Author Topic: Best SUP board to Rent  (Read 4468 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Best SUP board to Rent
« on: May 24, 2015, 11:03:17 AM »
Our yacht club will be installing a SUP rack for members and is considering renting out boards to them.  Any thoughts or other suggestions on light - easy to paddle boards for new paddlers 40 to 80 yo > and between 120 to 250 lbs.  Will be used for paddling around 4 miles in the ocean or stored on boats to be used over a weekend.

Tested this board yesterday and it worked fine for a large range of paddlers - further it was quite lightweight and easy to carry.

Thanks
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Best SUP board to Rent
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 02:24:15 PM »
eagle

Those boards are nice but I gotta say the BEST performance/durability/price (Not to mention really nice guys running the company right here in the USA) Take a look (google up) Bounce SUP Boards

If you need more details or more contact info feel free to Email me

I have no vested interest in these boards/company I just really like their boards
We will be putting these in our Rental fleet

Jimk
www.extremewindsurfing.com

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 05:26:44 PM »
The rental place in Balboa, Paddle Power, uses a Rivera 11' 6", as their primary size.  They do some larger boards.  I paddled one last week when my daughter was visiting from Baltimore.  It felt stable and fairly light. 
The other change I noticed, is that they have gone to adjustable paddles.  That cuts down on the number of paddles they have to have in stock.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 05:26:53 PM »
The rental place in Balboa, Paddle Power, uses a Rivera 11' 6", as their primary size.  They do some larger boards.  I paddled one last week when my daughter was visiting from Baltimore.  It felt stable and fairly light. 
The other change I noticed, is that they have gone to adjustable paddles.  That cuts down on the number of paddles they have to have in stock.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 08:49:45 PM »
JimK - the TCT Bounce looks very tough and a good board for a rental - will pass on your contact details.

http://bouncesup.com/durable-construction-paddleboards/#cruiser

HBSteve - the 11'-6" primary size makes a lot of sense - probably anything bigger will be too hard to handle for our user base on their boats.  Also your note about adjustable paddles is excellent.

http://www.rivierapaddlesurf.com/products/riviera-106-stand-up-paddle-board

We are still in the evaluation stage and keeping our options open.  Many members are active between 60-70 yo - and since more and more members paddle every year getting a SUP rack made sense.

Thanks for the suggestions.  :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 09:19:27 PM »
I agree with Jim - the Bounce is solid. Also very stable. Made in Oceanside, CA!
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 12:38:59 PM »
Thermoplastic infused fiberglass. Should be almost bulletproof. I'm impressed by the weight, that's pretty good for that tech. The molds have to be expensive thought to handle the temperature without distortion.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

beaner

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
Around or on yachts, I think inflatables are the way to go. They're like a big fender with little chance of damaging boats or boards during use. Also, they can be deflated for onboard storage if needed. The Starboard Astro Blend you tested would be a good choice.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 02:25:16 PM »
The Bounce looks like a great rental board - but beaner also makes a good point.  Most of the members do have inflatable dinghies.

Some also have rigid SUPs and rigid kayaks - so the exec will have to determine the pros and cons - including the cost.

All valid points - thanks.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 12:36:57 AM »
The Starboard Astro boards are single skin and single chamber, I think. So if the valve sprung a leak or one of your clients brushed up against something sharp it could deflate completely like a balloon leaving them with only the buoyancy they are wearing to keep them afloat. A hard board will always provide buoyancy even if it is smashed in two. I guess it's all about the risks you are willing to take with your business.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 06:01:42 AM »
Our local Yacht Club has just purchased SUPs for the members. They have chosen hard boards from an unknown brand from China for adults and 9'4" iSUPs from RedPaddle for the kids. Their reasoning is the kids will do less damage to themselves and others and anything they hit with the iSUPs. The adult boards are 11' cruisers and don't need to be ISUPs and actually are cheaper than the branded iSUPs. Be interesting to revisit them in 4 years and see what has lasted. They will store them under cover.

The key issue is repair as most hard boards take in water if dinged and so they need to be checked regularly and repaired. ISUPs don't suffer from the ding, but can develop slow leaks over time. They usually come with a repair kit so again it's important to have someone inspecting them from time to time to check if they are deflating and find the leak and repair.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:07:20 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 08:48:54 AM »
Thanks A10 and O-S.  Leaks and repairs are something to consider.  The hope is that the break-even point for the racks and boards will be a relatively short period.  If interest is more than expected another rack could be purchased - each holds 14 boards.  For some like us > we would not use the rack - we just store our Bark and SB on our boat - and JL and SIC at home.  That way when we shuttle for a DW our boards go direct from home.

We are lucky where we live > low snowfall on our beaches allows easy AW and DW access all-year round.  Best is in the winter on a sunny day - no one on the water and people on shore in parkas.  They look at us in amazement when we get back in and ask was it cold? > as we remove our neoprenes with steam billowing.  :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal