions and it's not easy if you don't see it in your head. It's hard for me to mark up a picture and convey the complexity of that transition. The nose style you're going for has a couple of things going on. The board shape itself obviously parts the water. What your trying to do is reduce /control the bow wake and get some lift at the same time. Too abrupt of a lift, and the tail goes down. No lift and you're pushing water off the square nose rail. The further back towards your B mark the better the blend. If you move too far back with your transition, the board will become tippy. So the sweet spot ? Transition back a little further and smooth out your stringer to rail transition. Look at a lot of race sup board images online, and try to develop a clearer picture of what you want. You're on the right track, just went a little past the blend.
It's not overhead to me!

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2015, 05:15:47 AM »
Thanks BG and TD.  Hopefully your eyes are not in pain from looking at this mess.

Enclosing a couple images I have been looking at. The boards in my neck of the woods mostly look 'racy' to me like the red Fanatic in the pic from the Wave Hobbit.  I get from conversation that I would need to go more like the white one since I am dealing with a short x wide x thick 12'-6" design, is this correct? I am also throwing in a closer-up of the JL Searcher on the water and one from SUPATX.

The green one...nice pic, I know nothing about it...is there something I should be taking away from it?
Be safe, have fun. -J

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2015, 06:14:46 AM »
Thanks BG and TD.  Hopefully your eyes are not in pain from looking at this mess.
My eyes are not in pain and I am following this as well.
I have a Searcher if you want photos from a specific angle.
I will most likely also have it on the water sometime between tonight and Sunday night I could try and post something from that if that happens as well.
Nice job. I am looking for a project for this winter and this along with TallDude's tutorial makes it something that could actually happen.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2015, 08:55:02 AM »
My eyes are not in pain and I am following this as well.
I have a Searcher if you want photos from a specific angle.
I will most likely also have it on the water sometime between tonight and Sunday night I could try and post something from that if that happens as well.
Nice job. I am looking for a project for this winter and this along with TallDude's tutorial makes it something that could actually happen.

Thanks Lucabrasi, for the kind words and offer of pictures.  Should I PM or post my wish list here?

I am definitely hampered by my lack of experience and lack of examples to touch and feel during this process. I appreciate everyone's advice and encouragement.

-J
Be safe, have fun. -J

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2015, 11:47:47 AM »

Thanks Lucabrasi, for the kind words and offer of pictures.  Should I PM or post my wish list here?

I am definitely hampered by my lack of experience and lack of examples to touch and feel during this process. I appreciate everyone's advice and encouragement.

-J
Doesn't matter. I have a couple thoughts on it tho and I have no clue what is protocol so to say but I kind of think I know how I want to post. If you want me to run a tape from here to there and take a photo perhaps we should pm those at the least.
I know everyone takes someone elses board as inspiration in some manner or another. I also know someone can just go pick one up and knock it off so to say but if we start putting the measurements out there for everyone it just makes it way too easy. At the same time I got no problem sharing them with you watching what you are doing. Am I being kind of.......I don't know, unrealistic? Wishy washy? Too cautious or courteous? Is that something I should even worry about? On the other hand, a thread like this helps many out there.
Anyways, enough of that. Let me know what you want. Perhaps some here, perhaps some pm. 
I really doubt I would have thought of a practice nose on my own. Perhaps I would have run across it with research by the time I got to that point but no clue. This is helpful for anyone out there thinking they want to do something like this. I still not certain I will do this but I have kicked it around for a couple years now and it has gained way more interest in my head. The program tutorial and this at the same time definitely kicked it up a few notches. I was following this pretty soon after you started it and now more intently.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:57:02 AM by lucabrasi »

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2015, 03:35:24 PM »
Lucabrasi, those are some deep thoughts, thanks for sharing.  I'll follow with a PM.-J

Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2015, 10:39:34 AM »
I took another whack at the practice piece today, a couple days after renting/paddling/studying a BIC Ace Tec Wing 12-6 and a few days after Lucabrasi showed me one of his boards via pictures (thanks again!). Hopefully I am getting this a little closer. Next time I think I'll buy one first, then try to make one...-J
Be safe, have fun. -J

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2015, 03:26:22 PM »
Yes....
It's not overhead to me!

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2015, 04:38:09 AM »
Thanks TD, as always I appreciate the input.

I did a little 'analytical geometry' last night...um, I mean I took a saw to the practice nose and made some sections @ 3,6,12,18, and the end makes 30.5 inches.

With this sort of cutting/displacing nose, should I be striving for more 'V" along the bottom stringer from the nose back?

Bottom is the side with the saw handle.

Thanks, J
Be safe, have fun. -J

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2015, 08:33:25 AM »
Thanks TD, as always I appreciate the input.

I did a little 'analytical geometry' last night...um, I mean I took a saw to the practice nose and made some sections @ 3,6,12,18, and the end makes 30.5 inches.

With this sort of cutting/displacing nose, should I be striving for more 'V" along the bottom stringer from the nose back?

Bottom is the side with the saw handle.

Thanks, J
You see it now. It's R & D from here. Finish it, paddle it, study it, and change it..... ;)
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal