Author Topic: ALWAYS wear a leash.  (Read 12802 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
ALWAYS wear a leash.
« on: May 24, 2015, 08:15:28 PM »
Here's a third and final edit of my no leash drama vid.. My first vid showed how easy it is for your board to get away from you but left people wondering what happened next..

My second edit showed our boards getting washed up on the sand.. I've had concerned people contacting me asking what happened to us.. Did we need to be rescued?

My deecission to go without a leash even after realizing that I had forgoten it.. and after an attempt to try and paddle back was a bad one.. as you can see by what ended up happening..

Due to the wind angle our downwinder was going to be a realitively short one and we were going to be blown straight across the top part of the bay and straight to the oppersite beach..

We were almost at that beach when I lost my board and due to the 45 deg angle I swam left and straight for the beach.. and ran down the beach to were the boards washed up and Ann had swam in after them.. We both arrived to the boards at the same time and only seconds from when a local beach walker had helped drag our boards out of the water..

So I hope this last edit will let people watching it know that it all ended ok.. But the moral of the story is.. ALWAYS WEAR A LEASH..  :)

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: ALWAYS wear a leash.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 08:27:42 PM »
how is your gopro setup look like?

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 08:36:05 PM »
DJ. This is something I will send to all my downwinding friends. It should be mandatory watching, not only for those newbies to downwinding, but also to those of us who are experienced at doing this. Thank you for taking the time to put this together and for sharing with us. Watching this could save your life..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 03:07:03 AM »
One way to not forget your leash is to always leave it attached to your board.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 04:43:42 AM »
That was pretty scary. I've never had things g that bad on a standup board, although I have on my windsurfer. Lost a whole rig into the Hudson River once.

Great video, DJ. I'm glad that your camera survived the trip!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 05:09:37 AM »
Nice "final" edit.  This should be  "stickied " to the top of this sub forum... Admin???

A day ago on a "downbreezer" that upped to 25-30 knot gusts, I fell in some messy reflected waves and found myself watching my Glide flip away...but then felt the reassuring yank of my leash.  I was only a couple hundred meters from shore, but no matter.  Always wear your leash.  Thanks DJ.
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 05:44:12 AM »
That was pretty scary. I've never had things go that bad on a standup board, although I have on my windsurfer. Lost a whole rig into the Hudson River once.

I.S. You just jogged my memory about windsurfing and safety leashes....

I lost a rig windsurfing when the universal joint sheared on a bad landing; clean shear, and the board just flipped and skidded away without any chance of me catching it. I was left with the rig in the impact zone and decided it best to keep hold of it. It took me an hour, and a beating to get to shore. After that I got those two small pieces of sewn and looped webbing to encompass the universal joint (common now), AND a leash to connect my rig via this webbing to the board (not seen now). I had to put in a leash plug in the nose of the board to attach it to.  I then carried a spare universal attached to a spare mast extender base and the male part of the mast base in a pack around my waist. My buddies gave me shit for carrying this around, and I never used it in the 3-4 years I carried it, but they never had had a rig separate from a board in pounding surf. Stuff happens, and it is best to be prepared..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 07:22:36 AM »
That was the most watchable 5 minute video I have seen in a long while. 

From 2:45 onward was chilling.

At 3:20 you take out your friend trying to save you.

At 4:10 the flipping and rolling was what death must look like at sea.

Mandatory for anyone.  Especially anyone that thinks they can catch a board in the wind.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:25:10 AM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 07:48:21 AM »
So with all the recent posts about this and my own peculiar safety biases, yesterday I went on a blistering downwinder and realized halfway in that I wasn't wearing my camelback, which I rely on as a pfd/swimming aid in the event of a broken leash. In 55 degree water being frothed to foam and breaking swells by a 35kph wind I wonder whether or not I'd make the shore from the middle. What a knucklehead! I certainly can't trust my memory.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 07:58:08 AM »
WOW!
You absolutely captured it.....start of a good day, sky and water changing to...ominous, big water and big waves even came out, and then.......whoops.
Yep, there you go thinking about getting your leash, look at the shore, look back out, look at the shore, look back out........we got it........
Really amazing how the board and camera lined up there for some of that.
Doris Day? How the heck did you find that?
Very nice.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 09:00:47 AM »
Wow. Good to see the happy ending. As it was it looked like the kind of video that has a Kodiak bear coming up behind the unsuspecting photographer doing a selfie while he plays with a cub.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 09:19:06 AM »
Holy smokes, that was an amazing video, and your music choices made it that much better if not more morbid. I don't think Sufjan had SUPing in mind when he wrote that song.

I'm RELIGIOUS about wearing my leash, even though I'm a flatwater paddler. I've seen some on the zone safe that's silly, but leashes are not uncomfortable, & I value my life. All it would take is for me to fall in a river,get separated by a boulder or something, and have my board go down with a swift current and get separated from me. Not worth the risk.

Glad it worked out okay, thanks for posting that!
My journey to financial independence
https://accidentalfire.com
Just.  Get.  Out.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 11:46:32 AM »
DJ - the final edit looks good.  Safe and back on land alive.  Nice happy ending.  :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 01:33:18 PM »
Second moral of the story, never give up.  Thanks DJ!

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 07:24:53 AM »
Great video, DJ. Thanks for your effort in moving the herd another step forward.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal